Return to Higgs - MDRA ESL 232 Nov 18&19

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When are you setting up the field for the season? I can take some time and come over to help set. Just need to know when. Thanks!

We'll be setting up the field Saturday morning (11/18). The more help the better. As we get closer to next weekend I'll post what time we plan to get started. Setup should go pretty quick (as long as the field is dry) with Tom and myself pulling the trailer and setting up away cells.

So with how the weather has been here in VA I haven't been able to ground test and it looks like I might not be able to before the launch. Am I allowed to ground test there? Like setup the rocket next to a pad and use the pad wires and have the LCO set it off when they get to that pad while launching the other rockets?

So with how the weather has been here in VA I haven't been able to ground test and it looks like I might not be able to before the launch. Am I allowed to ground test there? Like setup the rocket next to a pad and use the pad wires and have the LCO set it off when they get to that pad while launching the other rockets?

I can't speak for the BoD, but it ha been done before. The problem is that for good ground testing, you need more than one pass, and with at least 20 minutes between launch groupings, the day can slip by very quickly. Best bet might be to ask the BoD if you can set up your test area away from the pads and cars and do it on your own. It's a pretty big farm, after all....

Almost done my Super Batray for my L1. Might wait until after the new year, since it probably doesn't make sense to renew dues 2 months before they reset :-/ Pic doesn't do the paint justice, it's black metallic. Should sparkle nicely out in the sun.

batray.jpg

I can't speak for the BoD, but it ha been done before. The problem is that for good ground testing, you need more than one pass, and with at least 20 minutes between launch groupings, the day can slip by very quickly. Best bet might be to ask the BoD if you can set up your test area away from the pads and cars and do it on your own. It's a pretty big farm, after all....
Ok, Since I will be there early (aiming for around 10am on Saturday) maybe I can do it early before a bunch of people show up. I'll try and see if I can talk to Peter tomorrow to see what he says. I have the stuff just need an area where it isn't raining (darn you Virginian weather).

Ok, Since I will be there early (aiming for around 10am on Saturday) maybe I can do it early before a bunch of people show up. I'll try and see if I can talk to Peter tomorrow to see what he says. I have the stuff just need an area where it isn't raining (darn you Virginian weather).

Higgs launches start at 9:00, FYI.

Higgs launches start at 9:00, FYI.
I know, just can't be bothered to get up that early since its over a two hour drive there. Been going since the first Red Glare. Got busy today so didn't get a chance to ask my dad to call Peter, will do tomorrow for sure though.

Don't worry, I'll find you a place where you can do ground testing safely, without having to worry about getting tied up with the launch pads. I'll be sure and bring a single use launch system.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I'll find you a place where you can do ground testing safely, without having to worry about getting tied up with the launch pads. I'll be sure and bring a single use launch system.

I'll have mine in case you or anybody else needs Fred...

Teddy

Forecast says 20 mph wind all weekend. Looks like I won't be doing my L3 cert flight this month.

Yeah, been watching the forecast. That wind is brutal. I have my M2137 for the F200, but that will have to be shelved till next month. What am I saying? If the winds get over 20 MPH, the whole launch has to be shelved. Yuck.

Maybe it will change.

98-16000 Sparky packed and ready to go! Now we just need the weather to cooperate. I've heard we'll have 2-3 college teams joining us for the launch as well as a 6" motor test.

Wow Scott,,
A 6" motor test ??
I'd sure love to see that..

Teddy

What time will people be there to set up the field? Thought I would come and help. Was planning to launch a 2-stage to about 6K, but the winds are too high for my comfort. Maybe just some smaller stuff instead.

Chance of rain has dropped to below 50%, and peak winds dropped from 22 MPH to 17 MPH.

I see this is a two day launch, but having been to one I have no idea what the times and real expectations are on Sunday. If weather ends of being better, is there really any flying on Sunday? Is this a launch from 0900-1200 and then go home kind of Sunday? Haven't been to an MDRA launch yet, but sure hoping to this weekend.

MDRA launches at Higgs Farm are Saturday and Sunday, 9 - 5 each day. They never cancel or postpone/reschedule. If the weather permits launching, launching occurs. Things that would put launching on hold are precipitation and/or winds over 20 mph.

Saturdays are no more popular than Sundays, as far as I can tell, although I am a Saturday-only kind of guy. If at any point during a launch day there is no one there to launch anything, the board is not opposed to calling it quits.

In short, if you are there Saturday or Sunday between 9 and 5 and the weather is good and you have something to launch, no one is going to tell you no (except maybe the RSO).

The rain seems to be shifting later, not really dumping until 6pm and later right now. I am planning for Saturday.

Winds also seem to be coming slightly as well. That's always a good thing!

BTW, got an email notice that field setup starts at 9 am.

As the weather forecast stands now I plan to be there on Saturday. Probably flying my Frenzy XL on a K454 Skidmark.

Well it seems to be getting better. I will talk to my dad and see. Will probably make the final call Friday night but if this pattern keeps up I should at least be able to come up and ground test and maybe fly a smaller rocket or two but not the big one.

Rain has backed off to 15% during launch window. Winds at about 15 MPH. What bothers me is the cloudiness. If we have another day of 1000' cloud ceiling, it will be LPR-only.

I'll have my Formula 200 ready to go as soon as the away cells are operational. Tom's bringing the Higgs Farm full-scale. :wink: Scott's all set for the Smoke on a sparky N. We'll see!

Weather forecast for Saturday is really looking up. I expect some really cool flights.

I should be at the field by 8:30 to start setting up. Want to be able to take advantage of as much of the good weather on Saturday as possible.

See you at the field,
Scott

That's when I was planning to be there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back