Tripoli vs NAR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrace

Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently NAR L2 but I am coming up for renewal and trying to decide if it would be better to switch to Tripoli and wanted some opinions from members of both. I currently fly pretty much high power and my one concern is I am planning a L3 project for this winter and the NAR requirement for individual switches for all 4 deployment charges would be a real pain on a 4" avionics bay and in my opinion mostly just add 4 more places for failures without much of a realistic safety consern. Maybe on a really large rocket. At any rate just wanted to here about people's experiences with both.
Thanks
Gary

Join both. Doesn't cost a whole lot, and keeps rocketry well supported. Join one of each club, buy from your local vendors.

NAR is for folks who want to low power; kids and folks who dont have deep pockets lol

TRA is for high power mainly.

Both are good. I was both for 4-5 years then figured hey everything I want to do I can do in TRA.

You simply need to be able disconnect the power source to your deployment system. The schematic in the sample is just that a sample, not a directive. Talk to an L3CC, he/she will ultimately what will be required in your case to satisfy that requirement.

Ultimately the choice of NAR or TRA depends on the folks you will fly with. If you join TRA but there are no TRA TAP's or anyone else that can certify you where you will fly you will have an issue. Likewise if your are NAR and there are no L3CC's around, you will not be able to certify. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Sorry to take up people's time with information that's already been discussed but my search skills on this forum aren't very good. When I attempt to search for a phrase that's has a couple of words to narrow it down I get every post where those words show up anywhere so sometimes it's just too lengthy to go through them all. The L3 requirements I downloaded just came of NAR web page so one would assume it is latest information

Sorry to take up people's time with information that's already been discussed but my search skills on this forum aren't very good. When I attempt to search for a phrase that's has a couple of words to narrow it down I get every post where those words show up anywhere so sometimes it's just too lengthy to go through them all. The L3 requirements I downloaded just came of NAR web page so one would assume it is latest information

No worries. Search on this forum is not very good.....

Hi all, I am currently NAR L2 but I am coming up for renewal and trying to decide if it would be better to switch to Tripoli and wanted some opinions from members of both. I currently fly pretty much high power and my one concern is I am planning a L3 project for this winter and the NAR requirement for individual switches for all 4 deployment charges would be a real pain on a 4" avionics bay and in my opinion mostly just add 4 more places for failures without much of a realistic safety consern. Maybe on a really large rocket. At any rate just wanted to here about people's experiences with both.
Thanks
Gary

From what I just downloaded from NAR para 2.4 it is and the sample schematics show 6 switches 4 pyro 2 alt

If this is who I think it is are you coming to the Tri-Cities Rocketeers launch next weekend? As for the switch requirements NAR has dropped the multiple switch requirements, my L3 was done with ONE switch per altimeter (Missleworks RRC3 and a Eggtimer Quark) by using one leg of battery lead and putting the switch inline, by doing so power was removed from the recovery electronics and firing system. FYI Kent Newman is most likely to be your NAR L3CC or TRA TAP (I believe he functions as both), Kent approved the electronics schematic/configuration once I was able to document through the manufacturers that it was not possible for the electronics to fire without the single switch on each being closed. If you come to the launch this weekend look me up, we have both TRA and NAR L3 certified flyers in our club, and if you are planning on doing the L3 next year we may be able to fly M motors by next spring (we have the pads, but we need the launch controller GSE for the away cell). FYI Kent was great to work with, be prepared for him to ask around about your skills if you don't know him personally.

Here's my L3 build thread with schematic for the electronics and switches. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...build-thread-for-rharshberger&highlight=level
Schematic is on Page 4 Post#110.

Last edited:
Garrace,
You should definitely join Tripoli. I might be biased.
Steve

p.s. Seriously, RHarshberger gave you great advice. There may be reasons why one organization would appeal more to you at any given time, but switches on your L3 rocket is not one of them. If you want to fly larger than an O motor, Tripoli is the only way. If you someday want to make your own motors or travel overseas and fly high power with a related club, Tripoli is the way.
The differences are very minimal though and the higher you go the more members you meet with dual membership. I’m proud to belong to both.

Steve Shannon

I joined NAR a few months ago when I BAR'd because they always seemed like the "trusted old vanguard". Now that I want more options regarding launch sites, rules, and HPR, I plan to join TRA as well. I expect that within a year or two a front-runner will emerge, but as long as I can see a benefit from each one I will probably remain a member of both of them. At the end of the day both advocate for rocket enthusiasts regardless of the details. Maximum flexibility seems to come from being a member of both. Compared to HPR costs for rockets, motors, etc. the membership fees seem trivial.

If you L3 in one - the other will honor that and send you another L3 card.
Join both - Certify either, they both want rocketeers

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

As has been stated join both. For me a have been a NAR member but I joined Tripoli because the club and taps are closer than any NAR L3cc in my area. This will make getting my L3 more convenient plus I like support both orgs.

Honestly, if you're doing level 3 you should have money to be in both. But it's really a matter of who's closer to you unless you want to mix your own motors.

Actually my concern was with L3 program is to go with that one fit me best. And money is a consern just because I am thinking about a L3 project it is a modest one (modifying a 4" AGM 58 that I already have with a new boaster section 2" longer and 75mm motor mount) and using Aerotech M1350 single use. I am retired with an ex wife so yes money is always a concern. Lol

The only meaningful difference between NAR and TRA is that TRA allows research motors. NAR allows commercial only. However, for a cert flight, both only allow commercial. NAR requires single L3CC; TRA requires two TAPs. Beyond that, it is semantics.

There are subtle differences in insurance coverage as well. Since neither organization makes the wording of the actual policy public those differences are not clear.

For example, based on what is on each organizations insurance FAQs it can be interpreted that NAR insurance goes with you anywhere you launch as long as you follow the NAR safety code.
The TRA wording seems to imply you are only covered by TRA insurance if you are participating in TRA events. So a TRA member at a NAR launch may not be covered by TRA insurance (as interpreted by the FAQ). Whereas a NAR member is covered by NAR insurance at a TRA launch.

Perhaps our fine TRA President Steve can clarify?

Me, I take no chances and I am a member of both fine organizations.

If you stop paying TRA you lose your certs and have to re-certify when you rejoin. This sucks if you duck out of the hobby for a few years for whatever reason. NAR allows you to keep your certs.

TRA allows large motors and EX, NAR does not.

There are subtle differences in insurance coverage as well. Since neither organization makes the wording of the actual policy public those differences are not clear.

For example, based on what is on each organizations insurance FAQs it can be interpreted that NAR insurance goes with you anywhere you launch as long as you follow the NAR safety code.
The TRA wording seems to imply you are only covered by TRA insurance if you are participating in TRA events. So a TRA member at a NAR launch may not be covered by TRA insurance (as interpreted by the FAQ). Whereas a NAR member is covered by NAR insurance at a TRA launch.

John,
That’s a good question. I think the confusion comes about from the differences between member insurance and site insurance, but because I’m still learning I’m going to ask Deb Koloms, as Chairperson of our Insurance Committee, to give us a better answer.
I started to answer what I think/hope, but realized that a slower accurate answer is much better than a quick answer that might be wrong.
Thanks for helping with my “Presidency for Dummies” book. [emoji848]
Steve

Steve Shannon

Actually my concern was with L3 program is to go with that one fit me best.

Since we don't know You, we can't possibly answer that question with any level of confidence.
Since You don't know us, You should not trust anything we opine.
:)

And money is a consern just because I am thinking about a L3 project it is a modest one (modifying a 4" AGM 58 that I already have with a new boaster section 2" longer and 75mm motor mount) and using Aerotech M1350 single use. I am retired with an ex wife so yes money is always a concern. Lol

If money is so tight that joining another club is a concern, you may wish to consider delaying your L3 project until budget constraints are lifted. "L3 project" and "budget" are two phrases that don't belong in the same paragraph.

Other than that, come out to both club's launch days, and see where you feel more at home.
The answer may have more to do with the local members and participation than national umbrella orgs!

a

Deb Koloms is our Insurance Committee Chair. She answered right away and said that a Tripoli member has coverage at a NAR launch as long as that member doesn’t violate Tripoli Safety Codes.

Steve Shannon

Joining both NAR and TRA helps promote all aspects of the hobby, which is a good thing. Plenty of teens that start out in TARC end up becoming HPR certified, and lots of parents that help out their kids in youth rocketry events catch the bug and end up in HPR too.

As far as NAR vs Tripoli L3 certs, they both share the same philosophy: the deployment power must be disabled until you're ready to fly. Whether you can do this by turning off power to the altimeter, or disconnecting the charges, or disconnecting a separate deployment power source is up to your TAP. NAR specifies that it must be a physical disconnection; TRA recently allowed electronic switches (such as an Eggtimer WiFi Switch or a Featherweight Magnetic Switch) for this purpose, on approval from your TAPs. That's no different than any other part of your L3 build... your TAPs have to sign off on your build's compliance with the cert regs.

Back