Help with new launch pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuya

Reaction score
After years of use my Estes launch pad has passed away
and in the mind process to build a pad with a tripod folding legs
I'm looking for suggestions for a camera tripod and items I can find a home depot or lowes ,eBay

Any suggestion with pic's

Thanks, seems exactly what I was looking for

Hi Kuya,
Welcome to the forum. To address your request, take a look at this thread. I've got one of these I can part with and you're not too far away so it should be easy to arrange a meet up. This or the jawstand will take you from low power up through mid-power if you so desire. We've even put some high power rockets up on the jawstand.

As you are in Massachusetts, have you checked out CMASS? From you location, RIMRA is another possibility for flying with a club.

If your interested in the bike stand or the club, send me a private message.

The Jawstand makes an awesome launch tripod. I’ve used mine up to I motors and it works great. For bigger rockets, make sure you buy some of those nail-looking stakes for extra foot support.

Hi Kuya,
Welcome to the forum. To address your request, take a look at this thread. I've got one of these I can part with and you're not too far away so it should be easy to arrange a meet up. This or the jawstand will take you from low power up through mid-power if you so desire. We've even put some high power rockets up on the jawstand.

As you are in Massachusetts, have you checked out CMASS? From you location, RIMRA is another possibility for flying with a club.

If your interested in the bike stand or the club, send me a private message.
I just return from Home Depot and already started to modify , wish I read it earlier, yes very interested in the club and I live in Auburn MA , will shoot a message to later .

You've already gone and bought the Jawstand and I am sure it will work out fine, but I have gotten 10+ years use out of a camera tripod I got for > $10.00 on craigslist (vs. roughly $50 for the Jawstand) and then epoxied the mounting mechanism from my Estes pad onto the mounting shoe of the tripod. The mount holds launch rods from 1/8 to 3/8" diameter which is fine for launching anything up to mid-power models. Over the years I've added fancy touches such as a 90-degree blast deflector elbow exhaust pipe from an old woodstove.

As others have noted, any time you're launching more than A-C LPR models, it's a good idea to anchor the launcher to the ground with stakes and bungee cords. Those bigger motors can kick a tripod launcher (or the Jawstand) right over if they're not tied down.

Hiya Kuya and welcome.

I'm not sure how far you have progressed on modding your JawStand but have a look see at my rendition of a JawStand pad --->>> Let's see your Jawstand - Rail adapters - post #50 & #51

Just stated to dryfit some angle to it for a blast shield, but I m going to bring the clamps to work and have some inter design and 3D print some ideas
But your pic's give me some more ideas to play with .

I got a camera tripod that was being thrown out at work because "it's broken." As it happened, it was missing a bolt that I bought at the hardware store. I also bought a t-nut, which I put in a piece of plywood and attached to the tripod mounting screw. I bolted an old drill chuck to the plywood, so I can add any size launch rod. Some scrap sheet metal makes a good blast deflector.

Years ago, I bought a tripod mounted bike stand... Heavy as sin... I suspect it would do a great job for a launch pad with no permanent modifications necessary.

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product2_10052_10551_1030266_-1

40-2198-NCL-TOP.jpg

Has anybody seen a modified bike stand without the clamps and adapted mount directly to the pole?
Machine a plug to the tubing and build a blast shield around it

Has anybody seen a modified bike stand without the clamps and adapted mount directly to the pole?
Machine a plug to the tubing and build a blast shield around it

I haven't.

However, I'd recommend against it. By having the clamps, you can rotate the launch rail easily. Personally my idea would be to have the rail affixed to an adapter that is clamped in place. That way I can have the rocket located as low as I want (reducing the chance of a blow over in a windy situation).

Another nice thing about the bike stand is that it makes a great paint stand

I haven't.

However, I'd recommend against it. By having the clamps, you can rotate the launch rail easily. Personally my idea would be to have the rail affixed to an adapter that is clamped in place. That way I can have the rocket located as low as I want (reducing the chance of a blow over in a windy situation).

Another nice thing about the bike stand is that it makes a great paint stand
I see your point on rotation but adapting a swivel type mount, I'm a minimalist and less is better so off to the drawing board and mount and blast plate .

I very recently bought a bike stand on ebay for $36 with free shipping. no modification needed; clamp a rail in the jaws get a $4 dryer vent duct from big box hardware store of choice and its ready to go in under 30 minutes

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of the fun of rocketry is being your own "steely-eyed missile man" and designing your own solutions to these situations. Sometimes unexpected household items (like G. Harry's beloved wooden spring loaded clothespins) are lifesavers.

Pretty much all of the bike-stand/ tripod/ Jawstand-style launchers will work fine as long as you keep some design essentials in mind -- mainly stability against tipping and location of center of gravity. If it's got a stable foundation (3-4 legs, wide footprint) and is secured with stakes or weights so it won't tip, and has adjustable launch angles to allow you to compensate for wind, you'll be fine.

I very recently bought a bike stand on ebay for $36 with free shipping. no modification needed; clamp a rail in the jaws get a $4 dryer vent duct from big box hardware store of choice and its ready to go in under 30 minutes
I like the "flame trench"! My LPR pad uses a 1/4 section of dryer duct but I was considering a full duct. The deal breaker for me was that the elbow I had was too small for my strap-on booster rocket.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

All my gear is locked in my garage but my blast deflector stove pipe looks like this.

063467210023.jpg

Check the heating section of the big box stores. They have lots of different vent and duct sizes. You should be able to get an elbow like that up to 8", maybe 10" instead of the standard 3" or 4" for dryer vents.

I'm not sure how well something like that will stand up to HPR motor flame. We have 0.080 thick steel deflectors with hi-temp paint on our HPR pads that have sat outside for 9 years. One actually has a hole rusted through it now. I think that is a pretty good run, but the ducting and vents are much thinner and may not last a single launch with a I or J motor and a heavy rocket the is slow off the pad. YMMV

Back