New scratch build: Bomber Betty

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the tee-nuts installed in the aft centering ring, and sanded the rail button blocks flush. I also marked the fin slots. Those wrinkles are bad,
but I don't know if they're bad enough to warrant buying another $50 body tube. I don't think they'll cause any structural weakness, especially with the added strength from the motor mount and fins.

052.jpg

053.JPG

054.JPG

055.JPG

056.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

I had a length of 38mm Blue Tube motor tube leftover from something, so I decided to use it. I got the forward centering ring epoxied to it, and the motor mount epoxied into the body tube.

059.JPG

060.jpg

061.JPG

062.JPG

065.JPG

067.JPG

Finally got the fin slots cut. That LOC airframe is some thick stuff. I need a better knife. I also sanded the fins a little bit, the tabs weren't quite long enough.

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.JPG

071.JPG

Yeah, Bluto has become Popeye without spinach. He's still sitting here in my garage, getting dustier and dustier, and I see him everyday. But I'm at the point where I prefer big dumb rockets. I just have no desire to mess with electronics, other than the Chute Release. My original goal with Bluto was to have two air started H motors (which means a timer), and a central K. I do have the timer and two altimeters for him, but when I started installing the altimeters, I got a little overwhelmed. Plus, I'd have to create a compartment for the timer. Then there are the shear pins and ground testing. I just don't have the energy or desire for it all. I've thought about simplifying things and launching it single deploy with the Chute Release, but that would be a lot of volume for motor deploy. I know I could easily add BP if needed, and ground testing would be minimal. I've also thought about using air starts with motor deploy (I really like the idea of the air starts). And then there's the cost of the motors. One K and two H's would be at least $160, and that's for one flight. I do already have the motor hardware, though.

So yeah, he still sits in my garage.

000.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Got the fins epoxied on. You know, that fin alignment guide has got to be the best thing I ever made for rocketry. It has really served me well.
I also got the internal fillets done, and started on the external fillets.

072.JPG

073.JPG

074.JPG

077.JPG

079.JPG

080.JPG

083.JPG

I had to make another centering ring and the baffle, both to fit inside the coupler.

095.JPG

096.JPG

097.JPG

098.JPG

099.JPG

100.JPG

101.JPG

I drilled the vent holes in the baffle with a 1/2" Forstner bit.

103.JPG

104.JPG

105.JPG

106.JPG

107.JPG

I drilled the holes in the baffle for the 5/16" u-bolt, and made the backing plate out of 1/8 x 2" aluminum bar. I'll have to trim the plate a little bit.

109.JPG

110.JPG

111.JPG

112.JPG

113.JPG

114.JPG

115.JPG

Yeah, Bluto has become Popeye without spinach. He's still sitting here in my garage, getting dustier and dustier, and I see him everyday. But I'm at the point where I prefer big dumb rockets. I just have no desire to mess with electronics, other than the Chute Release. My original goal with Bluto was to have two air started H motors (which means a timer), and a central K. I do have the timer and two altimeters for him, but when I started installing the altimeters, I got a little overwhelmed. Plus, I'd have to create a compartment for the timer. Then there are the shear pins and ground testing. I just don't have the energy or desire for it all. I've thought about simplifying things and launching it single deploy with the Chute Release, but that would be a lot of volume for motor deploy. I know I could easily add BP if needed, and ground testing would be minimal. I've also thought about using air starts with motor deploy (I really like the idea of the air starts). And then there's the cost of the motors. One K and two H's would be at least $160, and that's for one flight. I do already have the motor hardware, though.

Bluto, not Brutus...I’m old and forget details and other things like...um...never mind.

Not often you see an av-bay the size of a water heater.

And you would probably need a full fledged retrieval crew to haul Bluto back to the truck.

Bluto, not Brutus...I’m old and forget details and other things like...um...never mind.

I'm with you on that one, brother.

Not often you see an av-bay the size of a water heater.

It does have quite a bit of volume.

And you would probably need a full fledged retrieval crew to haul Bluto back to the truck.

Naw, Olga is tough. She's ex-KGB and even carries a switchblade. She could carry Bluto.

I actually did some playing around with sims. He would hit about 2000' on a K456 Dark Matter, and about 2600' on a K550 White Lightning. Both motors are $113. Like I said, I do already have the hardware, except for a forward seal disc. The K456 needs the disc, the K550 does not.

Enjoying watching this one! Love Bertha / Betty upscales. Want to make my own but the nose cone is a killer.

No, I won't have Betty ready in time. I'll have to wait until January. I will be launching Thump In My Down, though. His first flight.

184.JPG

Finally got some work done on Betty. I installed the centering ring in the coupler, and covered the u-bolt nuts with epoxy. Then got the baffle epoxied in.

128.JPG

126.JPG

134.JPG

137.JPG

140.JPG

142.JPG

Really like fin design on this bird Jim.Can't wait to see those pictures of the launch.I agree with the cost of high power motors plus the hardware $$$$$$$$$$

For years I've used pieces of ABS pipe to set the position of bulkheads, and keep them level. Cutting them square has always been an issue for me.
I finally figured out that if I use couplers, the ends will be square regardless if the ends of the pipe aren't quite square. Using that method, I epoxied the bulkhead in at 12" from the top.

149.jpg

150.jpg

151.jpg

152.jpg

For years I've used pieces of ABS pipe to set the position of bulkheads, and keep them level. Cutting them square has always been an issue for me.
I finally figured out that if I use couplers, the ends will be square regardless if the ends of the pipe aren't quite square. Using that method, I epoxied the bulkhead in at 12" from the top.

Great idea! Took looking at the photo for me to understand what you were saying (I am also just getting started on the first cup o java....)

I realized that it's the sides of the pipe that keep the couplers square, not the ends.

153.jpg

154.jpg

Using the retainer to set the depth, I got the aft centering ring epoxied in. And using JB Weld, attached the retainer.

155.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg

159.jpg

160.jpg

162.jpg

Back