Do we have an OR Bug Thread?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LithosphereRocketry

Pining for the Fjords
Reaction score
Seems like it would be a good way for the various devs that frequent the forum to know what's going on in OR, similar to the OR Wishlist thread.

I'll start off...
-For awhile search bars in the preset menus have been incorrectly sized. The bar starts at zero width and expands if you resize the window.
tinybar.JPG

-Very minor bug- fins with zero height crash the sim. It's a simple bug, just a divide by zero error, I could probably fix it in a few minutes (once I figure out how OR's code is set up) but that wouldn't help anyone else.

Why would this happen, you ask? I recently was simming a model with t-shaped fins, a la Photon Disruptor. I had normal fins on the BT to give me aerodynamics, so I added finless fin tabs for the weight and appearance. Bam - crash.

It isn't really a big deal- I just branched my model off into two versions- a correctly simmed one and a correct-looking one.

To answer your question... I believe we do now... You just need to change the title of this thread to something like "The OR Bug Report Thread".

Proper place to report bugs is on Github. Nothing wrong with discussing them here but putting them on Github ensures that the developers will see them.

As for the preset menu: I have at least 10 complaints about that dialog, but the nearly zero-width filter box is right up there at #1.

Interestingly, on OSX my largest problem with OR fixed itself.

It used to be that changing from a 3D to a 2D view mode would kill it consistently - suddenly its working.. given I haven’t updated OR, it must be either a Java or OSX rendering fix that has made it work..

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Interestingly, on OSX my largest problem with OR fixed itself.

It used to be that changing from a 3D to a 2D view mode would kill it consistently - suddenly its working.. given I haven’t updated OR, it must be either a Java or OSX rendering fix that has made it work..

Whoa... what version of OSX are you running, and which version of Java? That bug drives me batty.

Both Mavericks and Sierra. Unsure of Java version - I’ll check when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Whoa... what version of OSX are you running, and which version of Java? That bug drives me batty.

OSX: 10.11.6 (15G1611) Mavericks (It works now on my Sierra machine also)

Java version:
Java Control Panel001.png

I also ticked the "use off screen rendering" option - no idea what this does, but it's ticked..

Last edited:
I also ticked the "use off screen rendering" option - no idea what this does, but it's ticked..
WOAH! I've had this constant crash too using both the Java version and the standalone "built as an app" version on macOS. I just ticked the "use off screen rendering" option in Preferences and it doesn't look like it's crashing any more.

Woot!

Interesting... I checked and I'm using Windows 10 with Java 8u144 and I don't get wonky ui graphics stuff anymore with d3d enabled. Considering OR 15.03 hasn't changed, and improvements have been seen cross-platform, it would appear that something must have changed with the most recent Java update that fixed... itself.:confused:

And I heard back from Github that the search bar issue is confirmed... Not fixed, but at least I'm not crazy!

(Well, that's disputable, but at least it's a real bug...)

Back