MAC Performance RainMaker 54 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post weekend update.

Miraculously I found enough time to get what I wanted done for once.

Gluing up the fincan.

Step one was to mark the MMT where the fins would align, as I have an opportunity to lay down the epoxy bead for the root directly on the MMT, vs. on the fin and through the fin slot which is typically how I do this. I also took some 80 grit sand paper and scuffed up the retainer where it would sit under the tailcone. The plan is to glue the fins and the external part of the retainer where it meets the inside of the tailcone. This is also unique to this build.

Next I prepped the MMT with the previously epoxied top CR/integrated attachment y-harness, and retainer for gluing. Sorry for the blurry pics but I often have challenges with the cell phone camera auto focus.

I then prepped the adhesives. I used JB-Weld for the root and Aeropoxy ES6209 structural adhesive for the aft end of the tailcone where it meets the internal part of the retainer.

26274077489_daf82d6e3b_z.jpg

As you can see below, the following steps of gluing it up and any revealing internal pics were skipped. This is because it got a bit busy laying down a bead of ES6209 around the inner circumference of the aft end of the tailcone, and the JB-Weld beads on the MMT. However the result was very clean and worked out exceptionally well.

When I slid the assembly through the tailcone, as expected, I picked up some ES6209 on the outside of the retainer, however I had some paper towel ready to wipe it off. Once this was roughly in place I slid the CR down in order to center the assembly. Then I inserted each fin through the fin slot until the root was flush against the MMT. Once I was certain the fins were squarely in place I slid the MMT assembly forward until the retainer shoulder was against the aft end of the fin tabs. At this stage I slid the CR back up and out of the way to internally inspect to ensure everything was still aligned. The next step was to slightly rotate the MMT assembly back and forth until it built up a small even fillet on each side of the fin. Then I slid the CR back in place, the fin alignment jig on and a rubber band to hold the fins firmly square on the MMT, and left it standing upright overnight to set up.

38019198882_ed3df56ef7_z.jpg

Next up I slid the CR out of the way and visually inspected the fin root fillets by shining a flashlight up through the MMT and looking through the opening in the top of the assembly. This revealed excellent results. Because of the viscosity differences in the adhesives, the JB-Weld pretty much stayed in place, while the ES6209 settled nicely around the external surface of the retainer and tailcone.

As mentioned in a previous post I was planning on laying down some small internal fillets where the fins meet the inside wall of the tailcone, however I opted to foam it instead.

Foaming is something I have only done 4 times. The first time being with Home Depot crack filler foam, which I later discovered after reading another TRF thread was not likely a good idea. The other two times, plus this one I used PML two part foam. From my limited experience I know that prep and pouring it in small batches is the key to good results. That being said I masked all surfaces on the fins, tailcone and MMT that I did not want this stuff to be on. Then I did a dry run with bathroom Dixie cups to ensure they a good fit for the process. I ended up mixing and pouring this in two small batches. I also took some paper towel while the foam was still wet and wiped up some of the overflow, which made for an easier clean-up.

26274078249_fa2a579d24_z.jpg

After removing the tape and cleaning-up the top edge of the phenolic coupler, the below was what I was left with. For the most part the clean-up was easy, the majority of effort was put into digging out the excess hardening foam from the top of the phenolic coupler, so that the stepped CR would fit back on.

Last part was to set it aside for a bit to ensure that the foam was fully set-up before I glued the CR in place, only to be forced up. To be safe I left it for an hour then laid down a nice bead of ES6209 on the MMT where I had previously scuffed it up, and the inside and top of the integrated phenolic coupler, and set it aside overnight.

26274079419_313c86b7c0_z.jpg

And here is one very sturdy fincan, I would say indestructible but I may find a way. One thing I mentioned that I was going to do, and ended up doing, was laying a small drop of ES6209 on each side of the recovery harness locking pins, just to lock them in place.

At this stage I am wondering how to cram a Loki 38-1200 case in this bird and still have room for my 25' 3 loop 3/16 One Bad Hawk recovery harness and a small drogue, likely 10" or even 8".

Before the discussion turns to drogue vs. drogueless, consider the following. I am only into HPR 5ish years now, and I came into the hobby with an open mind and an assumption that everyone else had something to offer me in the way of advice. However the one caveat was not to take any advice without at least playing the devils advocate. This comes from a realization that people often repeat things that they take on face value from individuals or groups that they respect. That being said it wasn't long until the age old drogue vs. drogueless debate came up in another thread, so I read all sides with an open mind and asked questions. I then took both sides of the argument to task and looked for any videos to support claims, spoke to people in both camps at every launch, and paid attention to each recovery as it unfolded in real-time. That being said, at the end of the day I am firmly in the drogue camp and so it is important for me to use a drogue. Having said that I am still open and I am very aware that this rule will have exceptions, but I don't see the case for that here.

So with that out of the way, as you can see based on the pic below, with the 38-1200 hardware and the K1127LB loaded, space is tight...why should Dave have all the fun. The config below is without the AV-Bay band, which I believe is roughly an inch. It is also adjusted for the retainer and tailcone setup I went with, which necessitated removing about an inch and a half ish of the tailcone. For my main I am leaning towards a 30" FruityChute Iris Ultra Light, which has a really good packing density so I am pretty sure that I can shave an inch or three off the payload tube.

At the end of the day my goal is to play with the tube lengths to gain a bit more length in the booster by taking it away from other areas, but while maintaining the original overall length of the rocket. So I would like to hear your opinions on replacing the booster tube that came with the kit, doing away with the AV-Bay ring, and shortening the payload tube by whatever length I need to make up for the TBD space for this motor hardware, and ordering a new tube from MAC. The old tube will no doubt find it's way onto another build so it's not a waste in my mind but a commitment for another build. :)

Unfortunately I don't have the motor hardware in my possession, but hope to have it in a week or so. Once I get it I will mock everything up and see how much space I need to get the recovery hardware in there. I am guessing that I need roughly three inches.

Last edited:
This just arrived

Time to send an email to Mark @ Stickershock and finalize my theme, then have Mark cut some masks. His masking film is very easy to work with and the results are incredibly clean.

Okay small update, which is good-news/good-news. I received a package from Mac today containing a replacement tube for the booster so I can easily fit the Loki 38-1200 hardware.

The package contained the longer tube on the left. Realistically I may only need a few additional inches or less. So if you look at the second largest tube, which is the stock booster tube from the Rainmaker, just add a few inches on to that. The smaller tube is the existing payload tube from the rainmaker, which I may simply take an equal length off, just to net out the same overall height of the kit.

I am still waiting for my 38-1200 hardware so I won't be cutting it until I can confirm things with a dry fitting, including the laundry.

The second good news is, as you can see I will be left over with quite a bit of tubing...hmm what to do, what to do :)

Good news to your question, just send to me :).
Look forward to the build - your high flyers are always cool

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Time to resurrect this build.

So I decided to lengthen the booster from the stock 23.5" to 31" as well I added a .75" AV bay band. This extends the stock Rainmaker 8.25", whcih is very reasonable for this rocket.

Admittedly I could have shaved that down by at least 3 inches and possibly up to 4.5",. However I am not going for any records with this build and I would rather have a comfortable margin for packing the recovery gear and the luxury of a full range of motor hardware. This of course includes the Loki 38-1200 hardware as a matter of fact I already purchased the K1127 LB reload.

Next up is the AV bay

I wouldn't worry about performance as it's not a minimum diameter. I'd go for looks and "what hasn't been done". The bell retainer is the coolest looking thing going and would look fantastic on that build. I have always wanted one myself. I'd trim the base of the tailcone so that it is the same diameter as the bell retainer. Sooooo sexy.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum
What he said x2.....

I thought I wold tackle the easy part, bulkheads, while I figure out how to mount the screw switch on the PLA sled that came with the kit.

First up was to figure out a reasonable layout for the pieces on the bulkhead and drill. I decided the use the rubber grommets that seal by tightening a screw to pass the e-match wires through. This allows me to connect the e-matches directly to the altimeter. I ended up using my countersink bit to chamfer the edges of the holes because when you drill the canvas the edges tend to raise, at least with my tool setup they did.

I am using the 2.5 gram sized of Mike's deployment canisters, which are nice and light.

I used a 1/4' forged eye-bolt instead of the lighter gauge stock one that is bent closed, but not welded. I have a bunch of these in stock and have used them on a few builds with no failures. I can't recall the specs on them except that they are overkill. Once the eye-bolt and charge canister were installed I used a red loctite to secure the nuts, then dremeled the excess length off the shanks so they are flush.

I then slid the sled on and set the stop nuts in place with some more loctite

And presto the bulkheads are complete.

Time to cut some witness marks and start aligning how I want the sled to be in the AV bay in relation to the sampling ports and screw switch. At this stage I was still unsure on how I was going to mount the switch, except that access would be through one of the ports.

A pic of the completed AV bay , minus the electronics.

I also took this moment to drill the holes and set the self clenching nuts in place for the 2-56 shear pins as well as the 2-56 machine screws to pin the payload tube to the top of the AV bay. I opted to use two shear pins on this build as all compartments are vented so I don't have to contend with any internal pressure differences, just drag forces.

Next up, how to mount the screw switch.

I finished up the AV bay including my initial bench testing, but I still have to perform ground testing. For those paying attention to the details, you will notice two things different from the previous sled pics. The sled is a different colour and the altimeter is different.

When figuring out how to layout the sled I ended up moving things around and was left with a hole pattern that didn't work. To keep it clean I decided to order a new sled from Mike.

I also decided to use the Altus Metrum Easy Mini altimeter for this as I prefer to use factory assembled for primary and if appropriate I love my Eggtimers as backup. In this case there is no backup so I swapped the Eggtimer Quark for the Altus Metrum Easy Mini and will save the Eggfinder for another build that has dual altimeters.

With this setup I left one side clean with all wires, switches and the battery on the backside. This worked out nicely.

I really wanted to use the micro screw switches I picked up a while back but mounting the switch had me scratching my head for a while. What I ended up doing was very simple and worked out to be a very solid mounting solution.

I cut two pieces of G10 .125" plate, the same width as the switch and then used a rough file to file a groove half way through the plate about .0625 from the end. Then I drilled two #2 holes to match the holes in the switch and sandwiched the switch between the two plates. When the plates are screwed together with the switch mounted from below, it provides a very secure mount, which is also easy to remove for servicing.

The switch access is right in-line with one of the vent holes and turning the switch off an on is simple with a 1/4 turn. That is one thing I noticed while bench testing. If you unscrew the screw too far it can short so you have to be careful. My test results indicate that a half turn or less is very reliable, with a 1/4 turn being the most comfortable position for me.

The black lines are just the tie straps that I used to secure the LiPo as well as the power cord where the battery plugs in. These restrict movement to the point where it is extremely unlikely that the battery will disconnect under load.

Next up is the nosecone tracker.

Some progress on the nosecone bay. The tracker I will be using is the Altus Metrum TeleGPS. This is a fantastic tracker for the price and once you have all of the peripherals (TeleBT, Yagis or other antennas and TeleDongle) then this unit is very affordable. I own 4 of them now, which are all mounted on sleds and the sled design is something I am starting to adopt in other rockets. The goal being to share them among the fleet.

This sled is the MAC nosecone bay kit, which is a great design. The pic below is the kit installed in a removable nosecone coupler. I am using the same micro screw-switch as the main AV bay, mounted the same way and accessible using the hole below the recessed nosecone mounting screw.

This is what the coupler and enclosed kit looks like when removed from the nosecone. I drilled 3 x 1" holes, 120° apart to remove some material for weight and GPS blocking. I realize it is almost pointless but anything the GPS has to go through blocks some signal and this rocket does not need any additional forward mass, so why not. Plus the tube is not structural, it simply needs to hold the sled. I also drilled 3 rows of 3 x .75" holes 120° apart in the body of the tube that is encapsulated in the coupler. This is just for mass savings as the GPS is mounted at the end of the sled with GPS antenna under the larger holes and the RF down-link antenna outside the tube.

Here is a view from the bottom of the assembly looking through it with the allen/hex wrench inserted through the access hole. The sled will fit in the center of the tube resting in a slot on the forward bulkhead, which is in shown in this picture. You can see all of the holes mentioned above.

At this stage I just need to get the sled cut, and mount the GPS, switch and battery. Once complete I will post a final pic of the nosecone bay.

Back