Recent banner ad.. fail?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
This one has popped up a few times in recent days.

Wonder what it's for.. did they forget to resize it? should someone be told?

(do we care?!)

ADSENCE AD.jpg

Being a long standing supporter I haven't had to deal with ads. When I did sign up as a "lifer" here, the extraneous ads did disappear and have remained gone for me without any legerdemain on my part. That said, for the first 6 months or so
I was on I still saw the rocketry related ads on the top scroll. After that time, all ads completely disappeared. I said then and I still say I have no problem with rocketry related ads at the top of the screen even though I'm "paid".

If any admin sees this, keep it in mind. I believe it was related there is a technical issue will allowing just the top rocketry ads coming across and filtering out the others for those who are paid up. Kurt

I see a rectangular box with nothing offensive or unoffensive in it. I also see all the ads as I am not blocking anything.

Now if you will check that rectangle, in the upper right hand corner is an X and an arrow. Click on them, as one will delete that ad and the other allows you to set what type of ads you see in Google AdSense. Also, where you go on the internet is tracked by your computer/google and will pick up on where you've been, what you've looked at and choose ads for you based on that information.

If you see something you don't like, it can be related to some site that the computer you are on has visited.

Try clearing your cookies in your system, and you should not see that one again.

OK, just point out a bit of humour. At least something I find kinda funny as someone obviously didn't really check to see if the ad actually fit the prescribed area / was the right size format.

If you were a marketing person whom had a new ad campaign, would you want to know (or at least expect) that it'll fit, and that the campaign be seen? Like, someone obviously paid to have the ad appear..

I suspect it is a square ad, that's been wrongly called up for a banner location..

Now, getting relevant ads to show up (for me at least, while at work) is another thread.. :D

...That said, for the first 6 months or so I was on I still saw the rocketry related ads on the top scroll. After that time, all ads completely disappeared. I said then and I still say I have no problem with rocketry related ads at the top of the screen even though I'm "paid".

The rocketry related ads disappeared for the same reason that the vendor forum is a ghost town - the latest pricing structure is too high for most of the small businesses in our hobby and has driven most of the vendors away. No one (in our hobby) is buying ad space here anymore.

The rocketry related ads disappeared for the same reason that the vendor forum is a ghost town - the latest pricing structure is too high for most of the small businesses in our hobby and has driven most of the vendors away. No one (in our hobby) is buying ad space here anymore.

Interesting, I just thought I was a rare one that bailed out and sometimes felt bad about it haha

And another "interesting" one..

:facepalm:

some school? something educational? (He's watching .. Kim K or ?!)

I'm kinda chuckling to myself this morning. This particular ad has appeared a lot. Like, almost every 2dn refresh, and in both upper slots...

Just a reminder that the Admin doesn't always read everything in the Watering Hole. If you need to report ads, you need to post reports in the Feedback and Announcements Forum to be sure that they get seen by the people who fix things.

Hi John,
No just a general statement on an ad (a few ads) that seems to miss the point of "advertising". A fail in the sense that .. what are they trying to convey? what are they trying to sell? Am I to just blindly click on it out of curiosity?

Like M$ online help!

"How do I save a file?"
"Click on the save icon"
(OK, so where to do I then find this "save Icon"? What does it look like? Is it obvious? Do I right click or left click.. Where will it save to? What if I want to change the location? What if I want to ...)

Dr wogz - those ads feed off where you have been. Clear your cache/cookies or click on the rectangle's upper right hand arrow, to set what type you wish to see.

Below shows what happens when you click on the ad arrow.

TRF - ads photos.PNG

Ok, to clear things up... (again)

This isn't about how TRF is "forcing" ads or the like.. its simply about that fact that someone has an ad campaign, that seems to be missing in the proper method of delivery, namely the graphic they chose, or that Adsence has the wrong size classification for it. Either way, these two ads that seem to have the main part of their ad cut off. In both cases, they are just some random graphic with no indication of who, what, or where they are advertising. It's like me paying for an ad, and just having a blank rectangle. Why bother.. The only winner here, is the receiver of funds to post the ad.. that's what I find funny (or pathetic or lazy or obtuce or whatever word you want)

As to the ad choices when you click on the 'x' in the corner, I get (see below). Now, in the case of the two in question, (as well as the other 5 I see routinely), I have clicked on either "seen multiple times" or the "not interested" only to have it come back again and again.. (so, then, what is the point of doing so?)

I surf TRF at break, at lunch on my work station TRF, and two news channels are all I really surf, and Accuradio (which also serves 'Adsence' ads). I do the odd work related search, but not often.. So, I assume the following: My cache is cleared routinely thru IT (but I should verify). I surf thru a network connection, so I'm seeing other's "ad preferences" as well as my own. Since I rarely do massive / multiple / daily searches, adscence doesn't really know what to show, as it's data library (for me) is very limited. And, that the searches I do perform, don't meet the criteria of "every day user" ( I have recently searched for '5-axis mill' and 3d printer filament', but never see those kind of ads). And, lastly, that since being in Canada, the rules are slightly different, and ads are generated more by the ISP than by my personal setting / cookie / trails / etc... And, I only see about a dozen or so ads. They are never different, or vary. Its' pretty much always the same dozen or so ads. And, none that I feel are even remotely relevant to me..

Do I profess to know a lot about this "ad stuff" and how computers / the internet track my every move & visits? No. Don't really care, it's a fact of life (today).. I used to be pretty 'computer savvy', but I feel over the past two decades, things have gotten harder & more 'hidden' and more complex than I care to delve into.
Do I want know? Yeah, to a certain degree, but I don't have the time, patients or the absolute desire to read each & every bit out there about it. And, I'm sure there is lots that people like Google, M$, Apple, etc.. don't want me to know.. I'd much rather sit with someone and have them show me, allow me to ask questions, fill in the blanks I have.

So, I know "ads" on TRF are bit touchy, and I don't want to go there. I'm just laughing at the $$$ spent on an ad campaign that's slightly more than a [pointless] blank white square..

trf ad 3.jpg

Okay, now I understand. Just a casual observation from the boredom of having lunch at work at your computer. I've been there and use to do that sorta stuff during my cubicle days. Lots of cubicle days.

Aren't cans of worms fun to see where they will wiggle off to and be seen by many?

(And now I'm seeing bottom ad for: A.!. for your website. Does that say anything, such as am I Artificial or should I be? ????)

Beats the days of a co-worker & I rolling pennies down the hall... then watching to see who would pick them up..

If I had (paid for) an ad campaign, and I saw an ad as the ones I've pointed out, I'd either be firing someone, or at least having a very stern talk with them..

I've let upper management know of this. Thanks for the conversation and observations

Interesting..

I'm at home, and a number of the ads that appear don't have the 'X' to close it. And some don't even have the "adsence" logo / click button....

Are you sure you are not a cousin of Doctor Who. Strange things happening around you? But I'll try in Firefox as I use Chrome most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Haha, no.. I'm assuming it's a regional thing..

(A Dr. Who episode scared the b-jeezuz outta me when I was about 5, that wsa the erarly 70's.. goes to show how long it's been running!)

Ad fail update:

1) the ad I posted (the people looking down on something .. a rash? Kim K?!) is actually a video ad, for a local school's open house. I guess my I-net connection here at work doesn't allow animated ads, or that this particular one got 'stuck' on it's opening frame.. Saw it animated at home..

2) As well, while I can't get a screen shot of my screen at Home (Windows 10 machine, edge or Chrome, same effect) some Adsence ads don't have the 'X' to close it. Some ads don't even have the adsence log in them.. I do get ads in French, so it's obviously a regional thing. And, today on another website I frequent, I got an ad, and adsence ad, with no `X` on it (see attached..) (The Aukland Granger, Canadian edition ads don't seem to have the 'X' on them..)

(and yeah, dunno why I get women's clothing ads all the time. Again, I assume the work I-net connection combines everyone's searches, and displays accordingly, but have no way of knowing which machine searched what..)

trf ad 5.jpg

trf ad 4.gif

If you need to get a shot of something at home on the laptop, in Chome type Snipit in the "Type here to search" box. It is an ad on and allows you to snip parts of a screen and save, or post, etc.

Was the animated ad giving you sound without you asking for it?

Hi Angie, will try that. We have 'Printkey 2000' here at work. rarely do I need to "printscreen" at home!

As for sound, don't remember. Sometime the speakers are on, sometimes off..

I have Irfanview installed on most of the computers I use for photo editing. It have a screen capture mode that I've used several times when my computer doesn't offer a handy way to do it otherwise.

Back