Saturn V first flight - 50 years ago today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious to know what NASA will do for the 50th Anniversary of the first landing on the moon in July of 2019.

Many years ago while visiting The Kennedy Space Center it was sad seeing a formerly flight worthy Saturn V laying outside unprotected. There were bird nests in the rocket. At least they restored the Saturn V and placed it indoors for future generations to see. I doubt that we will see a large magnificent rocket such as the Saturn V every fly again.

All the best,
Bob

This is how I remember it.
My brother and I read about development of the Saturn V for years and anticipated with much excitement the first launch, - set our alarm clock to get up early and watch CBS Walter Cronkite broadcast it live...
News media were allowed to be fairly close...Walter Cronkite's reactions....priceless.
[video=youtube;1uoVfZpx5dY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uoVfZpx5dY[/video]

My dad who was a flight engineer for AA took my brother and I down to the Cape to watch Apollo 11 lift off. No one could have prepared me to witness what I saw. It was the most intense, body shaking event I ever experienced bar none.

Back