Loki Research- Alive and kicking!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flew my 3" Darkstar to 6474 ft / 917 ft/s today on a Loki K-690 at MWP. Got this shot of the start, next frame was just smoke, it was haulin' off the pad!

h5rA7lB.jpg

I've also got a K-960 that I'm going to try to fly this weekend, hopefully the weather cooperates.

cheers - mark

Wow,, that really is a gorgeous pic...
Those SpitFires are the most photogenic loads ever,, lol..
I can replace that load for you without haz mat or shipping charges tomorrow,,lol...

Teddy

That's a great photo of the K-960 Spitfire Mark.
Same for the K-960 Loki White.
Thanks for posting them guys. :)

Here are a couple great shots of the L-1482 Loki Blue flown by Joe Hill last weekend. Don't be fooled though. It's a BIG rocket. 7.5" x 10.5' tall. Photos were taken by Jim Livingston.

23794924_10214476518770744_2770908458228102795_n.jpg

23659286_10214476518730743_8868852556694629316_n.jpg

And here's an L-840 in the same case flown by Tim Cubbedge back in July of this year.

L840CT_Tim_Cubbedge._croppedJPG.jpg

Flew a J820 last weekend. This is a great motor to get a heavy draggy rocket moving, in this case a 14 lb, 7.5" diameter chunk. Same basic size as a Warlock, but with several extras...
Bob lift off.jpg

Here is my Wildman flying on an M1200 spitfire and my Boob Tube on a K527 red at GRITS this past weekend!

a056294b74a24f0dOrg.jpg

52944dfdf53346ceOrg.jpg

60165c51570a4390Org.jpg

I'm loving all these pictures! Hopefully I'll be adding one soon, upgraded the 38/480 case with a 38/1200!

IMG_2563.jpg

Since we're posting Loki pics. Here's my L3 flight on an M900.

Rocket is a Wildman Ultimate Darkstar.

0c03eda7c6ddb70395b8c3be2e20c4b0.jpg

Last edited:
I am not a professional photagrapher, but I do have a few tips for taking photos of "effects" flame motors.
Under expose the shot by using a high shutter speed and a 400 to 800 or so ISO setting. Keep the sun to your back if at all possible but cloudy and overcast days make for the best shots. When all else fails, use photo editing software to reflect the true color as best you can. Of course the very best thing to do is simply to purchase Loki reloads and experience all their beautiful brilliance and glory in person with the naked eye. :)

K527LR_SizzlerXL_Brian_Morrison.jpg

The new Loki Research 54mm Tail Cones will soon be available for use with the three highest performance 54mm motors on the market today. The Loki Research L-1040 Loki Red (3,708Ns), L-2050 Loki White (4,802Ns) and the first and only 54mm M motor the M-1378 Loki Red (5,361Ns) will soon benefit from increased performance. This new tail cone will greatly reduce the base drag of any minimum diameter rocket using these reloads and increase the attained altitude and speed by a fair amount, especially when traveling near or past Mach 3 speeds.

The first production part came in at about 33 grams or 1.16oz. They will be plated per MIL-A-8625F Type 3, Class 2 Blue (hardcoat) at .0022" coating thickness as all other Loki Hardware is currently being plated. They will be held in place with 4 cone tipped (high hold) 6/32" stainless steel screws which are set into the linen phenolic nozzles. These have been flight tested with the M-1378 with excellent results and will soon be available to everyone.

These should be boxed and shipped to the platers for Hardcoat anodizing next week. Hopefully they will be available for purchase on the website by December 18th. Pricing has yet to be set as final production costs are not fully known yet.

Thank you for your support!

54mm_Tail_Cone.jpg

I need to add, there was a change to the end margins on the 54/2800 and 4000 cases last year. The distance from the end of the case to the snap ring grooves use to be .250" and was changed to .200", the same as all the shorter 54mm cases. This was done to keep all 54mm cases retaining ring end margins the same. What this means is, this tail cone will hang over the end of the nozzle by .050" if used with the older hardware. The simple fix is to have the end of the tail cone shortened by .050" so that the end of the nozzle will be flush with the tail cone. I can do this for you if you mention it in the comment box at check out on the web site. I will add this information to the website when this item is added. The down side is that the end of the part will be bare aluminum, but it will work.

Last edited:
The new Loki Research 54mm Tail Cones will soon be available for use with the three highest performance 54mm motors on the market today. The Loki Research L-1040 Loki Red (3,708Ns), L-2050 Loki White (4,802Ns) and the first and only 54mm M motor the M-1378 Loki Red (5,361Ns) will soon benefit from increased performance. This new tail cone will greatly reduce the base drag of any minimum diameter rocket using these reloads and increase the attained altitude and speed by a fair amount, especially when traveling near or past Mach 3 speeds.

The first production part came in at about 33 grams or 1.16oz. They will be plated per MIL-A-8625F Type 3, Class 2 Blue (hardcoat) at .0022" coating thickness as all other Loki Hardware is currently being plated. They will be held in place with 4 cone tipped (high hold) 6/32" stainless steel screws which are set into the linen phenolic nozzles. These have been flight tested with the M-1378 with excellent results and will soon be available to everyone.

These should be boxed and shipped to the platers for Hardcoat anodizing next week. Hopefully they will be available for purchase on the website by December 18th. Pricing has yet to be set as final production costs are not fully known yet.

Thank you for your support!

View attachment 333275

Whoa! I'm in!!!:cool:

Scott, I know this is picky, but could I get these in black? No, really, since all my high performance designs I are carbon fiber (black).

From the Ether...

Scott, I know this is picky, but could I get these in black? No, really, since all my high performance designs I are carbon fiber (black).

From the Ether...

Hmmm..... it's definitely something to think about Tim. Anyone else???

The blue (albeit a very dark blue) is of course the trademark color of Loki. It may be a nice subtle difference in color that makes one take notice above and beyond the jaw dropping sight of a mach 3 rocket. :wink:

The problem is I'd have to do the whole lot in the same color or I'll get hit with a separate line item minimum. I will ask though just to be sure.

If you want black, take a sharpie or rattle can to it...
That might work on but not great on anodized blue.

Scott, frankly I'd be fine with unanodized silver and then will use some BBQ paint burnished into the aluminum with #0000 steel wool. Can non-anodized be an option?

From the Ether...

Color doesn’t matter to me, but I’m definitely picking one up!

That might work on but not great on anodized blue.

Scott, frankly I'd be fine with unanodized silver and then will use some BBQ paint burnished into the aluminum with #0000 steel wool. Can non-anodized be an option?

From the Ether...

I could sell you the first part that was made to get the setup correct. It has a bit of chatter on a small transition step on the ID. You'll never see it once in place. It's the one pictured I believe. Not anodizing it will leave it FAR more prone to damage and surface scratching on landings, be it your launch field or garage floor. I dropped my first prototype on the shops concrete floor and dented the aft section (which was ridiculously thin). The production parts are now over twice as thick, to keep that from happening again.

I could sell you the first part that was made to get the setup correct. It has a bit of chatter on a small transition step on the ID. You'll never see it once in place. It's the one pictured I believe. Not anodizing it will leave it FAR more prone to damage and surface scratching on landings, be it your launch field or garage floor. I dropped my first prototype on the shops concrete floor and dented the aft section (which was ridiculously thin). The production parts are now over twice as thick, to keep that from happening again.
Scott, that might work as I'm going to need the end cut anyway as I have one of your first 54-4000's. Can you email me?

From the Ether...

It’s good to hear that Loki is alive and well. I’ve been frustrated with the availability of CTI products after the fire. Teddy at OneBadHawk has been trying to sell me on your product line. Having the web store closed had me worried that Loki was going out of business too.

It May sound odd, but whenever the Loki web store closes its a good sign. Means Scott is busy cranking out propellant.

Well I was nearly a lot poorer this morning, until the wife veto'd me... no more M's til I burn some.... ho hum.. there may be some logic in that, so I share for you pleasure

Chris's Rocket Supply
Capture.JPG

attachment.php

This image made me pull down the CF Mongoose 54 and start planning to fly my L2050. Then I might be ready to try the M1378 at Airfest next year....

I have added the 54mm Tail Cones to the website. They can be found on the 54mm Hardware page just below the 54/4000 hardware here.
They will be sold with 5 set screws (one extra) and a 1/16" Allen hex key for installation. I expect to begin shipping these at some point after December 18th once they arrive. You will not be billed until your order is ready to ship. The 54mm standard bulkheads will be available at the same time.

In case it was overlooked in the description, the Tail Cones mate flush to the aft end of the motor case and match the motor case diameter.

Back