What's the deal with the E11J?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LithosphereRocketry

Pining for the Fjords
Reaction score
Quick question- I was looking at getting a 24mm RMS case and noticed the E11J motor. "Ooh," I thought, "What a great motor for light rockets when I want a bit of altitude!" Then I realized that it only has one delay: 3 seconds.

Why? What's the obstacle against making, say, and E11-6J?

That is already a full length delay grain in that case. They do make another full length delay in their slow delay formula for use with the F12-5, but they didn't certify the motor with it for some reason. Would it work? Maybe, maybe not.

Quick question- I was looking at getting a 24mm RMS case and noticed the E11J motor. "Ooh," I thought, "What a great motor for light rockets when I want a bit of altitude!" Then I realized that it only has one delay: 3 seconds.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1509070934.944637.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1509070981.973861.jpg

E11-3J is certified as a 4 second delay (see photos above). They are a fun low thrust motor with lots of black smoke. I fly them in a Fat Boy and Blue Bird Zero. I've seen an SLS Javelin fly on them.

Ive got these as well. Great for the Big Daddy and they WILL lift the Cosmic Interceptor.

My understanding is the 5 sec delay is no longer certified....at a minimum it is not produced.

I have some of the 5sec delays and the "3" second delay. I've flown both and there doesn't seem to be much difference.

So, long story short:

AT originally made an E11-3J and an E11-5J. However the E11-3J came out to an E11-4 in cert testing and few people were using the E11-5, so they discontinued it.

Does that sound about right?

View attachment 330903View attachment 330904

E11-3J is certified as a 4 second delay (see photos above). They are a fun low thrust motor with lots of black smoke. I fly them in a Fat Boy and Blue Bird Zero. I've seen an SLS Javelin fly on them.

One more question: Is there any website that can tell me the certified delays rather than the manufacturer delays for a given motor? I couldn't find it on Thrustcurve. I'd like to make myself a list of actual delays for selecting motors.

View attachment 330903View attachment 330904

Just checked the NAR report and the E11-3 cert'ed at 2.8 seconds on its most recent time around. Different delay formula maybe?

The HDK-12 is the Hobby Delay Kit for both the E11-3J and F12-3J. The HDK-13 is listed for the F12-5J only. But likely Aerotech dropped listing the E11-5J also for this delay kit. If you want a longer delay, try one of these.

The HDK-12 is the Hobby Delay Kit for both the E11-3J and F12-3J. The HDK-13 is listed for the F12-5J only. But likely Aerotech dropped listing the E11-5J also for this delay kit. If you want a longer delay, try one of these.

But would that be within the limits of NAR certification? The E11J is only certified with HDK-12.

If not, how hard would it be for AT to get HDK-13 certified? Seems like it would have decent demand- the E11-3J is basically good for light draggy rockets as far as I can tell.

But would that be within the limits of NAR certification? The E11J is only certified with HDK-12.

If not, how hard would it be for AT to get HDK-13 certified? Seems like it would have decent demand- the E11-3J is basically good for light draggy rockets as far as I can tell.

Using a different delay grain than as certified would be allowed at a Tripoli Research Launch as long as you’re a Tripoli member Level 2 or above.
For a manufacturer to certify alternate delays requires sending in a number of motors with the additional delay(s) just as if certifying a new motor. Delays cannot be certified except as part of a motor test.

Steve Shannon

Back