Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Reduce Photo Size ?

I just bought a new Canon 6Ti digital camera and down-loaded some photo's to my PC. The photo's are on the order of 8 to 9 MEG each. If I try to load 3 photo's to TRF, it is too much. Is there some way to deduce the photo size?

Most any photo editing tool will do it. You can also get a free Flickr account. Once uploaded, numerous smaller sizes are automatically available for download. You are stuck with those, however. A photo editor will let you select most any size that you want.

Dick Stafford
    The member formerly known as the Pointy-Haired Moderator.
    The Original Rocket Dungeon
    Volunteer compiler of product news for ROCKETS Magazine

I have used a product called ACDsee for my basic photo editing and resizing for years. I like it. Not free.
    http://www.acdsystems.com/
    TRA 13430, Level 3

"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Windoze's Paint will do it. Not as as nice as the many photo editors out there, but it is free. I use Paintshop Pro. If you have a Mac and it doesn't have something like that, I'd throw it away LOL.
    Dick Stafford

I use Adobe Lightroom for all my photo editing.
    NAR Level 2 #96210

I use a free program called PhotoScape.
    NAR 91107, Level 2

I really, really hate bugs.

Does the camera itself allow you to select a smaller resolution size when snapping photos?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Rocketry Forum mobile app
    Jim V

Champlain Region Model Rocket Club
    CRMRC
    Facebook
    NAR #101467
    L1 - 5/21/16 Estes Mega Der Red Max H128W to 1,021'

Quote Originally Posted by smugglervt View Post
    Does the camera itself allow you to select a smaller resolution size when snapping photos?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Rocketry Forum mobile app
    I don't know for sure. So far I have not seen anything in the manual or the download software.

I thank everyone for their advice. I am still checking out the above suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by smugglervt View Post
    Good suggestion. In addition to making photos easier to share online, switching to a lower resolution may allow you to take more photos in a burst to better capture liftoffs. The photos won't fill up your memory card as quickly and it won't take as long to copy them. Unless you reduce the resolution too much, the loss in quality probably won't be noticable. The size and quality of camera's lens and sensor are more important than the number of pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
    Good suggestion. In addition to making photos easier to share online, switching to a lower resolution may allow you to take more photos in a burst to better capture liftoffs. The photos won't fill up your memory card as quickly and it won't take as long to copy them. Unless you reduce the resolution too much, the loss in quality probably won't be noticable. The size and quality of camera's lens and sensor are more important than the number of pixels.
    You really have to determine what is right for you. Most of my photos are viewed online and they don't require much resolution. Photos of Facebook for instance look just fine. However, there are many photos that I take of which I want to see a lot of detail in one small area. Thus, I want high res off the camera and I'll go from there. I personally load all my photos into Photo Gallery, which makes it really easy to quickly do basic editing on a bunch of photos and to clone photos that I want to crop down to focus on details. Where I need more, I resort to the PaintShop.
    Dick Stafford

Quote Originally Posted by rstaff3 View Post
    However, there are many photos that I take of which I want to see a lot of detail in one small area. Thus, I want high res off the camera and I'll go from there.
    Using higher resolution does allow you more leeway to crop and zoom. And, if your goal is to be able to isolate details, then you should set the camera to it's highest resolution.

But, you don't necessarily need more pixels to be able to zoom in to see details. For example, I have a 6MP camera with a large, fast lens that will take much better images of details like that than my cell phone's camera that captures 20MP. Advertising high megapixel counts for cameras today is sort of like slicing a pizza into more slices. The true resolution of a camera is determined more by the lens and sensor than the number of pixels.
    Some cameras, however, use less of the sensor (and, therefore less of the light from the lens) in lower-res modes. I think this is mainly the case, though, just for action cameras like GoPro where using less of the sensor in lower-res modes results in less fisheye.

So true, but I want full res on all my devices. You def have better cameras than I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Rocketry Forum mobile app
    Dick Stafford

I did find a way to change the photo sizing for the camera in the manual.

Free program for batch resizing: faststone photo resizer
    Thou shalt not violate causality within my historic light cone. Or Else.
    NAR member 92906

Northern Illinois Rocket Assembly and Test Facility (NIRATF)
    Quote Originally Posted by aerostadt View Post
    I just bought a new Canon 6Ti digital camera and down-loaded some photo's to my PC. The photo's are on the order of 8 to 9 MEG each. If I try to load 3 photo's to TRF, it is too much. Is there some way to deduce the photo size?
    I have had that same problem. My work around is to email the pictures to myself. Cheap (free) and already installed on your computer. The email program resize the photos. When the picture is attached to the email, you have the option of several sizes... small, medium, large, or full resolution. Large works fine for TRF pictures. And you get to shoot the highest resolution your camera can do and keep the full resolution pix on your computer.
    Proud member of WOOSH, FVR, IR, QCRS, (RC)2
    2013 APCP: 48,397.3 Ns (18% P)
    Highest altitude achieved: 21,981' AGL

"Gravity is a cruel and unpredictable mistress"

*cough* irfanview works nicely.
    Rex
    L2-competitor 3, AT J350W, 8/27/2016, Bong, 2557'
    my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0gB...?feature=watch

Quote Originally Posted by rstaff3 View Post
    Windoze's Paint will do it. Not as as nice as the many photo editors out there, but it is free. I use Paintshop Pro. If you have a Mac and it doesn't have something like that, I'd throw it away LOL.
    Macís come with a great tool called Preview, that contrary to its name does far more than preview. It has full image editing capabilities as well as the ability to modify PDFs. Like a lot of included Mac apps most folks have never even looked at it but itís far more powerful than anything included with Windows.

Tony
    why do people put so much stuff in their sigs?

Quote Originally Posted by manixFan View Post
    Macís come with a great tool called Preview, that contrary to its name does far more than preview. It has full image editing capabilities as well as the ability to modify PDFs. Like a lot of included Mac apps most folks have never even looked at it but itís far more powerful than anything included with Windows.

Tony
    I assumed so much. Stuff like that has been a strong point with Mac.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Rocketry Forum mobile app
    Dick Stafford

I've been using the Image Resizer "Powertoy" for years on PC's. Easy, quick, free. One just
    right clicks on a photo file in Windows Explorer, and the resizer is an option in the pop-up.

I often cannot tell the difference between the original and the re-sized, unless I zoom in to pixel level,
    so the algorithm used is pretty solid. For conversion from DSLR originals, to an image intended for posting
    it is ideal.

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/