Who's your hero????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
11d428358782b1b46a014ab1435831d9--funny-things-funny-stuff.jpg

ET is only an avatar for the real hero:

14754451357_4b88435c8f_b.jpg

If I had to list all the people I have admired at some point for one reason or another, we would be here all day.

There are people that do good stuff. Great stuff. Even world-changing stuff.

That should be noted and appreciated. That said most of these people have also done questionable or awful things that temper their impact.

At the end of the day we shouldn't aspire to be like someone else. We should all just aspire to do good, be the best we can be, help people, not be a dick, and try to be a hero to others and keep the train rolling.

Just try to do more good than harm and we'll all be okay.

Hero? My father was (and still is) my only true hero. He taught me hunting, fishing, camping, survival skills and how to use my head as well as my hands. It was hard growing up as he was always gone, flying for USAF during the cold war as a B-47 bomber pilot. A lot of you don't know but there were times we had planes in the air circling on our side of the North Pole armed and ready to receive go codes for targets in Russia 24/7. A lot of what he did he could never talk about, but we bonded in his down time with models (his sailing ships are in collections on the East Coast). When i spazzed out at the hobby shop when the first rocket kits came out (seems like very late 50's, early 60's), he built the first one and supervised my next so I could do them myself. He gave me the gift of patience, the love of reading and the independence to make my own mistakes and learn from them (and I made plenty-believe me!). I had an excellent childhood, which I am still enjoying to this day. I can hardly wait for the second one to begin! Thanks, Dad! I hope they gave you Mach 1 wings in heaven...

JR Bob Dobbs is my hero. He offers eternal salvation for only $99.95. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
3724399648_7131da1c85_b.jpg

Although, as a Dudeist Priest, I would be remiss if I didn't mention The Dude.
The-Big-Lebowski-White-Russian.jpeg

JR Bob Dobbs is my hero.

A friend of mine once gave me a card from the church of the subgenius that said I was an official pope and authorized by the church. I have since lost that card, so I guess i've lost my authority.

A friend of mine once gave me a card from the church of the subgenius that said I was an official pope and authorized by the church. I have since lost that card, so I guess i've lost my authority.
I hereby reinstate your title as pope of the Church of the Subgenius. We've got several of them! Welcome back to the fold, dear brother in slack. I look forward to doing nothing with you.

So much to learn, grasshopper.

If it has to do with secularism, non-Christianity, wizardry, Scientology then I am not interested in learning. But thats just me. Others may bat the other direction.

Last edited:
If it has to do with secularism, non-Christianity, wizardry, Scientology then I am not interested in learning. But thats just me. Other may bat the other direction.

Always does.

You didn't really expect serious answers when you posted this thread did you? Besides, no one could go on after fyrwyrx's reply...by coincidence it got dusty in here while I was reading it, strangest coincidence.

Last edited:
If it has to do with secularism, non-Christianity, wizardry, Scientology then I am not interested in learning.

Why not? I understand you're probably not looking to join any of them, but understanding where other people are coming from can never be a bad thing.

and while we're here, do you have a moment to talk about Nicholas Cage?

nicolas-cage1.jpg

I caught this woman's show while channel surfing on vacation in the southern US a few years ago. Scared the be-jeezus outta the wife & I..

https://joycemeyer.org/

same with that Joel guy.. (Reminded me of an Amway conference I got suckered into attending.. food was good though..)

Always does.

You didn't really expect serious answers when you posted this thread did you? Besides, no one could go on after fyrwyrx's reply...by coincidence it got dusty in here while I was reading it, strangest coincidence.

I was being serious. But everyone is different and have different people they call a hero. But I was trying to be serious. I am serious on who my hero is.

For clarity's sake, the references to Master Po and Grasshopper refer to a 1970s TV show called "Kung Fu." It was about a Buddhist monk from China wandering the western USA in the late nineteenth century, looking for his American father. In each week's episode, he would get caught up in some situation that would require him to use his mastery of kung fu to save the day. His back story is told in flashbacks to when he was a young boy being trained by the Shao Lin monks in a Buddhist monastery. One of his teachers, Master Po, was blind, and always refereed to the boy as "Grasshopper."

If it has to do with secularism, non-Christianity, wizardry, Scientology then I am not interested in learning. But thats just me. Others may bat the other direction.

Then why do you insist on throwing your religious beliefs all over a Rocketry forum all the time? You think anyone here cares two whits about your beliefs? Do you think you're evangelizing the masses or something? Do you think that anyone else is "interested in learning" that Jesus is your hero? Seriously?
Asking for a friend...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back