Tripoli Mid-Ohio Season Opener November 18-19, 2017.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeG

Reaction score
Just got back from MidWest Power 15. Great time but not so great weather. No one can do anything about that and everyone there did the best they could to get as many rockets off on Friday as they could. That being said, I still have a few that are prepped and ready to go. I'm sure others do too.

By coincidence, the Tripoli Mid-Ohio season is just about to kick off now that the crops are off the fields and anything you were going to fly at Midwest Power you can fly here.

We have an 18,000' MSL (Approx 16,500AGL) waiver and are planning a two day event as our first launch on November 18 and 19. Tripoli research launch rules will be strictly adhered to.

Those of you who have been here know the field. We believe it to be one of the best in this part of the country. Lots of wide open spaces and very feww trees.

We have the latest, updated, wireless, Wilson F/X launch system for your trouble free launching comfort and pleasure. The field is easily accessible, only two turns from I70. This is an O motor capable field as long as you keep it under the waiver.

Minimum of two TAP members on site both days. Please give us a heads up if you plan to attempt a certification flight. At least one L3 attempt is already scheduled along with a 4-M motor cluster/two stage. Come and join us for two days of fun.

For more information Visit us on our FACEBOOK page https://www.facebook.com/Tripolimidohio/

or our website at https://tripolimidohio.com/

We will post updates here as they become available.

Latest update on 11/15 launch has been postponed due to weather. See post #35.

Last edited:
Possibly a TRA world record attempt too...Since Momma Nature didn't like us this weekend. I'll keep my eye on the weather but, a couple of us are interested in coming. :D:D

P.S. What were you guys "feeding Gary" at the banquet? I've NEVER seen him so "flush" per say...

Dude, he was redder than a To-mat-to...:lol:

Possibly a TRA world record attempt too...Since Momma Nature didn't like us this weekend. I'll keep my eye on the weather but, a couple of us are interested in coming. :D:D

P.S. What were you guys "feeding Gary" at the banquet? I've NEVER seen him so "flush" per say...

Hi Gus,

Hey, we would love to have you. The more the merrier.

I think Gary just spent to much time in the Sun on Saturday.

Looks like the Gross family will be there Saturday morning. I could only make it to MWP for Saturday & that was a washout, so I have some rockets still prepped. Plus Brandon & Jenny are both off work.

Mike Gross

Gus, wind burn.....

Can I get directions to launch site from the Chicago route. I would be coming from West of Madison Wi so not sure of best route.
Thanks
Gary

The address is 8345 SR 41 South Charleston, Ohio 45368

I-70 will get you to within a few miles of the field.

At exit 59, take ramp right for OH-41 toward S Charleston
Turn right onto OH-41 / S Charleston Pike go 4.4 mi
Arrive at 8345 SR 41 South Charleston

Can I get directions to launch site from the Chicago route. I would be coming from West of Madison Wi so not sure of best route.
Thanks
Gary

In a nutshell: Take I-90 E, I-294 S, I-65 S and I-70 E to OH-41 S/State Rte 41 S in Springfield. Take exit 59 from I-70 E.

This is the shortest but there is some construction. It wasn't major when we came through yesterday though.

I'll see if I can get my brother to go, he's going to be starting a 3rd shift position in December, so this launch may be the last hoorah for the two of us for a while.
IF we can go, I plan to fly:
Scratch "Minute Man" 29mm minimum diameter rocket - Apogee F10-8 - Altitude expected: 5-6K, which might break the current TRA record!
LOC Graduator modified, I call it "Whoppins" might get it to fly on a baby H DMS motor. Nope, doesn't look like I'll get it finished in time. :(
Estes Partizon - CTI H163WT - CTI G106SK
Estes Mammoth - AT F20W
Maybe some small LPR & MPR stuff as well.
I'm hoping to take the "TMP" test at this launch, between 2 possibly 3 TAP members there, it should work out!
And as always, just having a good time with fellow rocketeers!

Thanks,

What TRA record attempt might happen? I know of at least one. :blush:

Thanks,

Oh, and also, is there anyone who has a launch pad for 29mm minimum diameter rockets? I'm looking to see if I can borrow one??
PM me if you have one, and if you're attending this launch.

Thanks,

Maybe 2 TRA records then, my son and I will attempt K-Hybrid record, if we can finish our project in time.

What TRA record attempt might happen? I know of at least one. :blush:
Thanks,

Shhhhhh...Secret...Secret!

I expect some new magic tricks out of you! ;)

Maybe 2 TRA records then, my son and I will attempt K-Hybrid record, if we can finish our project in time.

Good! It would be great too see you again John. I wish you the best of luck with your project.

I will be patiently watching the weather, namely wind speed/cloud cover. Time will tell when the winds of November come blowing.

I will be patiently watching the weather, namely wind speed/cloud cover. Time will tell when the winds of November come blowing.

My grandson Jake and I might show up for his L3 certification.

Sorry, just jinxed the launch. Now you can expect all kinds of natural disasters: typhoons, earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis and a loss to Iowa.

Too soon?

My grandson Jake and I might show up for his L3 certification.

Sorry, just jinxed the launch. Now you can expect all kinds of natural disasters: typhoons, earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis and a loss to Iowa.

Too soon?

YES! Let's do this! :D I'll be watching the weather, let's stay in touch.

Good! It would be great too see you again John. I wish you the best of luck with your project.

Gus, Maybe you can help me set up a PerfectFlite altimeter. Can't use one of mine for a record attempt, it would be unseemly.... I will be watching the weather too, hope we get a chance to get together.

This is iffy for me but I’m going to try and be there for your support Gus and maybe fly 1 or 2.
Hope to meet you Jderimig - actually from your posts I thought you were leaving cates in New Mexico.

Gary, Joe hope to see you guys as well

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Hope to meet you Jderimig - actually from your posts I thought you were leaving cates in New Mexico.

There is another "JD" on the forum, John DeMar is the one in NM. I am the one in Sunny Ohio.

We try to get up and running around 10 AM or so. BTW, new rules posted on the TMO site and the FB page regarding multi-stage flights. I hate to be "one of those guys" but there are also rules posted under local resources/documents/club rules that you need to read if you have never flown with us before. The big ones are:

-Obey the 5 mph speed limit posted on the access road
-Do not drive/park in the fields

Common sense seem to have escaped a lot of folks these days. Sigh........

I know that it's a long shot at this point, but the weather forecast is saying clouds with 5-10 MPH winds, and in the afternoon the sun should pop out. Sunday looks windier but sunnier.
I hope for the best weather.

Thanks,

Looks great Andrew. I hope to be there Sunday for Gus support and maybe fly a couple

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I know that it's a long shot at this point, but the weather forecast is saying clouds with 5-10 MPH winds, and in the afternoon the sun should pop out. Sunday looks windier but sunnier.
I hope for the best weather.

Thanks,

Me too Andrew. Hope you can make it!

Well, this is the latest forecast:
Saturday, high: 52 degrees 90% of showers. Breezy, winds up to 25 MPH.
Sunday, high: 34 degrees mostly sunny, winds 7-12 MPH gusts to 18 MPH.

Thanks,

-Do not drive/park in the fields

Common sense seem to have escaped a lot of folks these days. Sigh........

Hey Gary, you should make a sign that says, "If its been plowed, cars ain't allowed"

Back