Any cool rocket things to see by Port Canaveral or Orlando?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
Have a short day trip coming up in that area and we will have 1/2 a day to kill. I’ve check launch schedules and nothing going on during that time .

Anyone know of any museums rocket / space related? Being that close to Cape Canaveral I would imagine TRFers would have a suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

^ +1 to what Tim said.

I was a tour guide at KSC 17 years ago my junior and senior years in high school, and love that place. Haven't been able to make it back in 15 years, though, so I am sure it has changed quite a bit.

Tim, how long have you been into HPR? Did you fly with the local group down there in 2002? The first HPR launch I attended was at the Palm Bay site in August 2002.

I was at KSC this summer for first time in years since they retired Atlantis. Really awesome to see up close. That’s a must see. Really emotional.
Have only been flying HP for just better than 3 years but yes I fly in Palm Bay (SRA) every month. Did you know Bernie?

Have a short day trip coming up in that area and we will have 1/2 a day to kill. Being that close to Cape Canaveral I would imagine TRFers would have a suggestion

I would suggest- Lido Cabaret (look it up)....after a hard day away from the office.:rolleyes::eek:

Seriously though...KSC and, the Cape are like *Disneyland After Dark* for us rocket junkies! So much too see and do (since I was there eight years ago).

I was at KSC this summer for first time in years since they retired Atlantis. Really awesome to see up close. That’s a must see. Really emotional.
Have only been flying HP for just better than 3 years but yes I fly in Palm Bay (SRA) every month. Did you know Bernie?

I actually dont remember any names from back then! That launch in 2002 was the only one I was able to make it to, as I moved back to the Seattle area from Merritt Island. I really need to make it back down there, as I have only been back once since I moved. I am very tempted to see if I can make it down for the Falcon Heavy launch next month.

Thank you for the replies KSC it is

Thank you for the replies KSC it is

Get there early and buy tickets for the Lunch with an Astronaut. The food is better than at the restaurants and .. you get to meet an astronaut!

If you are going to be able to go back a second day, also purchase one of the Special Interest Tour tickets for one of the afternoons. Regular admission includes a bus tour that takes you to the Saturn V Center (a must-see!) and close to the launch pads. But, the add-on tours take you to see other things closer up. If you are visiting KSC for only one day, though, there is enough to do and see without the add-on tour.

Space Vision/SEDS competition overview Nov.16. Expenses paid by school for winning top three. UTC engineering students started with nothing. We gave it all and it paid off.

Thank you for the replies - I could’ve spent a day and half there easily - the Atlantis building is a must see with a great surprise that I won’t speak about - wouldn’t want to ruin it.

We had lunch with an Astronaut- Mike Foreman who was pretty funny and then to the launch pad 39 A and B which the B will launch on Wed

Kinda makes you want to build some replicas!

Thanks again !

IMG_2952.jpgIMG_2941.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it!

I really need to go back, as I haven't been back since 2002. I miss seeing the launches on a regular basis as well!

Would love to Time a launch but just not going to happen. Wed night is the Space X launch I believe .

Biggest motor I’ve ever seen Launch was John Clifton O5040 launch and my O3400 at AF lol

Would love to Time a launch but just not going to happen. Wed night is the Space X launch I believe .

Biggest motor I’ve ever seen Launch was John Clifton O5040 launch and my O3400 at AF lol

Yep, it is a Falcon 9 with Northrup Gumman's mystery payload.

When I lived on Merritt Island, just 4 miles from the south gate to KSC, I witnessed every shuttle launch from October 1993 to August 2002, with the exception of two or three, and saw too many unmanned launches to count. The most memorable one was the Delta II that exploded about 1,500ft above the pad.

If you can be there for a launch, I cannot recommend it more!

I went to high school in Daytona and well remember the launch of Apollo 11. I drove on my little 150cc Honda motorcycle south of New Smyrna on A1A, past where the paved road ended, then several further south on a dirt path until it ended.

We now live in south Florida, about 3 hours away from KSC. My older son and I camped overnight near the causeway and saw the launch of the last shuttle. We've been to the Visitor Center a few times and it was great, highly recommend. My younger son, now 9, is the one who rekindled my interest in rocketry. He's never been to KSC and I'd like to take him to see a Space X launch, where the booster returns and lands on the pad. Only problem is that the launches are usually on school days, and there's always the risk that you'll drive 3 hours just to learn the launch has been postponed.

Anyhow, pardon my nostalgia, do visit KSC if you ever have the opportunity.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am not the OP but I have just been told I will be going to Florida for a conference in January :). I will be about 2.5hr drive from KSC so I will tag a few days leave on at the end of the business trip to have a good look around the area.

Any suggestions for good locations to stay? Not particularly interested in specific premises (although you can suggest if you like) but more so particular suburbs/towns that might be good to stay while spending days at KSC.

Thanks in advance :wink:

I am hoping to time my visit for a launch, maybe SpaceX F9 or an Atlas 5 :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am not the OP but I have just been told I will be going to Florida for a conference in January :). I will be about 2.5hr drive from KSC so I will tag a few days leave on at the end of the business trip to have a good look around the area.

Any suggestions for good locations to stay? Not particularly interested in specific premises (although you can suggest if you like) but more so particular suburbs/towns that might be good to stay while spending days at KSC.

Thanks in advance :wink:

I am hoping to time my visit for a launch, maybe SpaceX F9 or an Atlas 5 :cool:

Cocoa Beach & Cape Canaveral have a slew of hotels/retaurants both on & off the beach. Probably pay more beach side. SR-528 causeway is a pretty good location to see any launch as well as Jetty Park. Titusville is probably as close as you can get to view a launch without having a launch pass but there is not much to do in Titusville once the sun goes down.

Space View Park in Titusville is a good place to watch launches. It is straight across from the Merritt Island launch pad that SpaceX uses and audio from launch control is played over the PA.

https://www.titusville.com/Page.asp?NavID=207

Even if there isn't a launch, it is a neat place to stop to eat a bagged lunch if you are in the area. In addition to picnic areas, it includes historical info and monuments to space exploration.

If you stay in a hotel, though, you might have a good view from the hotel. Ask someone who works there where you should watch the launch.

Living in the area, I don't have much experience to help recommend a specific hotel in the area, but the International Palms Resort where NARCON was held a few years ago is really nice. It has it own tropical park with entertainment at night.

-- Roger

Last edited:
"I will be about 2.5hr drive from KSC" Where exactly will you be, north, south, or west of KSC? Plenty to do in south Florida from Palm Beach to Miami. To the north, St. Augustine is worth visiting.

"towns that might be good to stay while spending days at KSC" KSC is great but unless you are a space fanatic you won't want to spend "days" there. One full day is plenty. We once drove up from Ft. Lauderdale to catch an evening launch, stayed overnight, hit the Visitor Center in the morning, and went home late afternoon. Plenty of hotels and restaurants near the junction of I-95 and SR50.

I think it takes two days to really see KSC. On one of the days, you should do one of the add-on special tours. On the other, take in one or more of the IMAX films. Each of those take up about half a day. Don't miss the Atlantis exhibit or the Saturn V Center. They are the two E-ticket attractions. The new Heros exhibit is also great. As I said before, I also highly recommend the Dine with an Astronaut option for lunch. Often there will be special events such as book signings. (Here's a tip, you can sometimes find signed books for sale in the KSC Space Shop.)

Space nut or not, you can easily spend 2 days there. There are 2 different tours and each take a good part of the day plus there are really a lot of cool exhibits to see.

Your tastes may differ, but if I had a few days in January to kill between Jax and KSC, I'd stop at:
* St. Augustine
* Daytona Speedway
* drive on Daytona Beach (you can drive a car on the sand)
* Blue Spring State Park

Your tastes may differ, but if I had a few days in January to kill between Jax and KSC, I'd stop at:
* St. Augustine
* Daytona Speedway
* drive on Daytona Beach (you can drive a car on the sand)
* Blue Spring State Park

Bill in case you didn’t read, he said he’s a rocket nut.

All suggestions greatly accepted. Rocket nut but not entirely to the exclusion of everything else. Some may find that statement not entirely reality, but it is true :wink:

Having spent one day at KSC it’s not quite enough to see everything. I am a rocket nut but enjoy many other things too. When my wife wanted to go
Back to KSC today I realized it’s a pretty cool place (and she is NOT a rocket nut - but is gracious enough to attend some launch with me). If she liked it that much - it’s cool.

We stayed in Cocoa Beach (about 10 mike Uber drive - our
First Uber experience was amazing service- from Gerald)

Does anyone know of a good airboat tour around the Titusville area at all? I have three days slated for KSC but thought an airboat tour would be good to do. Any personal experiences there?

Thanks in advance!

Think it’s called Midway. Hwy 50. I’ll double check. Also Lone Cabbage on Hwy 520.

Back