A Letter To Col. Jeffrey Nance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIB

Reaction score
You ever served in an infantry unit?

You ever served in a forward area unit?

You ever put your life in another mans hands, and in return, asked him to put his life in yours?

We follow orders, we follow orders or people die, it’s that simple. Are we clear?
[This could be misconstrued to be a political statement and was deleted]

Although this is not a poltical post, I need to remind you do nto go there.

Political Rule Clarification: Some members have read this and interpreted it to mean that any political topic or even the mention of the word "politics" is automatically off-limits. Others have read it and believed that civil discourse is prohibited. Neither is true. In general, the rule of thumb or "line int he sand" that moderators have generally used is "partisan politics" if you start naming individual candidates, elected representatives, parties, or clearly partisan issues or platforms, that's out of bounds. If you talk about US policy in this or that country, or how the international community is dealing with a particular issue or US policy in general, as long as those conversations remain civil and free of partisan rants, that sort of thing has been allowed. Once again, we aren't going to make lists of what is allowed and what is not. Moderator discretion is allowed, civil discourse is always welcome, but any drift into partisan politics or divisive subjects will get posts deleted, threads locked, infractions handed out, etc. The best solution is simply "don't go there."

You ever served in an infantry unit?

You ever served in a forward area unit?

You ever put your life in another mans hands, and in return, asked him to put his life in yours?

We follow orders, we follow orders or people die, it’s that simple. Are we clear?

Crystal.

COL Jeffrey Nance was the judge who set Berddahl free.

Is there a religion rule clarification?

Yes. You can mention god as in God Bless American but not a discussion of religion. I hope this helps.

Most of the complaints have gotten our of control. Mentioning the word god is not making it a religious topic.

The Bergdhal fellow will live with a stigma for the rest of his days nonetheless.

I got done reading a biography of the U-Boat captain Wolfgang Luth who was the second highest scoring U-boat Ace in the Kreigsmarine.

He was assigned to command a U-boat school, survived the war only to be accidentally shot by a sentry at the end of the war. Donitz realized it was an accident and released the poor 18 year old sentry to live in obscurity. Poor kid must of felt bad the rest of his life though he was doing his duty and it was a pure accident.

Bergdahl would be considered by some a dereliction of duty which is another matter entirely. (desertion) Kurt

Yes. You can mention god as in God Bless American but not a discussion of religion. I hope this helps.

Most of the complaints have gotten our of control. Mentioning the word god is not making it a religious topic.

What about requests for fellow forum members to take part in a religious activity here in the forums?

What about requests for fellow forum members to take part in a religious activity here in the forums?

If you read the rules, it says that we aren't going to make lists. Every rule has an exception. We do the best we can. We're all human. We have good days and bad days. But the intent of writing the rules the way that they were written is so that we don't end up with a bunch of "pink book lawyers" arguing over whether or not someone is breaking the rules. Honestly, there's enough of that already.

Can we say God Bless France, Italy, or Spain...

Or only America...

Can we say "God is Great"...

For what it's worth...

Bergdahl and Vance are...

Cut from the same cloth...

COWARDS - both...

Or only America...

Can we say "God is Great"...

For what it's worth...

Bergdahl and Vance are...

Cut from the same cloth...

COWARDS - both...

I have no problems with any of these statements. The goal of the "god bless America" example was to get an example not to be all inclusive.

Guys, we are trying to get away from the daily gotcha game. On a daily basis, someone is getting their knickers in a twist and getting upset because some else uses the word politics or god in a discussion. That is not the intent of the rules. The point is to stay away from touchy topics that offend 30-50% of the forum or starts discourse. We should be able to have an adult conversation about Bergdahl without a large disagreement.

I am in the military and have 4 combat tours. I try to understand a portion of the forum has zero to no understanding of the military. This allows me to to avoid being offended. You should always try to look at events from somelses view. Please keep reporting rule violations, but just because a post offends you does not make it a rule violation.

I posit that it is entirely...

Impossible to avoid...

Being offended in life...

There are no safe spaces...

It is apparent that the "perpetually offended"...

Are thick here...

Embedded1509541030461.png

Or only America...

The only issue with saying "God Bless America" is that a political figure has recently used this as a campaign slogan, and so, while ordinarily, this would be totally fine, it is currently viewed by some forum members, and used by some forum members, as a political statement. So again, the moderators will have to use discretion in deciding how its use was intended. Personally, given the present "touchiness" by some over the use of that particular term, it would make our job a lot easier if members would refrain from using it. I'm not saying that you can't, but I'm saying that such usage runs a significant risk of being interpreted as making a political statement. Sadly, the term has been tainted much as the word "gay" once meant "happy" and today *technically* still does, if you want to write a sentence with that meaning, for the most part today you would choose some other word because, for good or ill, "gay" now has other new meanings and overtones.

The only religious activity allowed on the "ROCKETRY" forum...is to avoid religious discussions....religiously!!!!@#

Exemption to rule is: one time sacrificial loss of rocket..to appease the "rocket godz" from future retaliation. Since this activity is one of a"paganistic" nature, and as such does not fall under the religious guidance rule .....LOL:eyeroll:

[above is attempt at humor and should NOT be taken seriously!!!]

So let's just stop & quit driving the moderators nutz.

Last edited:
I admire his courage but think he made the wrong decision. He will go down as being the guy that let true villain get off.

I agree. Bergdahl made a dumb decision to leave his post and try to advise command of a better way to fight the war. I am amazed that someone with his mindset made Sergeant. Had other men not been gravely injured trying to bail him out of the consequences of his selfish behavior, I might feel differently. As is, I truly expect that his dishonorable discharge will be changed to bad conduct on appeal and that would be a true insult to the adherence to duty so many of my fellow veterans have shown.

Mr. Bergdahl should serve time in prison as the price for his behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

"Sgt" Bergdahl received those promotions due to his "captivity" with the Taliban. If the SOB POS wanted to complain about his company commander he sure picked an odd time and place to take a little stroll. America got a little weaker yesterday.

Heh Heh Heh...

Does anyone have...

A sense of humor left anymore...

Or, has it been sacrificed...

At the PC altar...:cool:

5e2XHeD.jpg

I fail to see the humor in a man doing something that placed his fellows at serious risk and then not facing meaningful consequences for the action. As to what you blather all over the forum pages, so what? If you "offend" me, and I doubt you actually could, I just ignore you. I think if more people could do that, then either you would post less as you don't get a rise you seem to crave out of folks, or you would shift your content. in any case, the problem is self resolving with adult behavior.

(and yes, sometimes I think you post things that are funny)

Well................When I was just starting out I launched a beautifully painted Apogee Aspire on a G80-10 that did a disappearing act. I thought, "omigosh" I can do a "G" motor and Mach 1 so got that rocket done as quickly as possible for a launch.
Tim Lehr pushed that button and said, "Well Kurt, I hope you used a single use motor." (I did) I thought it looked so good the Almighty grabbed it to keep and admire. At least I took solace in that.
Ten days later it was returned to me in good order! Kurt

If you read the rules, it says that we aren't going to make lists. Every rule has an exception. We do the best we can. We're all human. We have good days and bad days. But the intent of writing the rules the way that they were written is so that we don't end up with a bunch of "pink book lawyers" arguing over whether or not someone is breaking the rules. Honestly, there's enough of that already.

You apply rules that do not exist.

Or are not officially posted anywhere.

And / or CONFLICT with the existing officially posted rules.

Or on the flip side, often do NOT enforce the officially existing rules, or do so very capriciously.

Last edited:
Don't weep for poor Beau. After he's through making the talk show circuit and signing a book deal, you can bet he'll be welcomed with open arms in one of the "Santuary Cities". Remember, this is 2017. "Anti-heros" are all the rage.

You apply rules that do not exist.

Or are not officially posted anywhere.

And / or CONFLICT with the existing officially posted rules.

Or on the flip side, do NOT enforce the officially existing rules.

That would seem to be the definition of "discretion" would it not?

I expect that's rather the point why the rules were written the way that they were.

That discretion has, more often than not, been to your benefit.

That would seem to be the definition of "discretion" would it not?

I expect that's rather the point why the rules were written the way that they were.

That discretion has, more often than not, been to your benefit.

I concur.

All hail the great spaghetti monster - may you be blessed by the touch of his noodley appendages. Pastafarians of the world slurp away.

Back