MDRA ESL 231

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
MDRA will be holding ESL 231 at the Sod farm this weekend. Looks like the weather should cooperate although there will be some clouds around.

I'm planning to test a few more sparky motors, I like the look I have just trying to get the chamber pressure up without using super small nozzles.

Who's coming out and what do you plan to fly?

See you at the Field, Scott

Hopefully we'll have some news about moving back to Higgs Farm for the November Launch.

I’m planning on returning there finally after getting my L1 at LDRS. I am just finishing up a Loc Vulcanite and an Athena 3. They should be good for their maiden flights there.

I'll be there Sunday. I just finished my L3 cert rocket that I've been working on for 8 months (including a 2 month paint job) so I may bring it along for display only. Cert flight will be when we get back to Higgs.

I'll be there Saturday. My usual, MAC Scorpion and MC Formula 75, on a CTI I212-SS and Loki I316-SF respectively. Kids will be bringing a fleet of Estes ARF, plus our two Higgs Farm rockets on D12-5.

I'm bringing the Fronkenseen Hat, the Fett Boy, a small cluster tetrahedron and couple of 3/4FNC.

Won't be there this month but am planning on going to the launch next month where ever it ends up. Will be doing my first dual-deploy setup on an I599N with the rocket I plan to use for L2

Well the weather didn't end up being the best for flying but I got my sparky testing done. Was finally able to get the pressure up closer to where I want it without going to a really small nozzle.

Here's the 2 grain 54mm which worked out to be about an I-220

I-220 1.jpg I-220 2.jpg I-220 3.jpg

A 6 grain 54mm which came in around a K-545. Pressure exactly where I wanted it due to the length of the motor.

K550 1.jpg

Next step is to fly one and see if there's enough black smoke compared to all the sparks I'm getting.

Thanks for the great pictures Dennis!

Well the weather didn't end up being the best for flying but I got my sparky testing done. Was finally able to get the pressure up closer to where I want it without going to a really small nozzle.

Here's the 2 grain 54mm which worked out to be about an I-220

View attachment 330196 View attachment 330197 View attachment 330198

A 6 grain 54mm which came in around a K-545. Pressure exactly where I wanted it due to the length of the motor.

View attachment 330199

Next step is to fly one and see if there's enough black smoke compared to all the sparks I'm getting.

Thanks for the great pictures Dennis!

Tom's huge low and slow rockets and your sparky, noisy static tests are becoming my favorite events at MDRA. Besides my flights, of course :)

I got a couple of poor videos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95706082@N00/37650215086/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95706082@N00/23845942298/in/photostream/

Tom's flight:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95706082@N00/37666662702/in/photostream/

My whole album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95706082@N00/albums/72157687881643644

I'm jealous...
You guy's r havin too good of a time without me...
That's so cool Scott,,
Jiving out a home made propellent that way...
How do you tell what pressure was achieved inside the case ??

Teddy

How do you tell what pressure was achieved inside the case ??

Teddy

The forward closure is tapped to accept a pressure transducer. I also had a load cell but it didn't acquire data on 2 of the burns. The load cell and pressure transducer send data to a computer that you can use to try and characterize the propellant.

Hope to see you in November.
Scott

Tom's huge low and slow rockets and your sparky, noisy static tests are becoming my favorite events at MDRA. Besides my flights, of course :)

I'm trying my best to keep up with flights like Fronkenseen Hat and Fett Boy....

Fronkenseen was a perfect October launch flight!

The forward closure is tapped to accept a pressure transducer. I also had a load cell but it didn't acquire data on 2 of the burns. The load cell and pressure transducer send data to a computer that you can use to try and characterize the propellant.

Hope to see you in November.
Scott

Ohhh,, right,,,
I forgot that that was possible..
I was just thinking the case would have to be in a rack-- against a load cell...
Very cool Scott...
John has been telling me a bit...
Very cool man...
I keep promising myself I'm going to take Andy C up on his gracious invitation
to go to his house and do a bit of learning...
Never seems to be enough time, or the right time...

Tomorrow isn't promised...
I should stop procrastinating and go...

Teddy

Back