5 Reasons Going To Mars is a TERRIBLE Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Error I noticed - Curiosity's wheel issues were not caused by dust as he seemed to imply. Future wheel motor issues might be.

As far as the search for life is concerned, an effort which is by far THE most important goal IMO because it would imply that life is plentiful in the universe if it is found to have developed independently on two planets in a single planetary system, the nearly inevitable biocontamination of Mars caused by human presence is the biggest strike against manned missions or colonization if done prior to finding extraterrestrial life there.

What I'd do:

1. Develop advanced robotics and AI, technologies also highly useful on Earth, and use those to explore the entire solar system for the cost of one manned Mars mission, looking for evidence of current or past life or conditions where they could have developed. Use rovers and sample and return techniques.
2. Only AFTER life is found, use that AI and robotic tech to prep Mars (or wherever) for a manned mission if colonization is the goal.

[video=youtube;ESQ1bKd7Los]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESQ1bKd7Los[/video]

We shouldn’t goto mars, because there is nothing of value there.

Finding life is a meaningless goal.

Sorry ....couldn't resist. :facepalm:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On second thought...Google YouTube:New Rule: Make Earth Great Again | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)
Obviously he has his opinions, we have ours.

Language warning.

Last edited:
As a fan of hiking, backpacking, biking, and kayaking, I'm kind of an explorer. I like to venture into new places just to see what's there. Because of that I think going to Mars is a great idea. Even if there's nothing there, at least then we'll know there's no reason to go back. Same goes for Enceladus, Titan, etc.

Going to Mars is a great idea. Landing on Mars isn't such a good idea. Having a crew in orbit around Mars controlling robots on Mars would allow more exploration of the planet in a few weeks than all the past missions have accomplished in years. Currently commands sent to the rovers on Mars can take up to 20 minutes to arrive and signals back to Earth take as long. So, rovers cannot be controlled in real-time as they could be from Mars orbit.

And, not having people land reduces the risk of polluting the Martian environment with Earth microbes. People landing on Mars would not be able to get near the most likely places to find life because of the contamination concern. Robots could be cleared to examine such areas.

Unfortunately, getting public support for a manned mission that doesn't actually land on Mars may be difficult.

Except a safe haven when the next large asteroid strikes the earth would be pretty valuable I think.

Mars or anywhere else in the universe will never ever be a safe haven for us. If it were meant to be, it would be much easier. Eight people ran into trouble here on earth after a "short" period of time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2

Except a safe haven when the next large asteroid strikes the earth would be pretty valuable I think.

So how would that work? We send 7 billion people to Mars if there is a big asteroid headed for Earth?

You're being waaaaay too generous. I'm sure we'd only send the people who could pay for the trip. Oh, and a few rocket engineers.

Who gets to go? How many people around the world lack in basic life amenities, will they get a ticket to Mars? What about the sick and weak? The rich and pompous? Who decides? Count me out, I'd rather be at ground zero of said asteroid than watch people demand a new life.

We can’t set up a colony in the desert on Earth that works. So umm... yea. There’s that.

[video=youtube;uPSqHCyVmY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPSqHCyVmY8[/video]

Who gets to go? How many people around the world lack in basic life amenities, will they get a ticket to Mars? What about the sick and weak? The rich and pompous? Who decides? Count me out, I'd rather be at ground zero of said asteroid than watch people demand a new life.

Two words - robotic exploration.

‘Space blindness’ must be solved before mission to Mars, scientist says
2 Dec 2017

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/dec/02/space-blindness-must-be-solved-before-mission-to-m/

To boldly go where no one has gone before, you need to see where you are going.

Research performed on the International Space Station shows prolonged time in space can cause temporary, and sometimes permanent, blindness, said the space station’s chief scientist recently on “Nevada Newsmakers.”

Space Could Leave You Blind, And Scientists Say They've Finally Figured Out Why
29 Nov 2016

https://www.sciencealert.com/we-fin...-in-space-and-it-s-bad-news-for-mars-missions

A mysterious syndrome has been impairing astronauts’ vision on the International Space Station, causing untreatable nearsightedness that lingers for months even after they’ve returned to Earth.

The problem is so bad that two-thirds of astronauts report having deteriorated eyesight after spending time in orbit. Now scientists say they finally have some answers - and it’s not looking good for our prospects of getting to Mars.

Back