Large parachute preparation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericm541

Reaction score
So i'm finishing up my L3 project and as i'm ground testing the ejection charges i realized folding and packing this parachute maybe more difficult in the field. The parachute i'm using is a skyangle cert-3 XL, are large chutes like this ok to pack the night before flying? Somtimes nasty wind makes my smaller chutes hard to fold, i can only imagine with the cert-3.

Yes, I have packed my Cert 3 XXL weeks or even months before flight.
I set main for 900 and backup 700 to give plenty of time for larger chute to inflate.

I recall reading a study,I believe conducted by the US military on this subject possibly from the 40s or 50s, likely have that wrong. The gist of it was, did packing and storing chutes result in lower reliability or higher failure rate, and essentially the answer was no. I can't recall the number chutes they looked at or time frames but I recall that it was compelling. If I find the study, or if someone else knows about this please post it.

Having said that, long tern chute packing is one of those things that I can never quite get comfortable with so I do prefer to pack it the night before in the peace of the hotel room.

I recall reading a study,I believe conducted by the US military on this subject possibly from the 40s or 50s, likely have that wrong. The gist of it was, did packing and storing chutes result in lower reliability or higher failure rate, and essentially the answer was no. I can't recall the number chutes they looked at or time frames but I recall that it was compelling. If I find the study, or if someone else knows about this please post it.

Having said that, long tern chute packing is one of those things that I can never quite get comfortable with so I do prefer to pack it the night before in the peace of the hotel room.

Night before isn't so bad. If any chute is packed very tightly in a very small space, one runs the risk of creases setting up if allowed to sit for a long time.
Ya get the risk of a "para wad" deployment. Opening up high might give 'er more time to open but with small chutes, they sometimes don't clear the
chute protector and a fast descent is noted. Kurt

We leave pressure packed personnel chutes in in their containers on the seat for up to 4 years. It should no be a problem for a few days.

We leave pressure packed personnel chutes in in their containers on the seat for up to 4 years. It should no be a problem for a few days.

I suspect there might be a difference in parachute size, material and technique that portends long-term storage ability in a deployable state. I think the smaller parachutes used in rocketry along with stiff parachute protectors increases the risk of a para-wad. Kurt

I suspect there might be a difference in parachute size, material and technique that portends long-term storage ability in a deployable state. I think the smaller parachutes used in rocketry along with stiff parachute protectors increases the risk of a para-wad. Kurt

Small plastic Estes type chutes, I agree. However I have 12in. up to 144in. nylon chutes of all types that have been folded/packed in nomex for 1-2 yrs. that function fine every time.

After a launch , I clean airframes of BP residue, fold/pack chutes for next time & install in my rockets. They stay there till next time rocket gets launched.

I believe this success is due to my technique, style of fold/pack, years of experience & attention to details.
I can see where this is not for everyone, especially newer flier's with minimum experience.

Truly another testament of: one size does not fit all, when it comes to rockets.

I agree with Jim, one size does not fit all.

I haven't left my chutes packed for extended periods, but I have flown rockets that had been prepped for weeks with the chutes packed.

With that said, I do believe size has a lot to do with how well that works. If you leave a plastic Estes chute in a rocket a long time, it probably won't open. First because the plastic is stiff and sets, and second because the Estes type rockets are usually so light they never get enough speed while dropping to force the chute open.

Agree on plastic but some thick nomex protectors can have issues without careful harness placement in the cold. Again, I've noted more of a problem with smaller chutes than larger chutes. A loose pack situation
is better then a tight pack and a long slender deployment bag with a tight pack, with a too small of a pilot chute can mean no deployment. I got a video of that buried on the computer. There is a reason that Ky's Rockman deployment bags are designed the way they are and are not long and narrow. Also one can't go wrong if they use a particular makers D-bag with one of their chutes. If one experiences a few para-wads they'll learn quickly. Kurt

Thanks everyone very useful info, I'll have to prepare it ahead of time. After doing all the ground test ejection charges i struggled repacking it in the yard. I'm wondering if the 5" diameter airframe and skyangle chute is making it pack long, i'm hoping this doesn't cause deployment problems.

Back