Cool pic from work today -

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
Took this pic of my shadow working on the line today- thought it was kinda cool.
Anybody else do things that are , well- out of the norm for most folks daily grind ?

nvdwyr.jpg

snip-
Anybody else do things that are , well- out of the norm for most folks daily grind ?

Was doing my once every 2 week liquid nitrogen fill this morning, and thought of this thread. I doubt many have their own NMR, so this probably counts as out of the ordinary for the daily grind. Our instrument room is away from the lab as that is where we had space when we purchased my toy, so it is always fun to see the look on the cube dwellers' faces as I purge out the fill line creating a very loud, and very big cloud that spills out of the room. I always stand in the hall with my cryo gloves on drinking my coffee while it fills looking as casual as possible just to mess with them.

Was doing my once every 2 week liquid nitrogen fill this morning, and thought of this thread. I doubt many have their own NMR, so this probably counts as out of the ordinary for the daily grind. Our instrument room is away from the lab as that is where we had space when we purchased my toy, so it is always fun to see the look on the cube dwellers' faces as I purge out the fill line creating a very loud, and very big cloud that spills out of the room. I always stand in the hall with my cryo gloves on drinking my coffee while it fills looking as casual as possible just to mess with them.

I love doing this too, but our new NMR has a N2 gauge on it, so it takes all of the art out of it. Still no gauge for the He level, so those fills always feel more adventurous.

I love doing this too, but our new NMR has a N2 gauge on it, so it takes all of the art out of it. Still no gauge for the He level, so those fills always feel more adventurous.

This one has both N2 and He gauges. I don't fill the He though. We contract that with Agilent as I hate the stuff.

I don't know which is more beautiful,,
A Dassault Falcon or a majestic whitetail buck....lol...
I see reels and reels of Kevlar,,,lol...

Teddy

I'll play along.

Climbing towers for repair.
IMG_0880.jpg

Some BIIIIGGG resistors.
IMG_3186.jpg

A helicopter instrument panel wiring.
IMG_3387.jpg

Testing a base radio using a power meter and spectrum analyzer.
IMG_5888.jpg

About to fly offshore for a quick repair.
IMG_5889.jpg

Wow Deep,,,
When is "Take a buddy to work" day,,, lol.....

Teddy

I see chicken. Lots & lots of "rotisserie" chicken.

I'm a designer at a company that develops & manufactures the ovens you see in the back of Costco, Sam's club, Meijer's, etc.. (I specialize in the 'hot cases'..)

We typically do at least one test cook a week, sometimes more, depending on circumstances & testing required... So, in our 'lab' , we have at least one oven ready to go. And, the whole building can soon smell like roast chicken!! The 'test cooks' sit & watch the chicken go round & round, and do a temp & visual check every 5 minutes.. then there's the quality check once they're done...

(Do the math: each oven typically does 32 birds in one cook; about 120 minutes.. we sometimes do 2 or 3 cooks in a day... We all bring 'work' home, at least once a month, if not once a week.. On Fridays, we usually call the local homeless shelter to make a "donation")

https://hardt.ca/en/home/default.aspx

Heyy,,
That's really nice Paul...
I bet the homeless shelter sure appreciates that...

Teddy

Wow Deep,,,
When is "Take a buddy to work" day,,, lol.....

Teddy

LOL, well its not as illustrious as that every day. Most days I sit around waiting for something to be broken. It can get pretty boring if nothings going on. I'll attach a few more cool pictures.

This is the communications center that I support with networking, computer, and general communications needs. I repair and maintain things as small as the headsets they use to the electric height adjustable desks they sit at. The biggest part of my job here though is troubleshooting the communications from the people sitting at the desk all the way out to the helicopter flying in the air. Myriads of switches, routers, cloud networks and radios in line to make it all work, but I love the challenge!
CBB_5217_HDRfb.jpg

A few heavy ships tucked in for the night.
Hangar.jpg

Holy crap, what's the wattage/resistance of those?

They are 1 ohm and either 500 or 1000w. I'm pretty sure they are 1000.

We were running them at 144w each right there and they still got really hot. We kept a fan blowing on them at all times. LOL

I designed the boxed pizza warmer you see at some Costcos. We got to "test" keeping boxed pizza warm. don't like their pizza.. (Too salty)

We have a series of "rib baskets" for our ovens too. Never seen any 'rib tests'.. Although I do know my boss did cook 25lbs one week-end a few years ago. A big family affair.. Came in, worked 3 or 4 hours one morning, and cooked ribs.. Took them home & finished them off on the BBQ! :D

Andy, I'm not gonna lie - standing that far up on a ladder would freak me out.

Fellow pilots - great to see your rides!

LOL, well its not as illustrious as that every day. Most days I sit around waiting for something to be broken. It can get pretty boring if nothings going on. I'll attach a few more cool pictures.

This is the communications center that I support with networking, computer, and general communications needs. I repair and maintain things as small as the headsets they use to the electric height adjustable desks they sit at. The biggest part of my job here though is troubleshooting the communications from the people sitting at the desk all the way out to the helicopter flying in the air. Myriads of switches, routers, cloud networks and radios in line to make it all work, but I love the challenge!
View attachment 332186

View attachment 332187

I miss doing Aviation radio work. Did it for 20 years between the national guard and ARINC.
Cool photos here that really make me question some things.

View attachment 332186

View attachment 332187

Maintenance Control?

I would show some photos from work, but I'd face disciplinary action for pulling a camera out, so I will post a photo I took outside of work featuring what I work on! I love my job as a flightline mechanic!

_DSC3083A WM.jpg

Back