What happens when you forget to turn off your JL Alt3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krislhull

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I flew my JL Altimeter3 in my PSII Nike Smoke on Saturday, and I completely forgot to take a look at the data on my phone, and turn the altimeter off before I left the flying field for the 3hr 40min drive back home.

When I got home, I pulled the altimeter out to take a look at the graph, and this is what I saw... and yes, I go over a mountain pass that is right around 2,400ft.

altimeter3 a.jpg altimeter3 graph.jpg

I love that it recorded for over 5hrs!

Let me know if you can set Flight End at the correct spot and have the flight make more sense, please.

Note:
If you've never tried this:
1. Go to the chart view
2. Zoom in to the correct landing point
3. Quickly tap the graph there, re-tapping if you miss. (Not a long hold, just a quick tap; you should see just a blue dot on the landing point.)
4. Touch the Marker tool (looks like a flag) and select Flight End.

If necessary, leave the flight and re-enter it, or double-tap the chart to redraw it.

Turn it on, and leave it in your pocket for a day...

My drive to work has minimal alt gain, but at work, I go up & down stairs every so often. And with GPS tracking, I could see how many times I've walked across / around the shop floor (80K square feet facility!) and my drive home has me over a bridge (yes, my to & from routes differ..) so, could be interesting!

That's really cool. I love my Altimeter 3 but rush to recover it and get the data off it for fear of losing it. Nice to know they continue to function so well long after the launch.

How did you secure it to your PSII Nike Smoke?

Why did you descend to -8000 feet AGL before you turned it off? What's the real story here?

How did you secure it to your PSII Nike Smoke?

Why did you descend to -8000 feet AGL before you turned it off? What's the real story here?

I have the nomex pouch they sell for the JLALT3, and then I just secure it to the parachute quicklink before I take it to the pad.

As for the -8000ft, I have no idea what the heck that is!

His front door is really a trans-dimensional portal. make your ears pop when you go in & out.. but you get used to it!! :D :D

Shhhhh! Don't tell everybody that my house is really the Tardis!

Back