And I Had Worried That *I* Was Crazy!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hahahahaaaaa... I could see two old dudes in a bid war over it. They might be fighting over a rare kids toy they had decades ago for all we know. Ya gotta know when to drop egos. Looks finless though.

And there are at least three, if not four, people who want this REALLY badly...

It really gets insane to pay that much for something any of us can make from the cardboard tube and a block of balsa.

Just because someone else is crazier than you, it doesn't mean that you aren't! :grin:

WOW, I have one of those and fly it every couple years. I guess I should put it in a display case.

How did they do the fins on that back then? Were the clear fins permanently attached or was there some kind of detachable scheme involved? I remember that kit in the catalog, but I've never seen one.

On a similar note (people being crazy / getting caught up in 'bidding wars'):

I was at the Vancouver City Police auction many many years ago. I had lost my bike (stolen), and was A) looking for it, B) looking to get a new one. There were a lot of bikes! Pretty much all mountain bikes. Now, at this time, "full suspension" was somewhat new, but a few 'cheapo' outfits had one in their line up. I had a front-row seat, to scope out the offerings and to be sure my hand was seen when the auction started. After a while a 'full suspension bike' got wheeled up on stage. I knew it, I've seen it before. it was the current "Canadian Tire*" brand bike. It was selling, at the time, for abut $300 in the store, new. the bidding ended somewhere in the low $700 range. I was quite amazed..

* Canadian Tire is a Canadian auto-parts & outdoor sporting goods store. Akin to Walmart or Target, they offer their own line (among others) of products aimed at families, 1st timers, casual people, etc..

How did they do the fins on that back then? Were the clear fins permanently attached or was there some kind of detachable scheme involved? I remember that kit in the catalog, but I've never seen one.

I had one of these kits back when. As I remember it, there was a wrap of transparent plastic that went around the lower body tube. The fins were glued to this. It could be slipped off for display, or back on for launch. This was more than 50 years ago, I have no memory of how it flew (but I bet those fins didn't last long...).

I remember getting into a bidding war over a throttle quadrant for a B-17. I believe I laid down $2300 when someone got it at the last second for $2600. I was going to restore it and resell it. Haven't found one yet.

I funded my rocketry hobby 20 years ago by selling OOP rocket kits, plastic plane and rocket models on e-bay and Rocketry Planet. Seen lots of older model rocket kits go for $200.00 plus.

I funded my rocketry hobby 20 years ago by selling OOP rocket kits, plastic plane and rocket models on e-bay and Rocketry Planet. Seen lots of older model rocket kits go for $200.00 plus.

Just as with most things in life, it's the originals that go for the most. I don't mind at all. I had seen a Hot Wheels 1969 Camaro (it was NOT white) sell for $9200 in it's original blister pak.

Back