Shock cord mount printed bay, Anyone make?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good. What does it take to install the tie wraps? Can you cut if off one rocket and just slip in new tie wraps and attach it to the next one? you don't have open the case to put the tie wraps in?

Have you considered just putting some loops/slots on the top so the tie wraps go around the shock cord and the tracker case. It would seem to be a bit more secure that way. Not likely the case will break away from the tie wraps, but it would seem to be much less likely if the tie wraps go around the whole unit.

Looks good. What does it take to install the tie wraps? Can you cut if off one rocket and just slip in new tie wraps and attach it to the next one? you don't have open the case to put the tie wraps in?

Have you considered just putting some loops/slots on the top so the tie wraps go around the shock cord and the tracker case. It would seem to be a bit more secure that way. Not likely the case will break away from the tie wraps, but it would seem to be much less likely if the tie wraps go around the whole unit.

Yes, just cut and thread new ties. There is a passage that the loops are completely contained in. There are 3 areas raised 2 mm on the case floor. Those three areas are there because the ties run to within 1 mm of the surface there.

I did consider the tie wraps around, but I was worried that on a frisky ejection if they slip out of the channels the entire thing comes down. Also, since I prefer PETG, which has some flex, I was concerned that would make this failure more likely.

This way can't disconnect without ripping 2/3 of the plastic off the bottom of the case. Something that violent would pretty much kill everything anyway.

That was what I envisioned Chris ! Superb! Send me a bill :) and after I purchase one then I Must be an EF - just forces the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

It is close, but not ready for flight yet. It needs a few more tweaks, and then a beta tester or two, but it is close. I am remodeling the boys' bathroom next week, so it will probably wait until the following. Hopefully it will be ready by the end of the month, so take advantage of a sale if Cris has one.

Looks like a Twinkie! Tie that to the shock cord at a launch and someone will inevitably ask why you have a Twinkie on your shock cord. Offering to the rocket Gods?
Seems we were thinking somewhat along the same lines on shape and what not. I was brainstorming one close to what you have there but now you have it, I can find something else to occupy my time.
So that model is made for the Mini. It would need to be a bit longer for a full size EF, which is what I have, with the standard wire antenna.
Might add a hole for a tether just for extra insurance. I don't see it breaking all three zip ties, but you never know. And one could knot the shock cord near each end of the capsule to prevent it from slipping up or down, unlikely but again...never know.

I probably won't make one for the T3. I have an agreement with Jim to supply the mounting system (including a shock cord mount) that he sells through the Missileworks store for the T3...(start shameless plug) they are pretty cool, you should check them out (end shameless plug). This type would basically compete with those, which would not be cool given our agreement, and the valuable insights he had in refine the design of those. Thanks for asking though.

Back