A Little Hardware Help??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarhead

Reaction score
Hey All,
The students from Missouri S&T are back at it; they have 48 kids scratch building L1 rockets to be flown at MWP in just over 4 weeks!
I have been mentoring this group for three years and we are in need of a little additional support this year. With CTI suspending the free hardware certification specials the students have decided to use AeroTech motors this year.
As you can imagine I don't have enough hardware on hand to support all of these flights. I believe that we can keep things moving nicely if we get our mitts on 15 complete sets of 38-240 hardware. this way we can have students launch, recover, clean up and get the hardware to the next flyer without losing any time.
I am asking if anyone here will be at MWP and may have 38/240 hardware that will not be needed if we could borrow yours. I will personally take responsibility for the safe return of your investment should you be able to help us out...
OR, if you wish to relieve yourself of some 38/240 hardware, we can talk price and maybe make a deal...
OR, If you happen to be overstocked with 38/240 hardware the students would gladly accept any donations and put them to use for years to come!
Shoot me a PM so we can get the dialog started. I will update here as we get member's commitment. I don't want to get too carried away here.
Thanks for listening and for any help you can lend.
Tom Maulsby

I'd suggest using the 29mm DMS motors for a group L1 certification flight like this.

Tom- I can't help with the hardware, but what are the plans for building the motors/ doing the flights? If it's Friday eve, I can help out (if they're in Princeton)

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

That many flights..... you're going to lose some. No ifs. Just use single use motors

Thanks all for the replies. Glen, thank you for the offer and good luck with your L3.
As for the single use topic, the student leadership for this group believes that there is strong merit in the ability to build a reloadable motor. While SU is simpler, there is an increased sense of accomplishment in certifying with reloadable motors in my opinion.
As for losing some, that is certainly a part of rocketry and also the basis for my personal assurance of safe return of all goods borrowed. If we are unable to lay our hands on as much as we would like, we will make due with what we can get.
Thanks again and see y'all at MWP!
Tom

Keep in mind, you do build a DMS. It's much the same as a RMS, just with a single use case. Bah... I thought so, but maybe it's only the larger ones...

It also has an advantage in this case, you can build them all ahead of time. So launch day doesn't have you trying to clean and load cases.

If I were going to be there, I would would let you use one. Quite a trip from Utah though. :)

Good luck on the cert flights!

Last edited:
Are you planning to fly all 50 rockets on the same day? If so, then here's another vote for single use motors. Even if you get 15 motor casings, you will be hard pressed to rotate through the entire flight cycle 3+ times, including motor loading, prepping, check-in, flight, recovery, and cleaning. Plus, newbie inefficiency and mistakes will eat up time. Remember, there is a lot of standing around and waiting at big launch events.

Better yet, go ahead and use those RMS motors, so I am not stuck behind 50 guys in the flight queue! :wink:

Hey All,
The students from Missouri S&T are back at it; they have 48 kids scratch building L1 rockets to be flown at MWP in just over 4 weeks!
I have been mentoring this group for three years and we are in need of a little additional support this year. With CTI suspending the free hardware certification specials the students have decided to use AeroTech motors this year.
As you can imagine I don't have enough hardware on hand to support all of these flights. I believe that we can keep things moving nicely if we get our mitts on 15 complete sets of 38-240 hardware. this way we can have students launch, recover, clean up and get the hardware to the next flyer without losing any time.
I am asking if anyone here will be at MWP and may have 38/240 hardware that will not be needed if we could borrow yours. I will personally take responsibility for the safe return of your investment should you be able to help us out...
OR, if you wish to relieve yourself of some 38/240 hardware, we can talk price and maybe make a deal...
OR, If you happen to be overstocked with 38/240 hardware the students would gladly accept any donations and put them to use for years to come!
Shoot me a PM so we can get the dialog started. I will update here as we get member's commitment. I don't want to get too carried away here.
Thanks for listening and for any help you can lend.
Tom Maulsby

Hi Tom,
All of a sudden the board of directors and/or the insurance committee is being contacted by a few students who joined Tripoli within the last couple weeks and who have not yet received their membership packets or Tripoli numbers. They are concerned that they won’t be able to do their certifications without their numbers.
We usually don’t get large numbers of people joining, so HQ has always processed new memberships once a month, usually a few days after the beginning of the month.
Please reassure them that all they have to do is write “pending” in for their number and to show their receipt to their certification authority. Or, they can join onsite using this form:
https://www.tripoli.org/Portals/1/Documents/Membership/Tripoli Membership Application 0717.pdf
I think what you’re doing is wonderful. Thank you!
Steve

Steve Shannon

Hey Tom, I'll send you a PM. I like the idea of having the kids feeling a sense of accomplishment by building their own motors. I got you covered. Anything I have that you need, you're more than welcome to borrow. See you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back