Looking for a wireless rocket launcher that launches and tests with one pair of leads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duggyhow

Reaction score
Hi y’all, I’m wondering if anyone has a schematic of a wireless controller that tests continuity and launches with the same leads. So far, I’ve built 2 wireless ones but have used two pairs of leads. I know it is simple work a wired controller. Thanks.

I have seen and used a hacked Chinese pyro setup for private launches. The continuity checker is at the
relay box next to the pad. The unit I use has a coded switch bank I screw up the code between launches.
One can push away on the panel all they want but nothing is going to happen even with
the power applied and the power switch is turned on. Unit is out of production now.
Was pretty cheap (~$60.00)

If you want to have a "totally" safe and acceptable unit by the rules for anything check out this thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?37109-Wilson-FX/page4 and https://wilsonfx.com/
and get out your checkbook.

I don't think you'll get many replies due to liability issues and the ability to have a "totally safe"
arrangement that makes the rules mavens happy. No matter what you do, be careful. Kurt

There's nothing to post. Basically took an encoding pyro device that is no longer made. It had a manual switchbox
to set the code. There are no keylocks. The receivers "learned" the code and I would scramble the four recessed microswitch switchbox code (like you see on switchboxes on altimeters)
between my launches. With the power on or off, if the protected code switches aren't set, no signal is sent.
Unfortunately, it is no longer made.

The receivers simply closed a relay but they could only switch up to 10 amps. I sent that current to a low energy
relay solenoid that switched the car battery. Oh there was the potential to switch 12 receivers hence 12 rockets

You can look at the current batch of Ebay pyro stuff but I don't see anything I like. What I have certainly wouldn't be legal for club usage but I've seen a small group use a similar system for years without issue. Nice thing is
no long wires. I'm sorry you're on your own for this one.

Some of the current batch of pyro lighters might be hackable for "safe" rocketry use but I'm happy with my
12 year old system and baby my transmitter. Kurt

Sorry Kurt, was speaking to "duggyhow". Should have put his handle in the heading.

Steve G

No problem. Trying to come up with something that is "totally" bullet-proof requires skills I am lacking. Those who commercially offer devices are not likely
to divulge how they do it as it shoots themselves in their foot as far as sales go.

For a single rocket launch that Transolve device looks promising if one wants something ready made. Can probably stretch the range by setting it up off the
ground with a step ladder. Has the potential to get more than the advertised 250'.

Always make sure you have fresh batteries for your transmitter as I've seen launches go sour when someone forgets to bring backup batteries to power the receivers and the transmitter! :facepalm: (Wasn't me!) Kurt

Back