Richs Scratch SPEV Payloader

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharshberger

Reaction score
So this is a scratcher to deal with some left over tubing from several other projects, I also wanted to build something different so taking some inspiration from different designs among them the Eradicator, MX missle, and a desire for MPR and using the Jolly Logic Chute Release.

First up was the Nose cone, first one on the new (to me) lathe.

Rich Payloader with MX nose 4.jpgRich Payloader with MX nose 3.jpgRich Payloader with MX nose 2.jpgRich Payloader with MX nose 1.jpgRich Payloader with MX nose 5.jpgRich Payloader with MX nose 6.jpgRich Payloader with MX nose 7.jpg

The nose cone is some of the basswood left over from my Nike Hercules project, the chunk started out just a hair undersized so I laminated some 3/16" basswood to each side and then roughed it down to a cylinder (first two pics).

Next it was time for the boring operations, the large hole is 1-1/8", and the smaller (visible in 5th picture) is 5/16" for the 1/4-20 threaded inserts. The inserts are for an adjustable nose weight system.

After the boring operation it was time to fit the shoulder which is fairly easy with light cuts and going slow (6th photo is partially fitted shoulder)

Then it was time to remove the faceplate, change to the dovetail chuck, and flip the nose cone around. I did learn I need to do a better job of facing the bored end as the nose cone had just a titch of wobble initially, after a bit of messing around it was eventually acceptable. This is also the first time using a chuck on a wood working lathe for me.

Last edited:
Continuing on with the thread.

The finished nose cone, I kind of like the shape of the MX missles NC, so that was my choice of shape. The NC took about an hour and a half to make, mainly due to my figuring out how to do certain tasks.

The nose cone ended up weighing 82.6 grams, pretty heavy but according to OpenRocket I can add up to 4ozs additional with a G64 to optimized altitude, of course with a 2.2" x 4.625" Payload bay (BT70) the PB should hold several altimeters or experiments for fun and science.

Sim weight pre-built is around 12ozs, however that number will most likely be something closer to 16 ozs.

Did I mention the this rocket will also have 6 fins at the rear and 12 fins at the transition?

I still haven't come up with a name for it yet.

Rich Payloader with MX nose 8.jpgRich Payloader with MX nose 9.jpgRich Payloader with MX nose 10.jpg

Last edited:
Back