Loki motors - where do you buy yours?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm shopping for 54mm case and motors, and am taking a serious look at Loki.

The only trouble is that every time I go price comparison shopping of Loke vs. AT or CTI, the latter two are always 10-25% cheaper for a similar size and thrust motor.
That's partly because all online Loki vendors, including Loki Research itself, seam to be listing Loki motors at the MSRP prices without any discounts (well, there is one that knocks off 5%). AT motors, on the other hand, can be regularly found for 15-20% off MSRP prices, and are thus appreciably easier on the wallet.

So, where do you source your discounted Loki's?

a

Yep Chris Short. I get all my motors from him. He is also our on site vendor and saves me tons on HAZMAT as well. If it wasn't for him, I probably would have never gone for my level 2. HAZMAT would eat up my motor budget.

I've never seen Loki at a discount. Charging MSRP for items keeps things fair across the board. I have more Aerotech hardware than any others though. When I go 75/76mm it will likely be Loki.

Search for a 54mm M from AT/CTI, and an answer will be revealed.

I do know about M-1378, but that doesn't really float my boat.
I can fly M-motors in 75mm size from AT/CTI for materially less than $350 M-1378, and here in North East, we struggle to fly under low AGL limits (<5K).
This is the land of G-J motors, unless you drive 4+ hours...

Loki you pay what you pay - no discount! I get mine from Chris Short
if your in NJ/NY area you could probably hook up with Teddy (https://www.onebadhawk.com/index.html) at a launch for LOKI motors.

Thanks for references, I'm sure these are both great dudes.

My challenge is not finding someone local to take my money (though I'm sure Teddy and Chris will find a way), but justifying jumping onto Loki bandwagon when each and every ride will cost me +25% over AT/CTI.

I do appreciate the fact that Scott Kormeier hangs out on these boards, and probably would not have given his product this much consideration if he didn't. What am I missing?
:confused2:

a

I can fly M-motors in 75mm size from AT/CTI for materially less than $350 M-1378, and here in North East, we struggle to fly under low AGL limits (<5K).

My challenge is not finding someone local to take my money (though I'm sure Teddy and Chris will find a way), but justifying jumping onto Loki bandwagon when each and every ride will cost me +25% over AT/CTI.

I do appreciate the fact that Scott Kormeier hangs out on these boards, and probably would not have given his product this much consideration if he didn't. What am I missing?

a

The best answer I can give is that Loki motors are just "angrier" than other motors. If you ever see an I405 fly you will be in. Just more fire and noise than an I white motor has any right to have. Scott also makes some unique motors like 38mm Ks and a 54mm M. I believe one of the reasons the Loki stuff is more violent is that he has thicker cases, and runs higher pressures than other makers. No doubt that the motors are slightly more expensive, and don't go on sale, but the Loki stuff is just a bit different...some motors don;t even have an equivalent to compare them to. Admittedly, I don't fly very often, so the price difference doesn't get me like folks that fly multiple motors a month. That infrequency also makes me go for special flights more, and that pulls me toward Loki too.

I think Loki motor enthusiast are a bit cultish, myself included, and most would be happy to indoctrinate you. Find someone local with a Loki case, get one of the no hazmat loads, and give it a try.

Loki does some things the others don't, and that's a good reason for me to add them to the mix. If price is your primary consideration and you don't need the unique stuff Loki makes, it may not be a good fit for you.

It's one of those things, "if you have to ask". The east coast is loaded with Loki fliers. Lokis hit hard and fast, perfect for the East. Get a big pig up to speed quick.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

if your in NJ/NY area you could probably hook up with Teddy (https://www.onebadhawk.com/index.html) at a launch for LOKI motors.
He's a good guy, very knowledgeable, he'll treat you right.

Thank you so much Joe,,,
Always lookin out man,, lol...

I am definitely not understanding this statement..
If you look up a comparable thrust curve of a Loki load and a load similar by another manufacturer I most often find the Loki load to be less $ / Ns..
Now that's dollars per Neuton second... Not comparing the price of one load to another.. This may or may not be every time,, but I find it's most often..
Also,, someone mentioned a specific load and it's ass kickin nature..
While we're on the subject, I'd like to divulge my favorite Loki case..
It's the 38 / 480...
Burn a I 316 Spit,,, a I 405 LW,,, a I 430 LB,,, you'll understand why in less then 2 seconds,, no joke...
How about the 38 / 1200 and either the J 396 Spit or the J 1000 LW,,,
sorry man,, but these two loads are just about guaranteed to scare all the little children at the field...

Anything Loki that you'd like without paying Haz mat can be worked out, no doubt...
Send me an email with your address,, we'll figure out a meet up...

Economy of scale...you can't reasonably expect Loki to be on par with AT and CTI on price. I purchase my Loki loads from Teddy.

Thank you always Pit...
See ya next week...

Teddy

a

Missing this evidently:

AT I211 = ~$47 retail
442 NS total impulse
47 / 442 = ~$0.11 per NS

Loki I210 = ~$40 retail
490 NS total impulse
40 / 490 = $0.08 per NS

The AT I211 can be had for a little cheaper if you join club Wildman or get it on sale with someone else blah blah blah...but when you do a little exercise like this typically you'll find Loki to be quite competitive. Even if you factor in the cost of an ignitor which is not included in Loki reload kits.

-Dave

I have lost my onsite vendor RAH , online I buy from Chris Rocketry supply's he is the one that got me hooked on the 38/480 Case and loads

I got in for loads that don't have hazmat and like caffeine got addicted

I have lost my onsite vendor RAH , online I buy from Chris Rocketry supply's he is the one that got me hooked on the 38/480 Case and loads

I got in for loads that don't have hazmat and like caffeine got addicted

Ohhh crap,,
How could I forget to say that..
Thank you man...
Most of the 480 case ships USPS==== no haz mat...

And thank you for doing the homework Dave..

Teddy

I get my loads from Performance Hobbies, but now that I'm in Alabama I'll start getting them from Chris Short.

AT 54mm 3 grain motors, 92 MSRP, 80 retail
Loki 54mm 3 grain- 80 MSRP, 80 retail

AT 2800 loads - retail 170
Loki 2800 loads retail 165

I'm not seeing loki as costing more here...... Where are you pricing things? If you're comparing black friday pricing, thats not really comparable.

Looks aren't usually discounted (I have gotten discounts from Scott before, he randomly has sales) but they're worth every penny. I'd rather fly one K1127 than three J510W's

If you look up a comparable thrust curve of a Loki load and a load similar by another manufacturer I most often find the Loki load to be less $ / Ns..
Now that's dollars per Neuton second... Not comparing the price of one load to another.. This may or may not be every time,, but I find it's most often..
Also,, someone mentioned a specific load and it's ass kickin nature..

Thanks guys, I got my answer.
It's a combo of a cult following, cool-burning motors, and good on-site dealer support (for some areas).

Loki doesn't sell at much of a discount, and that is just how it is.

Please don't mistake my inquiry for knocking Loki in any way.
I'm just doing my due diligence before committing to a 54mm hardware and motor system...

While we're on the subject, I'd like to divulge my favorite Loki case..
It's the 38 / 480...
Burn a I 316 Spit,,, a I 405 LW,,, a I 430 LB,,, you'll understand why in less then 2 seconds,, no joke...
How about the 38 / 1200 and either the J 396 Spit or the J 1000 LW,,,

Thanks, Teddy, I'm good on 38mm hardware.
Between 2 38mm AT cases (360 and 720) + RAS, I can burn 40+ different G-J motors from $16-$51.
Which should keep me busy for years to come. The motors may, or may not, be as cool as what Loki has, but 40 motors for 2 cases is hard to beat.

54mm is my target for this holiday season.
75mm for Xmas 2018, unless I wont be able to control my urges and stock up on both this year.
:fly:

AT 54mm 3 grain motors, 92 MSRP, 80 retail
Loki 54mm 3 grain- 80 MSRP, 80 retail

AT 2800 loads - retail 170
Loki 2800 loads retail 165

I'm not seeing loki as costing more here...... Where are you pricing things? If you're comparing black friday pricing, thats not really comparable.

Since you asked, 54/2800 AT case has three (3) K/L motors: {K990-DM, K1050-W, L1090-W}, obtainable for $: {157, 149, 170}
54/2800 Loki case has has 4 K/L motors: {K350, K830, L1040, L1400}, last one (L1400) is out of stock, others are obtainable from Loki for $: {170, 175, 165, 235 - OOS}

I haven't done any serious price shopping for AT, just cited prices from here: https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/isho...-2-reloads-82/hpr-rms-54-2800-reload-kits-88/

Lokis aren't usually discounted (I have gotten discounts from Scott before, he randomly has sales) but they're worth every penny. I'd rather fly one K1127 than three J510W's

Understood.

That's what I figured and wanted to confirm with this thread.

alex

Thanks guys, I got my answer.
It's a combo of a cult following, cool-burning motors, and good on-site dealer support (for some areas).

Loki doesn't sell at much of a discount, and that is just how it is.

Please don't mistake my inquiry for knocking Loki in any way.
I'm just doing my due diligence before committing to a 54mm hardware and motor system...

Thanks, Teddy, I'm good on 38mm hardware.
Between 2 38mm AT cases (360 and 720) + RAS, I can burn 40+ different G-J motors from $16-$51.
Which should keep me busy for years to come. The motors may, or may not, be as cool as what Loki has, but 40 motors for 2 cases is hard to beat.

54mm is my target for this holiday season.
75mm for Xmas 2018, unless I wont be able to control my urges and stock up on both this year.
:fly:

Since you asked, 54/2800 AT case has three (3) K/L motors: {K990-DM, K1050-W, L1090-W}, obtainable for $: {157, 149, 170}
54/2800 Loki case has has 4 K/L motors: {K350, K830, L1040, L1400}, last one (L1400) is out of stock, others are obtainable from Loki for $: {170, 175, 165, 235 - OOS}

I haven't done any serious price shopping for AT, just cited prices from here: https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/isho...-2-reloads-82/hpr-rms-54-2800-reload-kits-88/

Understood.

That's what I figured and wanted to confirm with this thread.

alex

Wooooo,,,
"Out of Stock" ??????????
What's out of stock ???????
My truck is packed to the roof ...
I have 5 Loki L 1400"s in stock as we speak.........
If Loki's out of stock,, I'm the reason........
I am not out of stock on anything,, ever.. I pride myself on that...

Check a J 820 LW Star grain,, try and beat that one,, lol...

Teddy

Yea, it does get down to preference. For me, I had CTI and AT cases and spacers to fly any load they made.

Realized I only ever flew high or low, and in three years never flew a spacer. Decided my favorite low for 38 was a Loki 38/120, and the best high was a 38/1200. Sold all my other cases.

54 is a weird spot. I could happily fly one case in that range. I had an AT 54/1706 and loved it. Great loads, good variety. I did sell it, slightly regret it. My only 54 commerical motor now is a Loki 1200 and I don't fly it much now, preferring to fly the 38/1200. If was wasn't moving into EX, I'd get another 54/1706 most likely. It's a great size and I like blues.

76 is a size I know I'm only going to have one case for. 76/6000 Loki and I'm very comfortable with that. Case and loads are I believe lower than AT.

i guess my point is variety sounds great, but if you're like me and don't wind up using or needing that variety, it's not really a benefit

I've flown 1 Loki load. M900 for my L3 cert. Great motor for the 76/6000 case. :)

I plan to get more, but fell down the EX rabbit hole and need to find my way out again before I do that.... wanders off looking for his bucket of AP.... :)

Loki motors are awesome. If it wasn't for burning out my stash of AT motors, I would be flying Loki all day er'ry day. I'd like to get more Loki cases right now but I'm at a point where I don't fly often enough to buy new cases. But then again if I sold the stash of AT motors and cases I've got, then maybe I could.. LOL. Decisions decisions.

Flew the M3464. AWESOME. I mean, AWESOME. I never expected my WAC to get up to 9000 in my lifetime. Maybe if I staged it someday. But otherwise not really.

I have some more cases, including 38/480... I need to fly those. Biggest drawback I have right now is that I fly electronics-based deployment almost exclusively and I need to get comfortable with putting eyebolts in my forward Loki closures (which the threaded ones are vented, BTW -- biggest issue I have right now).

Do it. It's fun.

Loki motors are awesome. If it wasn't for burning out my stash of AT motors, I would be flying Loki all day er'ry day. I'd like to get more Loki cases right now but I'm at a point where I don't fly often enough to buy new cases. But then again if I sold the stash of AT motors and cases I've got, then maybe I could.. LOL. Decisions decisions.

Flew the M3464. AWESOME. I mean, AWESOME. I never expected my WAC to get up to 9000 in my lifetime. Maybe if I staged it someday. But otherwise not really.

I have some more cases, including 38/480... I need to fly those. Biggest drawback I have right now is that I fly electronics-based deployment almost exclusively and I need to get comfortable with putting eyebolts in my forward Loki closures (which the threaded ones are vented, BTW -- biggest issue I have right now).

Do it. It's fun.

Mike I just burned a M 3000 LW in my rocket "SteamPunk"...
Absolutely knocked my socks off...
The flight is on David R's vid of the Airfest launch in the Airfest thread at 4 min 40 secs...
100% for sure I'm going to send that rocket up one last time on that M 3464 LB...
Then I'm going to retire it...
It was nice to see you again Mike,, lol..

Teddy

What you are missing is one of the most reliable, yet easiest motors to build and fly and a huge crowd pleaser! I converted over from ATI to Loki about a year ago in the 54mm hardware and I have not looked back. It was one of the best decisions I have made due to ease of motor assembly! And when one flies at a club launch you can best assure that someone will yell "WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?" As for cost I have not seen that to be much of a factor over all. You get exactly what you pay for...the best that is out there!

Back