Looking for more rocket "How to" videos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManRocket

Reaction score
Greetings! I am just getting back into rocketry after a break of about 20 years and I'm finding that much has changed since the late 90's! While waiting to get my workspace set up I have been reading the forum and watching YouTube videos to brush up on my rocket building techniques. I have especially enjoyed watching Tim Van Milligan's series on building the Madcow fiberglass Level 2 kit (has that kit been discontinued?) and all of John Coker's amazing videos. I am definitely learning a lot and now that my appetite has been whetted I am eager to find more "how to" videos. I've tried searching the web and YouTube but I am finding mostly launch videos which are also entertaining but not so much instructive (except for things _not_ to do!)

Anyway, I am hoping that all of you can point me to your favorite "how to" videos, either entire builds or specific techniques.

Thanks!

If there's anything out there beyond John Coker, Apogee, and YouTube, I'd like to know, too! But you can learn a lot right here by reading various build threads. There are level 3 build threads, minimum diameter build threads, and an incredibly interest build thread for a scratch-built 3/4 scale Mercury Redstone.

Dont forget Apogees Peak of Flight newsletters, I know they are not videos but they are a superb info source.

That's all you really need. Excellent resources above from the experts.

I am by no means an expert, not close, but I do have a couple build videos on YouTube in case you're curious. Here is a full build I did for the Estes Crossfire ISX:

[youtube]ZcH-ZMQicYs[/youtube]

Another outstanding resource focusing on lpr/mpr is Chris Michielssen's blog: https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/
Lots of tips and pictures from a master modeler.
Welcome back to the party ![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the plug!
Go to the blog, scroll down to LABELS, find and click on "Tips".
Also some ideas under "Finished".

Welcome back!

Thanks everyone! It will probably be a week or more before I can begin setting up a workspace for rockets so I am still enjoying all of the above resources. By the way, where on the forums would I look for recommendations on setting up a workspace? I won't be able to spend a fortune on power tools but would like to make sure I have the basics. I suppose a Dremel tool would be a good first purchase? All of my tools from years ago have gone walk-about. :-(

as for tools etc. a lot depends on what size rockets you will be building...for low and mid power birds a dremel is definitely optional. I would suggest a cutting mat, some 110 lb card stock, 3 grades of sandpaper (220(coarse), 320(medium), 400(fine), some Aluminum angle is useful, a flat surface, and good lighting. white & yellow glue and paper towels pretty much round out the supplies. don't really need power tools until you start working on the larger rockets(plywood and fiberglass).
Rex

Thanks! Initially I will be concentrating on Mid-Power rockets since my local club only allows up through G motors at the monthly launches. Later on I will decide whether or not to get back into High Power. The first dozen or so rockets I will be building will likely involve only paper tubes and plywood. At some point I will probably try a Wildman or Madcow (RW) fiberglass kit and something from Mac Performance Rocketry but that will be next Spring at the earliest. Based upon input above it sounds like I have everything I need to get started once we get the garage cleared out. Thanks again for all the help!

Back