Madcow Mongoose 38mm Carbon Fiber Minimum Diameter Build Planning

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you just sport fly...who cares.
Want more performance, bevel.
Very simple hand jig can be done with a couple of C-clamps, scrap wood and sandpaper. Add a bit of elbow grease and 15-20 minutes later....done.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...t-seal-of-approval-build!&p=534237#post534237
Jim Jarvis shows a very similar method but flipped - the fin is held stationary and the sanding paper is bonded to a board that is pulled across the edge. Requires careful layout but anyone who has seen his fins knows the results are extremely consistent.

Just Google 'TooCarbYen Sustainer Fin Can Rebuild.pdf' and you'll find a link to the document. The fin section starts on page 24 but the entire document is well worth reviewing.

Tony

This stuff does an amazing job. And it holds up really really well to being dragged across the playa after landing. Just make sure to use a respirator when you're using it, it contains cyanide. This is what I plan on using on my Mongoose.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043B7UQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here it is on one of the translucent Wildman FG tubes. It looks like a big piece of candy, the picture really doesn't do it justice.

Do you prep the surface first with fine sandpaper before shooting the clearcoat? Only way I've ever gotten the glass appearance with a rattle can is several layers of clear and doing a final wet sanding with progressively finer paper. Like starting with 1000
and working down to 2000 and even finer. All the while taking care not to take off all the clearcoat. Then use rubbing compound followed by polishing compound and then a good carwax.

Just shooting clear on the colored glass would save on the prep, primer and color coat steps. I like it. Kurt

IIRC, I hit the tube with about 300 grit before applying the water slide decals, then just put the clear directly on top of that. That was my only prep and finishing. There is some orange peel on the clear that you can see if you look close, but in person it looks better than anything I've gotten out of a rattle can. The orange peel could probably be cleaned up pretty easily, but I didn't bother with it since where I launch at usually chews up the paint layer (Although this has held up really well against that too).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back