Loki Research- Alive and kicking!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! When's the 38mm one hit the streets? ;)

There won't be one for 38mm as the current design of all 38mm Loki reloads is not at all conducive to adding a tail cone to the hardware The exit of the nozzle has to be aft of the motor case and only the 54mm single use nozzles allow for this.

So when the 76mm N comes out, you'll make one for that, right?

For the pair of new 76mm N reloads you and Savage will be purchasing? Sure :)

I'm not certain if I really want to make it an N though. You'd need to put it at N motor distances and it won't be as exciting to see a baby N out that far as it would be a full 3" M closer up.

Flawed logic?

For the pair of new 76mm N reloads you and Savage will be purchasing? Sure :)

I'm not certain if I really want to make it an N though. You'd need to put it at N motor distances and it won't be as exciting to see a baby N out that far as it would be a full 3" M closer up.

Flawed logic?

more newton seconds more better.

There won't be one for 38mm as the current design of all 38mm Loki reloads is not at all conducive to adding a tail cone to the hardware The exit of the nozzle has to be aft of the motor case and only the 54mm single use nozzles allow for this.
Hmmm...maybe a case with a built in tapered cone would work if you just load the motor from the front. Or maybe some threads on the inside of the aft end of the motor case and screw on a tail cone. Or...maybe I’ll just be happy with the 54mm one. :)

Okay, so I'd love an N, but I'm not going minimum diameter with it just yet...

I was guessing with what you did with the 54mm stuff that you could squeeze an N into the 8000 case with your red propellant and a single use nozzle.

I'd love to see that, or the 98mm line start up again, but I'd probably spend more on blue and cocktail 54mm motors than N motors. I could see one N every few years at most.

Are you actually planning to go to a longer case with the N's, or do your magic with the 8000 N-s case?

Ha

What a great idea Scott,,
whoda ever thought of it..
An "N" in the 76 / 8000 case...
Wholey smokes man,,
what a dynamite idea...
Fill the top of the case with Red grains with a fairly small diameter core,,
and a couple of blue grains at the bottom of the stack with their standard core..
What an abosolutly smokin idea,, whoda ever thought ????
I'm just floored at what a great idea this is..
I just bet people would flip over it...
Well how do ya like them apples ???

Wad da ya say Scott ??????????

Lol..

Teddy

As far as standoff distances, most clubs just have an away cell, and if you are flying L-3 stuff it goes there. They are either setup for an N or they are not...

Getting an N in that case was a guess from some really rough back of the envelope calcs. No burn Sim or anything, just a ballpark guesstimate that went like this:

He got x% more in the 54/2800 case with red propellant and a single use nozzle.
Apply that to what he's getting with his white propellant in the 76/8000 case and you get an N!

I'm not trying to give away your secrets here, Scott, but I had heard something about a 76mm N in the works awhile back, and did a quick calc and guessed that was how you'd do it.

in the 76/8000 case and you get an N!

Makes you wonder what the "8000" in 76/8000 means...... :facepalm:

Bring back the Kosdon 75/10k!

Just testing out a few design ideas here last year. Don't get too excited.....Teddy.
[video=youtube;NU2hxbzxCLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU2hxbzxCLs[/video]

How much is "too excited"??
76-8000 N-1856? well N anything... BOOSTA!
with that beastie as a booster and the 54mm M lighting in thin air, oooh... i see 150K+ on a Loki powered two stage. Methinks Vogon Poetry gets refit for Loki power for Balls 2018!!

This all makes me dream of the day that Loki is CA approved. Will there ever be any thought of going through the process? If not, I'll start flying at Black Rock twice a year and maybe have motors meet me there?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Just testing out a few design ideas here last year. Don't get too excited.....Teddy.
[video=youtube;NU2hxbzxCLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU2hxbzxCLs[/video]

Ah ha !!!!!
I knew it.....
You've been holding out.....
And after all we've been through together....

Ohhh,, woe is me,,, lol...

Teddy

in the 76/8000 case and you get an N!

Makes you wonder what the "8000" in 76/8000 means...... :facepalm:

Bring back the Kosdon 75/10k!

You snuck this post in on me Fred.
Are you a would-be customer for that 75~10k hardware? Maybe we should call it something different.

Bring it back hu? Careful what you wish for. ;-)

This all makes me dream of the day that Loki is CA approved. Will there ever be any thought of going through the process? If not, I'll start flying at Black Rock twice a year and maybe have motors meet me there?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Yes I've thought about it, and it irritates the hell outta me. One day....
With LDRS in CA this year, AIRfest is going to be the place for Loki fliers to be. I know where I'll be at!

Start flying at Black Rock twice a year and have motors meet you there. :)

Teddy, I told you about the red N already. :facepalm:

Here's another that I took Dave!
M900_LR_Dukerson_L3.jpg

I was just saying last week I can't wait until you get around to doing to the 76 mm what you have done to the 38 and 54.

38K...check
54M...check
76N...check (apparently)

I have a feeling CI(VII), AeroAggie and I would all try our hands at min-diameter rockets with a Loki 76N. Mmmmm.

I have a feeling CI(VII), AeroAggie and I would all try our hands at min-diameter rockets with a Loki 76N. Mmmmm.

Yes, and I'm glad I learned of this before starting my Falcon 3. May change the build a bit. This may turn into my Black Rock excuse.

76-8000 N-1856? well N anything... BOOSTA!
with that beastie as a booster and the 54mm M lighting in thin air, oooh... i see 150K+ on a Loki powered two stage. Methinks Vogon Poetry gets refit for Loki power for Balls 2018!!

I'm really liking the sound of this.

Don't tempt me like that. I have to get these 38s and 54s built first! And still haven't designed mine for the 54/4000 yet.
Hurry up! Me too...

A sim file for that 76N would be really fun to mess around with. Hint hint.

When using a CTI delay adjustment tool on LOKI delays is the scale accurate as is, or do the setting have to be adjusted? In other words if the tool is set on -7, will it shorten the Loki delay by 7 seconds? I assume it should be ok, as long as it is with the delay range specified in the reload instructions.

This is from Scott:
Loki XL delay = leave it alone
Loki L = CTI -3
Loki M = CTI -5
Loki S = CTI -7
Loki XS = CTI -9

Back