How to launch a Titan II ICBM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
[video=youtube;knDIENvBTgw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knDIENvBTgw[/video]

[video=youtube;m6MOaECL6FM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6MOaECL6FM[/video]

If you visit the Titan Museum in Tucson, they will give you the quick how-to :D

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

If you visit the Titan Museum in Tucson, they will give you the quick how-to :D

I'm glad to see this posted, I just took one of my sons there last year, and am looking to bring the whole family...quite an important lesson in history, and am glad we have such a resource in town! It's incredibly eerie, especially with all the additional stories the tour guides throw in...I left with a new sense of perspective and appreciation for diplomacy!

I'm glad to see this posted, I just took one of my sons there last year, and am looking to bring the whole family...quite an important lesson in history, and am glad we have such a resource in town! It's incredibly eerie, especially with all the additional stories the tour guides throw in...I left with a new sense of perspective and appreciation for diplomacy!

Hey I grew up in Tucson (Sabino HS class of 75)...yeah I remember when I was little, my Dad built houses in/around Sonoita. I got to to go with him some days, and we passed by a Titan silo. After Dad explained to me what it was, I always had a mixture of anticipation/dread, wondering if a missile was going to blast off as we drove by! It would have been cool but scary! Of course in school we did "duck and cover" drills.

My dad babysat a Titan II for a while at Tucson while I was a wee lad. (ca. 1965) A few years ago he told me that there was a location behind the equipment panels where a single person could launch the missile.

A pretty good reason to have the two man rule.

Back