New Eggtimer Rocketry Tracking Hardware/Software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words! The LCD-GPS board and the new RX board are in fab... should be available in about two weeks. Start making your "list"... :)

This system works great !

Listen to this .. my Dark Star had the eGGfinder mini hooked to the shock cord and while it was in the air , Cris was demonstrating his updated LCD and he says turn around and blah blah degrees .. we faced that direction and then the main fired and we were able to see it descend ...because it told us which direction to look .

Kenny

Eggfinder Users:

We've been working on an add-on to the existing LCD receiver that adds a GPS module to make it autonomous... you don't need to use an iPhone or Android to find your rocket, because the display tells you where to go to get it. ...The add-on LCD-GPS Module kit will be under $40, it and the software will be available in early November.
Cris Erving Eggtimer Rocketry
For those of us who presently have the Eggtimer TX & LCD RX, what will we need to do to use the new LCD-GPS system? Is it as simple as just building the new LCD-GPS module to work with our TX module?

For those of us who presently have the Eggtimer TX & LCD RX, what will we need to do to use the new LCD-GPS system? Is it as simple as just building the new LCD-GPS module to work with our TX module?

That's a question for Cris. My LCD is inside a 3D printed case like this:

View attachment 330640

1) Build the board and install it (3 wires... two power plus one that you tack-solder to a processor pin). 2) Update the firmware. 3) Read the manual. ( I HAD to put that in there...). 4) Enjoy!

View attachment 330640

It "might" fit into one of those cases... I don't have one to see. The actual board is about 1.7" x .85". Like any other GPS board, you want it to have a clear view of the sky, in this case that means that the antenna needs to point "up". You might be able to squeeze it into the handle, depending on how big your LiPo is.

View attachment 330640

One is probably going to want to mount it outside and on the top of the case to have a clear shot of the sky. I have the B/T module mounted inside of mine. I have one in your case Dwayne and one in a stock case. Stock case should be no problem.
Kurt

It "might" fit into one of those cases... I don't have one to see. The actual board is about 1.7" x .85". Like any other GPS board, you want it to have a clear view of the sky, in this case that means that the antenna needs to point "up". You might be able to squeeze it into the handle, depending on how big your LiPo is.

Maybe it will fit below the LCD display, between the main board and the front of the case:

module.PNG

I assume the case is transparent to RF?

One more question. Will the add on board be able to run off the 4 AA batteries that are included in the LCD case or will a separate lipo battery be needed? Just think what modifications I need to make to my father-in-laws unit that I built him.

Thanks!

The GPS board mounts inside the case just below the LCD display and PCB, with four (included) black nylon screws and spacers. As long as the case is plastic, there shouldn't be an issue. It will run just fine with the 4xAA battery box that comes with the Eggfinder LCD receiver... of course, if you want to swap it out for a 2S LiPo with a larger capacity, that would be OK. As far as the power consumption goes, it adds about 30 mA, which is a lot less than turning on the display's backlight (300 mA!) or even adding a Bluetooth module (40 mA).

Largest battery that fits is a 2s 1500mah battery. I find that area that is circled above contains the connecting wires in my unit. I also added the light switch. The HC-06 is stuck on the back of the PC board with double edged servo tape.
Could swap out to a smaller capacity battery. I'd see about putting the GPS on top of the case so it would have a better look at the sky. Kurt

The new LCD software (1.10R) is now posted on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site (www.EggtimerRocketry.com, click on Eggfinder Support/Downloads). You can use it without the GPS module and it will give you the distance/heading from your launch pad if you set a waypoint there, but you'll need the GPS module to get the updated distance and heading data as you move.

The new LCD software (1.10R) is now posted on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site (www.EggtimerRocketry.com, click on Eggfinder Support/Downloads). You can use it without the GPS module and it will give you the distance/heading from your launch pad if you set a waypoint there, but you'll need the GPS module to get the updated distance and heading data as you move.
This means existing LCD RX users could install this update without loss of function before getting the new GPS module - correct?

Not sure if I'm among the first to try this update, but....

All went well until I executed the BAT file. The response suggested some problem with "sync". I have sent the details to Chris via email, but I'll post a screen image here for reference...EF GPS Try01.jpg

Late entry: After executing the BAT file, the screen information pauses at the "overriding Baud Rate" line for a few seconds. Then the remainder of the text is displayed. I never get the "avrdude: Send: 0..." line

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm among the first to try this update, but....

All went well until I executed the BAT file. The response suggested some problem with "sync". I have sent the details to Chris via email, but I'll post a screen image here for reference...View attachment 330861

Late entry: After executing the BAT file, the screen information pauses at the "overriding Baud Rate" line for a few seconds. Then the remainder of the text is displayed. I never get the "avrdude: Send: 0..." line

Looking at the image, maybe try putting the files in C:\eggtimer ?

Success after 5 tries... From this experience I believe Cris will be revising his Flash Update Instructions. Until then (for the benefit of others) here is what I found needed to be done:
1) At step 4: Create the folder C:\eggtimer, and unzip the HEX & BAT files into it
2) At step 6: Switch to eggtimer folder [cd:\eggtimer]
3) At Step 10: Note that the BAT file name does not include the word "Update" as noted in the instruction file.
4) At Step 11: I can not under state how critical the timing needs to be between the time you press the Enter key to execute the BAT file and the RST jumper removal. In my case within 2 seconds. BTW, I never saw the text "avrdude: Send:0..." (see my screen image after the successful FW flash)
EF GPS Try05.jpg

Last edited:
The documentation on the web site has been updated, it should be accurate now. I'm guessing that very few people ever used the old one, since the previous software version (1.09e) was released two years ago...

The release notes for the added features w/o the GPS module sby, "A new second screen that adds the compass heading and distance to a saved waypoint has been added. This allows you to set the waypoint of your rocket sitting on the pad (by holding the button for a few seconds until it beeps), then tapping the button to toggle back and forth between the Latitude/Longitude screen and the Heading/Distance screen. "

I'm assuming the "button" referenced here is the small PB on the LCD PCB that currently is inside my LCD case. As such I am also assuming to use this feature, I will need to add an exterior PB switch that parallels the existing PB switch contacts on the PCB - correct?

Good question here and chastise me if it has been answered already: Is it possible to use the HC-06/05 module and the onboard GPS add-on for the LCD at the same time or is it going to be either or?
Would be dynamite to pipe the NMEA strings to an outboard tracking app and have the handheld "arrow" option running concurrently and as a live backup. Kurt

The release notes for the added features w/o the GPS module sby, "A new second screen that adds the compass heading and distance to a saved waypoint has been added. This allows you to set the waypoint of your rocket sitting on the pad (by holding the button for a few seconds until it beeps), then tapping the button to toggle back and forth between the Latitude/Longitude screen and the Heading/Distance screen. "

I'm assuming the "button" referenced here is the small PB on the LCD PCB that currently is inside my LCD case. As such I am also assuming to use this feature, I will need to add an exterior PB switch that parallels the existing PB switch contacts on the PCB - correct?

Yes... you'll want to add an external push button. When the LCD receiver first came out there wasn't a whole lot of need for one, but now that other functions are being added it's becoming a necessity. Most people add one anyway... if I can find one I like I may include that and ditch the little tactile switch.

Good question here and chastise me if it has been answered already: Is it possible to use the HC-06/05 module and the onboard GPS add-on for the LCD at the same time or is it going to be either or?
Would be dynamite to pipe the NMEA strings to an outboard tracking app and have the handheld "arrow" option running concurrently and as a live backup. Kurt

Yes, they're not on the same connector so they work simultaneously. That's exactly what we did in testing... we used Rocket Locator and the heading/arrow. Rocket Locator is North-up, so it's a lot easier to use the arrow on the LCD... you don't need to know which way North is.

Back