My First Public Build :-)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 coats are applied now 24hr to dry
3 attachments
1 high teck paint booth
2 first coat of 3
3 kitty wants to play ,
Kitty has 1 green eye and 1 blue eye :)

Bobby

high tech paint booth.jpg

1st coat of 3.jpg

kitty wants to play.jpg

Well I finally got one of the checkerboard roll patterned Black Brants painted.
I had to do some touch ups on on the edges.

Now I gotta do some marking and masking on the second Black Brant that will have
the roll pattern and fin checkerboard.

Bobby

IMG-20180121-01082.jpg

IMG-20180121-01083.jpg

IMG-20180121-01084.jpg

The decals have been applied and are in the drying/setting process.
Next I will install the 2 launch lugs then apply 2 coats of clear coat.
Then the shock chord and parachute attached and installed .

IMG-20180123-01086.jpg

IMG-20180123-01087.jpg

IMG-20180123-01088.jpg

IMG-20180123-01089.jpg

IMG-20180123-01090.jpg

IMG-20180123-01091.jpg

IMG-20180123-01092.jpg

IMG-20180123-01093.jpg

IMG-20180123-01094.jpg

Very Sexy!!!

Say, where did you find your dimensions from? I'd love to see a dimensional drawing of the 4 finned version of the BBII

K'Tesh

I got the fin pattern from an National Research Council Report .
The regular short payload section with nosecone is the normal nc/ps on the Estes version
The Longer payload section with nosecone came from the 2 original NRC reports I acquired.
The longer nc/ps is just like the normal short version with a parachute recovery section and a separation section to
disconnect the payload from the igniter housing / motor.

Black Brant vehicle numbers AAA-II-101 and AAA-II-102. The AAA-II-102 was flown first and there was trouble
with the first ever attempt and parachute recovery. AAA-II-101 was supposed to be an identical flight but since
there was a problem with recovery on AAA-II-102 the AAA-II-101 was converted back to no parachute recovery

attached is a view of the fin stats and measurements for both AAA-II-101 and AAA-II-102 vehicles.
There was an article in a magazine called Space Modeler spring 1982 volume 1.2 that showed a Flight Systems Black Brant being
converted to the 4 fin version

There are 4 fin Black Brants that use the short payload section and some that use the long payload section with parachute section

Very Sexy!!!

Say, where did you find your dimensions from? I'd love to see a dimensional drawing of the 4 finned version of the BBII

101  and  102.jpg

Well I have one plane white Black Brant Rocket left
I will start on masking the roll patterns the next day or so.

Before I start with the masking I wanted to ask everyone If they wanted to see in DETAIL
how I apply the tape to get good corner edges or will just a general description be fine ?

Bobby

white # 2.jpg

here is a photo and open rocket file for the Black Brant Rocket that has the B&W roll pattern and parachute recovery section.

I cant upload the open rocket file as the file limit is 195.3K and my file is 261.3K

It must be to big as I added the roll pattern and fin pattern in with the file

If you look close the bottom launch lug is painted black so it blends in with the black paint section
and the forward launch lug is painted white to blend in with the white paint section

parachute recovery.jpg

here is a photo and open rocket file for the Black Brant Rocket that has the B&W roll pattern and NO parachute recovery section.

This open rocket file is to big as it is 256.1Kb of the allowed 195.3Kb

It must be to big as I added the roll pattern and fin pattern in with the file

If you look close the bottom launch lug is painted black so it blends in with the black paint section
and the forward launch lug is painted white to blend in with the white paint section

Blac brant no parachute.jpg

Sorry for the delay in replying! Thanks for the drawings, and the .ork files!

Pointy Side Up!

Got some time to get the roll pattern done on the airframe of my 2nd Black Brant in a 4 Black Brant Build

Now for the checker board pattern on the fins.

NOTE when ever applying roll patterns on fins and airframe have a photo of the prototype close
at hand so you can check your progress and see the masking tape is where it is supposed to be !

It is a lot easier to remove tape and reapply than to sand and reapply paint :facepalm:LOL

X 2a.jpg

X 2b.jpg

You're really good at that. And you have way more patience than I do.

You're really good at that. And you have way more patience than I do.

It is not all that hard to do. It does not half to be done all at one time .
When I first started masking roll patterns I would do one square at a time .
Then come back later and do more squares. As you do more it will get easy

Also start with large squares like a ones on a 2 inch airframe and then progress
to smaller air frames.

Bobby

I finally got a chance to draw the checker board pattern on the fins for the 2nd Black Brant .
Hopefully I will get a chance to apply the tape masking this week

Bobby

fin roll pattern.jpg

The next Black Brant 2 I will build I will be using a different method of applying the fin fillets .
The airframe will have internal fin fillets instead of external fin fillets

The centering ring will be cut into 8 sections. Only 4 of the 8 sections will be used .
Each 1/8th section will be placed between the fins and will be the thickness of 1 centering ring
from the end of the airframe . This will allow for a complete uncut centering ring to be
placed between the cut centering ring and the end of the airframe.

The 4 gaps will allow internal fillets to be applied and then a complete centering ring added to the
end of the airframe .

I will let you know how my method turns out .

Bobby

fillet 1.jpg

fillet 2.jpg

Here is a better diagram on what I will be trying with the internal fin fillets.
This should result in a clean fin/airframe joint on the outside

Forgot to add that a section of masking tape will be placed on the outside
of the fin joint to stop glue from seeping through the joint as the glue dries

two fillets.jpg

Back