Model Rocket - Guindance system

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas235711

Reaction score
Hello community. I am building a model rocket (measures : 32mm diameter with no fins and 700mm high) and I would like to use a guidance system to assure it won't flip or something else. I want to use an Auto-pilot unit (for RC's) and some micro servos (attached to the fins) to control it. Is it possible ?

As my dad used to say, "The impossible just takes a little longer". :)

I am currently building one as a test bench for the idea. Not quite 32mm diameter but it depends on how keen you are to miniaturise :)
Thread here FYI: https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5324
Likely to fly April 2018.

There are a few people working on smaller systems too.

Wow, that's really cool, but I was thinking about something less complicated, just like an RC's airplane surface controls.

If you have a fairly big budget Joe Barnard has his Signal flight computer that does basically that. Other than that your options are fairly limited.

I'm looking to do something similar at some point as well- not much past the static development stage at this point.

One piece of advice- make your rocket bigger than you think you need. Everything always takes up more space than you expect.

My first custom-electronics rocket was about that size- my most recent iteration is 5ft tall. The nice thing is I can fit a breadboard on a sled in the rocket and prototype without messing with jumpers.

Back