Loki Research- Alive and kicking!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki Research

Motor Manufacturer
Reaction score
Hello everyone. It's Scott here from Loki Research. I've heard from a couple different places now that there have been a few people who thought Loki Research might be going by the way side. I suppose this is due to the fact that the web store has been closed for several months now, along with the Loki Research 2016/2017 threads being removed from the Vendor section. I guess I could see how someone not familiar with the company might think this.

However, I can assure everyone here that this could not be further from the truth. I've been busting my hump for a long time now trying to stay on top of it all. We've been extremely busy this year filling ever increasing dealer orders, so I closed down the web store in an effort to keep them stocked with products. No doubt, those of you lucky enough to have a Loki dealer close by have had a good selection of Loki products to choose from.

For those who don't have a Loki dealer, I am very that we don't have a lot more. I'm also sorry that the web store has been closed down lately, but rest assured that it will reopen soon. We are still a comparatively small company, but we are steadily growing. We aren’t big enough yet to support the large number of full line dealers that our competitors have, but with each and every new customer we gain, we can move closer towards gaining and supporting more dealers. Our web store exsists not to compete with our dealers, but to help reach those new and existing customers where our dealers are not always present, as well as to provide the EX community with top quality products and service. We are often compared to our competitors for obvious reasons, but due to our smaller size, our business must simply operate much differently than those we compete with. Because of this we do sell direct, but we compete with our competitors, not our dealers. Our pricing is the same where ever you shop. We want your experience of flying Loki to be based on the high quality and value of the products and service you receive, not on being the lowest price around. We play no games in pricing. We offer products of outstanding performance and quality for a very fair price.

Loki Research strives to produce the finest quality and most reliable high power hardware and reloads available on the market today. If you've been a customer since we took over the company in 2011, you have seen the changes we have been making in this effort. I think you would agree, we made very good products back then, and we make far better products today. The reliability of our reloads has always been outstanding, and now it is second to none. We have 2 main goals here at Loki Research, one is to provide products of such high quality that we eliminate failure and two, to deliver outstanding performance within those same products. In practice, these goals require a great deal of time, effort and extreme attention to detail to achieve. Good is simply not good enough when you are delivering stellar performance that in some cases is un-matched. We do all of this with products and materials sourced and proudly made solely here in the USA.

If you've been riding the fence on making your first purchase of Loki Research products, there's no time like the present. Be the next one to surprise your club members when your new Loki powered rocket takes to the skies with authority!
I'd like to end this post on the most positive note I can, so I will leave you all with some comments we've received from some of our customers. If you have anything you'd like to add about your experience with Loki Research, our dealers or our products, please do so below.

Thank you, I received them in outstanding shape yesterday. I'm very impressed with the quality of these... immaculate! Thank you!
-Chris

We`re having outstanding success with the 38s. Loki is the best hardware, your nozzles are a work of art... almost too nice to fly!
-Cliff

I truly don’t think Loki is expensive. The pricing is quite competitive, and the quality OUTSTANDING.
-David

Just received your invoice. Please don't give the shipping cost another thought. You are one of the most honest and trusting individuals I have had the pleasure of doing business with. I really appreciate you looking out for me and calling about the shipping. Thank you for keeping your products "American Made" and the highest quality. Until next time, thanks again.
-Bob

I really like what you have been doing with your products lately. Nice high quality stuff. My Loki hardware goes way back to when Jeff used to come to METRA and demo motors.
-Chris

I just received a new 38-740 case and J320 red reload to go with it. As much as I liked the old hardware it doesn’t even compare with the new stuff. Extremely high quality; I especially like the new nozzle and forward closure that were included. As for the load….great new liner! Everything fit perfectly and cleanup after the flight was a snap. The propellant itself? I’ve flown red motors before but I’ve never seen a red as bright as this is…we all were pretty amazed at the color and the performance.
-Dale

All arrived today! Thank you Thank you Thank you! I have to say I am always amazed at the quality of the work in these reloads. Looking at it I am surprised at how tight the cores are for such a long motor.
-Dennis

As a customer, I came to you for a couple of reasons. First was superior quality. Second is direct contact with the owner who provides excellent customer service and cares about my product. In any event, you've done your job. I'm a Loki guy now for sure. The quality of everything you sent blows my ******** stuff away.
-Peter

Loved the loads I flew (H160, I316) and will be completely switching to your hardware as it's just that next step up in quality IMHO.
-Trent

Add me to the list of satisfied Loki customers! My loki cases are my most often flown cases. :)

It’s good to hear that Loki is alive and well. I’ve been frustrated with the availability of CTI products after the fire. Teddy at OneBadHawk has been trying to sell me on your product line. Having the web store closed had me worried that Loki was going out of business too.

Teddy convinced me to try out your product line. I’ve ordered much of your 54 mm product line. Good luck in building up your business.

All the best,
Bob

Scott, I recall a few years ago you attended High Frontier in Pawhuska. I also recall that you were offering up some special hardware/reload deals (that I now wish I had taken advantage of). Do you have a schedule of launches that you attend? You seem to be within driving distance of Argonia (I know Teddy was at AF23) and Pawhuska.

Keep it going Scott. The reloads are just beasts. When I hear the flight announced as a Loki motor I always stop everything and watch because you know it will be a good show.

When I first got into HPR and reloads a few months ago, I had only researched AT and CTI just because they seemed most common. Then I heard CTI stuff was allegedly hard to come by because of a fire some time ago, so I figured I'd be buying AT. At my first club launch I learned everyone hated AT (apparently CATOs and poor support?) and flew Loki. I've flown nothing but Loki since then and have been nothing but happy. Loki motors are built well, easy to assemble, and burn great.

I have never had a single issue with Loki hardware or reloads. They are easy to use and perform as advertised. I loke the ability to use a Loki reload in the same case I can use my own research motors. Best of both words.

Big Loki/Scott and Teddy fan here.

I now have all of the 38mm and 54mm hardware, and I have flown most of the 54mm reloads, including all of the 54-2800 reloads at least twice. They are always a crowd pleaser and Scott has been gracious enough to speak with me on the phone many times when I have had questions or concerns. I now purchase from Teddy who has been very supportive and a true salesman for Loki, and I mean that in a good way, not a pushy way.

I hope Loki continues to grow and I would love to see Loki pull into California as I know what would happen next...some bigger 98mm serious reloads possibly on the scale of an N5800 would emerge over time.

Wham, bam!!! Bye, bye little rocket...... Love this motor in s small rocket.

i kicked off my 5.5 pound dry 2.6" screech on one at an LDRS or URRF, I forget . After it launched I casually asked if anyone saw it and just got laughs from the crowd. Zip, see-ya

cant wait to drop one in a sub two pound rocket

hahahqa,,
I saw that flight,,,
Well,, you know what I mean,, lol...

Teddy

Last time I launched a Spitfire, I heard audible reactions. Mostly along the lines of "wow," but not quite that verbalized. I think one guy went running for the port-a-pot.

Launched my L3 cert flight on a Loki M900 Red. It was a beautiful flight. It took my 36# rocket to 8081 ft. I want to get some 54 cases and fly some J-K-L motors too. Love the quality of the cases and the polished nozzles are spectacular and clean up like a dream. Scott comes to almost all of the Kloudbuster multi-day launches and his customer service is over the top.

Royals Homerun Launch AF23.jpg

Alive and kicking is an understatement! Scott has so many motors going out of the door right now I don't know how he and his crew have any time to sleep! Yet, when I have a question or request, he always makes time to answer me or give me a hand! My favorite part of our club launch is when I rip off a Loki and you can always bank someone will yell "WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?!! Keep up the good work Scott!

dshmel said:
Scott, I recall a few years ago you attended High Frontier in Pawhuska. I also recall that you were offering up some special hardware/reload deals (that I now wish I had taken advantage of). Do you have a schedule of launches that you attend? You seem to be within driving distance of Argonia (I know Teddy was at AF23) and Pawhuska.

Dwayne,

Lately, AIRfest has been the only launch I have been able to break away for and it's a 6 hour drive. I believe it was the same to Pawhuska. Unless my transmission goes out on the drive there, you can be certain that I will be at AIRfest. One of these days I'll make it out to Walnut Groove, MO and when I do, you all can thank Mike Walsh. He's been keeping a bug in my ear about it. Thanks Mike :)

You listening David? As soon as I am able to get in a position to hire a full time employee to help with making reloads, and I get caught up with the current reload inventory, the 54/1200 and 2000 case will see the next Loki Blue loads certified. However, between now and then, I'll need lots of 3 P's from everyone, prayers, purchases and patience.
Prayers because this is quite often a very stressful, demanding and sometimes physically punishing job that every now and then makes me wish I was back selling Formula boats again and only working 40-50 hours a week.
Purchases because without a larger customer support base and a quick turnaround of inventory, I can't afford really good help that will care about Loki products as much as I do.
Patience, because there is so much to do and so many inventory items to keep on top of while doing everything else, that sometimes you run out of parts before you can get more back in stock. And sometimes stuff out of my control happens, like right now my local machinists turning center is broke and he's getting backed up with work while his machine is down.

That being said, the bad news is that I've just sold out of 54mm standard bulkheads, which means I am out of any complete 54mm motor hardware except for the 54/4000. Only dealers have any standard bulkheads left in stock. The good news is Eric Foster called and said he's about 1-2 weeks out now on getting started on them since the local guy is out of commission. He is also making more 54mm extended bulkheads.
AND, he also has a purchase order from me for the first run of 54mm tail cones! Please don't ask me the price yet though because I still don't even know exactly how much they will cost me.

I'll ask all of you, please keep your purchases coming. Do your best to encourage your HPR friends to give Loki Research a try, and please be patient when the items you want are out of stock. When that happens, simply call or email myself or your dealer and let them know what you are wanting. I won't expect you to pay for anything until it is ready to ship. I would only expect that you let us know ahead of time if you need to back out. Your name will go on a waiting list and the next available items will be yours in turn. That is what the dealers and I have been doing on several items for much of this year.

As always, thank you all for your support.

Dwayne,

Lately, AIRfest has been the only launch I have been able to break away for and it's a 6 hour drive. I believe it was the same to Pawhuska. Unless my transmission goes out on the drive there, you can be certain that I will be at AIRfest. One of these days I'll make it out to Walnut Groove, MO and when I do, you all can thank Mike Walsh. He's been keeping a bug in my ear about it. Thanks Mike :)

You listening David? As soon as I am able to get in a position to hire a full time employee to help with making reloads, and I get caught up with the current reload inventory, the 54/1200 and 2000 case will see the next Loki Blue loads certified. However, between now and then, I'll need lots of 3 P's from everyone, prayers, purchases and patience.
Prayers because this is quite often a very stressful, demanding and sometimes physically punishing job that every now and then makes me wish I was back selling Formula boats again and only working 40-50 hours a week.
Purchases because without a larger customer support base and a quick turnaround of inventory, I can't afford really good help that will care about Loki products as much as I do.
Patience, because there is so much to do and so many inventory items to keep on top of while doing everything else, that sometimes you run out of parts before you can get more back in stock. And sometimes stuff out of my control happens, like right now my local machinists turning center is broke and he's getting backed up with work while his machine is down.

That being said, the bad news is that I've just sold out of 54mm standard bulkheads, which means I am out of any complete 54mm motor hardware except for the 54/4000. Only dealers have any standard bulkheads left in stock. The good news is Eric Foster called and said he's about 1-2 weeks out now on getting started on them since the local guy is out of commission. He is also making more 54mm extended bulkheads.
AND, he also has a purchase order from me for the first run of 54mm tail cones! Please don't ask me the price yet though because I still don't even know exactly how much they will cost me.

I'll ask all of you, please keep your purchases coming. Do your best to encourage your HPR friends to give Loki Research a try, and please be patient when the items you want are out of stock. When that happens, simply call or email myself or your dealer and let them know what you are wanting. I won't expect you to pay for anything until it is ready to ship. I would only expect that you let us know ahead of time if you need to back out. Your name will go on a waiting list and the next available items will be yours in turn. That is what the dealers and I have been doing on several items for much of this year.

I'm working on trying to get the UAH rocket team to convert to Loki... :)

Dwayne,

Mike and I are both working on the Walnut Grove crew. We have had several members just earn their Level 2 cert. We will get them converted to the darkside:wink:!

Mike and I are both working on the Walnut Grove crew. We have had several members just earn their Level 2 cert. We will get them converted to the darkside:wink:!

I got my L1 at Walnut Grove.
My L2 at Addieville, IL.

I'm going for my L3 at MPW on a Loki 75/8000 M1969. Love the look of that motor.

Love that J820 for our old LOC V-2, bang, pow!
Battlepark will debut my Loki M-1650 cocktail, pow with the blue then transitions to red, sounds awesome.

Dwayne,

Our club has our first (I believe) Loki customer, so you might see a few more of us try it out soon as we realize how great those motors are...

38mm is sadly outside my motor (and rocket) budget, so none for me yet. But if you were to offer 29mm stuff, that would be perfect... Nudge nudge, wink wink. Say no more.

I realize you used to offer 29mm hardware but from what I can tell it was only EX.

(Random tangential note: You should start a new TRF account or something, because you just hit 1089 posts. Why 1089? Well, take any 3 digit number that isn't the same backwards. Reverse it and subtract from the original number. Reverse that and add to the difference from the last step. Weird huh? I know a stupid amount of random math trivia.)

Loki 38/120's are comparable to 29mm loads. Note those are sold as two packs ;). Convert a LOC onyx to 38mm and you've got a party.

Loki 38/120's are comparable to 29mm loads. Note those are sold as two packs ;). Convert a LOC onyx to 38mm and you've got a party.

Sure. But I'd love to be able to fly my existing MPRs on Loki. 38/120 is also somewhat limiting as I can't get F motors and the like for small fields.

I currently fly CTI but I would have loved to start with Loki if they had motors in 29mm.

Back