Ok need some help downscale help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
I wanna - yeah I know-:facepalm: Downscale my Madcow Hawk 23b -2.6 -
Here ya go K-Tesh , need a little help here- .

Will a bt 55 - maybe 60 option work ?
5zmt1l.jpg

If you have OR it has a Scale function, by selecting the scale you can enter the new tube diameter hit ok and it redoes the sim for the new dimensions, after that its just tweaking to make sure mmts and such are the correct size.

1.637 / 2.6 = 0.62961

there's your scale factor for a 'BT-60' (1.637OD) tube from a 2.6" dia tube. Multiply all your dims by that..

If you have OR it has a Scale function, by selecting the scale you can enter the new tube diameter hit ok and it redoes the sim for the new dimensions, after that its just tweaking to make sure mmts and such are the correct size.

Agreed! - The "SCALE" feature in OpenRocket makes it easy.
~Apogee Components has the Rocksim file.
~OpenRocket opens the file.
~In OpenRocket, Click "EDIT" then "SCALE".
~The body tube of the Madcow kit is 2.64" diameter. A BT60 tube is 1.64" Dia. BT55 is 1.325" dia.

OpenRocket scales the design for you.

Find all the body tube dimensions @ Erockets web site. https://www.erockets.biz/body-tube-sizes/

Capture.JPG

In OR, scaling is super easy.
Click Edit,
Scale,
Scale from _____(original dimenstion) to______ (new dimension).
Then like Rich said, go in and tweak your CRs, MMTs, and fin thickness.
Many components are preloaded and can be selected under "select preset" after you initially select the component.

*edit* Looks like Scott jumped in as I was posting...so, yeah, what he says as well.

Last edited:
Looks like you have a good grasp on what you need to get started. Besides that, I am not at the computer right now.

Just remember to update the components to reflect the new dimensions. Sure OR can scale things, but it will be up to you to make sure that things fit the way you expect.

Back