Boyce Saturn 1B

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The second launch of this Saturn 1B was much better than the first. The extra nose cone weight helped. I used a D12-3 rather than the recommended D12-5, which I think is better. The take-off was very fast and seemed to arc over quite a bit, although I couldn't be sure because I lost it with the overcast clouds in the background. I had only one parachute and there was damage to the escape tower, which is brittle (3D printing). I found all the pieces, so it is repairable.

016.jpg 071 (2).jpg

019a.jpg 020.jpg

looks like a great flight! good news on the addt'l nose weight...she looks great on the pad and even better in flight!

The second launch of this Saturn 1B was much better than the first. The extra nose cone weight helped. I used a D12-3 rather than the recommended D12-5, which I think is better. The take-off was very fast and seemed to arc over quite a bit, although I couldn't be sure because I lost it with the overcast clouds in the background. I had only one parachute and there was damage to the escape tower, which is brittle (3D printing). I found all the pieces, so it is repairable.

View attachment 344273 View attachment 344274

View attachment 344275 View attachment 344276

That liftoff pic reminds me of when kids try to jump to be as tall as adults... "Hey Mammoth, I'm as tall as you now!"

I just ordered a saturn 1B kit from boyce. The engine mount and fuel tank tubes have already arrived. I have to wait 7 to 10 business days for the rest to come off the printer. Does anyone know what lengt8i need to cut the BT-19 tubes to?

I launched this model again last Saturday at our NAR Section competition launch on a D12-3 with no wind for sport scale. Take-off was straight up, but there was no parachute ejection at apogee. It seemed like the model might have come apart during the ejection charge. I don't know for sure which damage occurred at altitude and which damage occurred on landing. Fortunately, the contest coordinator did award static judging points before launch. There is some separation damage between the first and second stage. The motor mount came apart along with 2 broken fins and, of course, the escape tower was damaged.

Attachments

• Saturn 1B.JPG
    Saturn 1B.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • S Take off.jpg
    S Take off.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • S4.JPG
    S4.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
  • S5.JPG
    S5.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 0
Aerostadt, I am sorry to hear of this. You did a beautiful job on this classic! Can she be repaired?
Hi, NJ, I remember your Saturn 1B builds on TRF were great! I am in the process of repairing my Boyce Saturn 1B now. I found that a short section of PML 29 mm phenolic tube will just fit inside the Saturn 1B as shown in the photo's below. I first put in the broken upper part of the motor mount tube and attached it by dabbing in epoxy with a long thin wooden dowel. I then decided to put in a small band of 29 mm tube above the motor mount to help hold it in place. I am using short sections of 29 mm tube to keep the weight low. Alex at Boyce Aerospace went back into his 3D printer repertoire and has produced a single fin for me to replace a fin that broke off. It should be arriving today. A special thanks goes out to Alex. (I had one cracked fin that I straightened out with CA while holding it in place with a paper binder clip.)

Attachments

• IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 0
I launched the Boyce Saturn 1B in the sport scale category as part of the Club NAR Section meet last Saturday. The NAR rules have changed with regard to static judging. The meet director took pictures of the model on his cell phone and then emailed those to the NAR. Static judging will be handled there. Flight or mission points were awarded on site. I am happy to say that the flight on a D12-3 was a success with no broken parts and a good chute opening. I used a 32" plastic chute that I found in my inventory and suspended the model by chute from a point behind the service module to keep the escape tower from breaking.

Attachments

• 20221029_100053.jpg
    20221029_100053.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221029_100104.jpg
    20221029_100104.jpg
  • IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
  • IMG_1992.JPG
    IMG_1992.JPG
I have just started building one of Boyce 1/125 Saturn 1B. I hope mine turns out as good as yours.
I have drawn up some markings to go along with the scale of this model.
I'm planning on printing them out on white vinyl paper with sticky backing.
I'll post them here aerostadt, who knows you might build another one.

Attachments

• 125 Saturn 1B black tanks.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 125 Saturn 1b Second Stage.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 125 Saturn 1B White tanks.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I have just started building one of Boyce 1/125 Saturn 1B. I hope mine turns out as good as yours.
I have drawn up some markings to go along with the scale of this model.
I'm planning on printing them out on white vinyl paper with sticky backing.
I'll post them here aerostadt, who knows you might build another one.
I had to download one of your decal sheets to my computer to see it. Looks good !!

Back