URGENT: How do you remove a curse from a rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
Launch 1: Scrubbed. Rocket broke in 3 pieces when it fell over.
Launch 2: Rebuilt. Flew beautifully the first flight. Second flight, chute failed to deploy. Rocket banged up badly. Fin can, fins, motor mount all survived. Rebuilt rocket.
Launch 3: Scrubbed for weather.
Launch 4: Passed L2 test. Tried shakedown flight on I175.
Chute release either fell off or wasn't securely fastened.
Waiting on a tree guy now.

dammit.jpg

Give it a 5 minute paintjob with the cheapest spray paint you can find. Nothing will ever happen to that ugly ducklig again.

What curse? Sounds normal to me. Heck, it hasn't even been in a pond yet.

Oh, sounds like a curse to me. A watery grave may still await. I just keep rebuilding until I can't.

I should also mention: when I was checking the shoulder tightness, the nose cone came down hard, my fingertip was at the top of the airframe, and it got pinched, causing me to bleed on the rocket.

It now mutters "feeeed me". That's normal, right?

I save my bloody pinches for the lineman's pole during recovery ops for one of my cursed rockets. Your's sound hungry. And it does sound like the cone is too loose.

What tree guy? Just blow the branch off the tree with a shotgun.

my villain tasted blood, fin got me during the build...
19587572352_69b87ef717_z.jpg

we know how that ended...

34243443671_e3953cebc4_c.jpg

Insert the biggest motor you can find into it and press the button.
Either it will end the curse or you’ll get a personal record there but ending the curse!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

My L2 bird is beginning to show signs of being cursed... I tried to attend a launch in September, but I ended up being called into work the day before and had to cancel. Then I made it to the October launch a couple of weeks ago, and made two attempts to fly. Both ended on the pad with the backup altimeter blowing the main chute backup charge prior to launch. I rebuilt my avionics sled to carry a different altimeter, and then yesterday, the booster section got knocked over onto hard concrete and I had to cut a few inches of length off that got cracked. I think this rocket does not like me!

Either it will end the curse or you’ll get a personal record there but ending the curse!

+1 My first BAR rocket was an Estes Wizard. Broke fins off on just about every flight. So I built a new stretched version with airfoiled plywood fins and epoxy fillets. Broke fins off on every flight, this time by pulling paper off the tube instead of breaking the glue. After a couple more flights, I put in a single use D21. I last saw it descending toward a marsh about half a mile away.

Mischief managed.

my villain tasted blood, fin got me during the build...

we know how that ended...

You need more blood for the blood god if you want a successful flight, my level 3 bird gave me 7 stitches and I was the only Level 3 cert at NARAM this year. the Ebay to sustainer suction as a little tight and got stuck, so i pulled on it harder, then it came unstuck and I nailed myself in the head with a 5.5in fiberglass ebay.
BT9n8VpDgOloGiwG2
BT9n8VpDgOloGiwG2

Last edited:
I had a Big Bertha like that once. Landed in a tree every time I launched it.
I built a 2nd one and put that 1st one on the shelf.
When I finally lost the 2nd one, I bought a 3rd one.
While building that one, I launched the 1st one.
Perfect flight, landed within 10 feet of the launch pad.
Morel of the story is...let it know it can sit on the shelf and won't be missed.

That's the ticket, bench it. Let it know it has done wrong and when its ready to play nice it can go again.:no:
I had an estes V2 that would find its way into trees. i just built a new one. the old one sat in the tree for over a year. Just got the nosecone back a few weeks ago. still waiting for the body tube to fall.

I had a mega red max and it was cursed too!
I did get some amazing flights out of it!
It had crashed several times, chipped fins fins came out completely,
Nosecone, airframe and shockchord.
I rebuilt it three times! And one regular day I
flew it on a G-75 metalstorm, and the parachute never deployed
I have never found it again, I think it did get a watery grave.

Find a preacher that flies rockets?

We have a few.

There's a "blessing of the animals" service, we do an annual "blessing of the prayer shawls (afghans)" at our church, and I even have a "Blessing of new farm equipment" liturgy somewhere on CD. I'm sure we could come up with something...

Best I could scrounge up with the help of Dr. Google

"Hanc Dominus revertar eruca celerem atque illaesam.
Aduersi accidisset ne aut obstare tenebris copias ex hac die!"

Try that out and report back to us. :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Either it will return to you or it was fated to be somewhere else.

Back