• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Huge 3/4 Scale Nike Smoke FG kit w/extras

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Given where my health is after three joint replacements I have decided I need to be realistic about what I tackle in the future. I have a 3/4 Nike Smoke, primo rocket from Performance Rocketry. Over 13' long, 11.5" in diameter and nearly 100lbs dry weight. I had started working on this by doing fin reinforcement. For the buyer, I will finish the fins up, even to the point of doing the florescent paint finish if they'd like. Price for this huge rocket with all parts (including extras to support NC based smoke system) is $1500. Local pickup at MWP/Princeton or Western Suburbs of Chicago. PayPal F/F or cash on delivery only please. SOLD

See here for reference: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=61839

Last edited:
Just a note that this is a fantastic rocket from a fantastic seller! Plus, this is the version with the far superior fin setup in my opinion and experience! I had the version with the one piece molded can that was troublesome; the individually molded fins are just a great setup here! There's only a few that ever made it out into the wild; I don't believe Curtis is molding these currently or intends to in the future; get it while you can!

Buy with confidence. Really big, really cool rocket!

Found some old pics that show a bit more details of the piece parts in this kit.

First, some of the main components. Note: 1) how thick the FG tubes are, 2) the nice detail in the cone mold, 3) full complement of full length 98mm (center) and 54mm (four clustered) MMTs.

20130314_092715.jpg

Next a good look at the fins with the dense foam fill. Honestly the foam fill is a minimum (hard to believe that at one time Curtis didn't even add the foam) and I have done additional laminating of the fins since shown here. Then of course, the full complement of heavy duty rings and bulkheads.

20130314_092536.jpg

And finally closer look at the nosecone compared to a rather large yard ornament. The NC is nearly 7 feet in length alone. Also you can see in this pic the full 48" long central 98mm MMT.

20130314_194052.jpg

Last edited:
Ohh, man.... if only I wouldn't get kicked out of the house :)

There are a few times in life where a great deal comes along, on something you always wanted...really, really bad.
One thinks..."oh well" next time.
Then months or years later, you realize that ain't gonna happen & you start kick'n yourself in the butt for not jumping on it. Life's too short.

If ya do get booted, ya can always live in the rocket...it's big enough...LOL
Or buy it...hide it for awhile & get your wife some jewelry or whatever "she " really wants for xmas, then bring home your rocket. Sell some of the crap ya got laying around you don't really need to pay for it.
PS ya can finance jewelry at all stores! So now ya ain't got no excuse!!!@#@@:smile:

Found some old pics that show a bit more details of the piece parts in this kit.

First, some of the main components. Note: 1) how thick the FG tubes are, 2) the nice detail in the cone mold, 3) full complement of full length 98mm (center) and 54mm (four clustered) MMTs.

View attachment 330699

Next a good look at the fins with the dense foam fill. Honestly the foam fill is a minimum (hard to believe that at one time Curtis didn't even add the foam) and I have done additional laminating of the fins since shown here. Then of course, the full complement of heavy duty rings and bulkheads.

View attachment 330700

And finally closer look at the nosecone compared to a rather large yard ornament. The NC is nearly 7 feet in length alone. Also you can see in this pic the full 48" long central 98mm MMT.

View attachment 330703

Heyy, how much for that snowman blow mold? :grin: LOL..

Thanks,

Heyy, how much for that snowman blow mold? :grin: LOL..

Thanks,
Well, not for sale... I'm still hoping MWP will return to self-insured status, get a healthy night-launch waiver, and I can put an M motor in that baby to light up the night sky (I have 200 high intensity LED panels all ready for it)!

From the Ether...

Last edited:
Well, not for sale... I'm still hoping MWP will return to self-insured status, get a healthy night-launch waiver, and I can pull an M motor in that baby to light up the night sky (I have 200 high intensity LED panels all ready for it)!

From the Ether...

Seconded!

-The guy with an attic full of plastic pumpkins-

Well, not for sale... I'm still hoping MWP will return to self-insured status, get a healthy night-launch waiver, and I can put an M motor in that baby to light up the night sky (I have 200 high intensity LED panels all ready for it)!

From the Ether...

Don’t hold your breath. Besides, self insured and night waiver have nothing to do with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

We tried... ain't gonna happen.

That’s correct. After the request was made to Gerald at Argonia he passed it along. Dick Embry then asked his contacts within the FAA. They let us know in no uncertain terms that the local center has the final word on this and they said no night launches. We are in no position to argue their decision.

Steve Shannon

There have been a couple questions on extent of work completed. Everything is per the kit shown except the fins. After 3 builds of Performance Rocketry polyester mold kits from decades back, and after discussion with a couple of big kit rocketeers, it was decided to do a Kevlar 9 oz layer to reinforce the fin tab and lower fin root area both for strength and to guard against flutter. After that another layer of 6 oz glass mostly to protect the polyester FG from chipping. After that was fill time (SuperFil), sanding and dialing in the shape. After that a final 2.7 oz veil layer is planned before the priming/paint stages. A pic of a couple of fins in working stages are attached.

IMG_20171028_132552.jpg

Last edited:
Well, clearly the cone wins... I'm going to have to find alternate means of transport.

IMG_20171028_133105.jpg

BTW, the reason I pulled this out of the storage garage at my downstate office was just to take a close look at the condition. Happy to report that this nosecone is in near perfect shape. There are no thin areas of weakness often characteristic of Performance Rocketry product. Second the exposed area is in great shape with no obvious nicks, chips. The only chips I could find were a couple right at the bottom of the shoulder and even then, they didn't go down to the internal fiberglass layer and were only ~1/4" wide or less.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, I got things to fit in the Cadillac! Will be headed up early Friday. Lots of interest, but no takers yet. And I tell you in the last 3 days my hip has really improved, so now having lingering second thoughts... Might just keep it.

From the Ether...

Back