2 Chutes, 2 Rocket sections, ONE Chute Release?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
I am thinking about trying the Chute Release with a two section rocket (think: Aerotech Mirage, Flis Kits Richter Recker). As long as the chutes are bound tightly enough with the bands on that size/weight rockets and the shock cords are arranged to keep parts from striking each other, any reason it wouldn't work?

Has anyone tried this?

I am thinking about trying the Chute Release with a two section rocket (think: Aerotech Mirage, Flis Kits Richter Recker). As long as the chutes are bound tightly enough with the bands on that size/weight rockets and the shock cords are arranged to keep parts from striking each other, any reason it wouldn't work?

Has anyone tried this?

Be the first one and report how you achieved it. I'd choose a large venue and use lower powered propulsion for the test.
You want to be sure you can tolerate an apogee deployment if it goes haywire. You'd want to avoid undue stress on the lines due to over exuberant ejection charge. It would seem if you want the two parts to separate after deployment of the chute release into two pieces, the lines of the canopies would be taking the load. If you are using a harness to keep the two pieces together, the ejection charge could strip the shroud lines out of the pack.
I believe Mister Beans stated that there could be a potential problem if too tight of band is used. Specifically I think he said there is a potential to jam the release mechanism. I think if you could control the variables it might be doable. You should be more specific and state whether or not you're going to restrain the two pieces together by a long harness or if after chute opening the two parts are going to separate. Kurt

I do it all the time with no problems. I fly my MC Rouge a lot with the JLCR and its a 2 section rocket. I just have chute tied off about 2' down from where shock cord attaches to payload bay.

Has anyone tried this?

I take it you want to use a singe JLCR to hold both chutes together and when they release, the two halves come down separately.

Can't say that I've tried it. The potential problems I can see is the movement of the two parts as they drop could pull the chutes apart and one or more might open early. I've seen the two halves of a rocket jerk the shock cord pretty violently as they drop, that could happen here. But, you don't know if you don't try it.

Let us know how it works...

Back