Show us your field box

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viciouspeanut

Reaction score
So as I settle back in to rocketry and pick up where I left off I find myself quickly amassing too many tools / supplies / various crap to fit in my one tool box I used to use. Looking for ideas on how you store your motor casings, prep gear, etc for transport and use at a launch site. So lets see it! :eyepop:

For LPR & MPR, you can get one of these at Home Depot for cheaper than you think. I prolly paid 21.00 on sale. Great fit for motors 2.75" & 3.75". Tubs are removable so other sizes can go in there also.

Motor Box Empty.jpg Motor Box.JPG Motor Box Adjusted.JPG

For all other stuff, this one box worked out pretty good. Prolly not the best option though.

KOBALT Tool Box.jpg

So as I settle back in to rocketry and pick up where I left off I find myself quickly amassing too many tools / supplies / various crap to fit in my one tool box I used to use. Looking for ideas on how you store your motor casings, prep gear, etc for transport and use at a launch site. So lets see it! :eyepop:

I love my Craftsman box. Keeps everything very organized. And motors and other equipment is kept in a Plano box I picked at a yard sale. And then a storage tote or two. I always over pack.
238765137c321d666b3df0186ea1a082.jpg
8af23acc44b056d340be4950c758279b.jpg
9fedac81e5090316321add01fa6b0fc0.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Show us your field box
Box? Singular? How the heck can you do with just one?

I have a larger one for pyro type stuff, wadding, bp motors, adhesives, and other odds and ends type things.
A smaller one for "desktop" tools: Exacto knives, box cutter, straight edge, sandpaper (actually in all my boxes), pencils, pens, scale, calipers, tape...stuff like that.
Another smallish box for hand tools: Wrenches, ratchet and sockets, screwdrivers, a couple saws and so on.
Then of course a few smallish stackable totes for motor hardware, recovery gear...seems like another one or two.

2006 Ford Freestar. (Mobile Hangar Unit No. 6) Most of the rockets, motors, tools, tent, popup, sleeping bags, stove, cooler, water, beer and food will fit. And a 30 foot flag pole.....

I just use the default explosive marked cardboard boxes the reloads ship in. Eliminates problem of running out a boxes. Order new motor, have new box!

My question too!

I have a large tackle box as a range box, a tool box, a motor case tote, 3 ammo cans and a tool box for reloads, another ammo can for igniters, a box for parachutes, adapters, and other misc items, and that doesn't count all the other stuff that gets shoved into the car where it will fit. Add the ground cover blanket, table, and food coolers, it's a production getting to a launch. I don't even bother bring a chair because I never seem to have time to sit down.

Yeah, I use an old wooden tackle box from my Dad, a cheap plastic one from Home Depot, an ammo box and one of those large plastic storage bins for the overflow. I also have a small fishing box and a long cardboard box (to hold the rockets) for lpr launches. I went to those after one time when we weren't allowed to drive to the launch site and drop our stuff off. I usually bring more but often the rest is left in the car for emergencies.

+1

It would be nice to have an integrated "system" that stored everything, but that's not how it worked out for me. I started with the kids and low power rockets. A plastic toolbox with a lift-out tray was about all we needed. Then added a plano box to hold low power motors and igniters. Then added some of those disposable food storage containers to hold single-use mid-power motors. Then added another plastic toolbox for repair supplies and overflow from the first plastic toolbox. Then added a rolling Stanley toolbox: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_...ley+fatmax&ie=UTF8&qid=1513629574&rnid=468240 Then added two or three more plano boxes for various items. Then added an ammo can to hold shorter high power motors, plus other energetics that would fit. Then added a set of organizer tray/boxes that were on sale at Home Depot to hold the miscellaneous hardware like screws, nuts, washers, quick links, rail buttons, etc. Then was drooling over a much larger rolling toolbox set at Home Depot that might have replaced (or at least carried) the smaller organizers, but passed when I realized I could get an L850 for what the toolbox would cost...

Back