Launching from a table

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
Question:

I'm going to do a launch for my kids' school. When I've done "demo launches" like this before (using the low end of LPR, A and B motors mostly), I've launched with an Estes Porta-Pad sitting on a folding table. It's nice because it lifts the rocket up so the kids can see it better. Obviously I wouldn't send up a MPR or HPR rocket from a folding table, but considering the max thrust on an Estes 18mm C motor is ~15 newtons, I don't think it would be an issue. Two questions:
1. Is this 100% compliant with the NAR safety code? It seems like it should be; even the code says that the launcher should be "placed" so that the top of the rod is above eye level. "Placed", to me, sounds like you could put it on something.
2. As long as the table is on solid ground and not wobbly, can anyone think of an issue with this?

(Option B is using a sawhorse, which I've seen many LPR club launches do; that would just mean, y'know, getting a sawhorse)

Another option: put an Odd'l Adeptor on a camera tripod. Sturdy, easy, and you almost definitely know someone with a tripod if you don't have one.

I dont see an issue with a table, its no different than a saw horse, just make sure the launcher is secured.

Table is fine, we use a table at our classics/vintage launch where we use vintage launch pads to fly from.

I dont see an issue with a table, its no different than a saw horse, just make sure the launcher is secured.

Yeah, there's your key. A sudden gust of wind could blow them off the table, so some sand bags or bricks or something would be good. Also, consider some fire protection under the pads if you don't want black stains all over it afterwards.

Yeah, there's your key. A sudden gust of wind could blow them off the table, so some sand bags or bricks or something would be good. Also, consider some fire protection under the pads if you don't want black stains all over it afterwards.

Good call, thanks. And this is my rocketry prep table so blastmarks just give it street cred ;)

As Ryan (Flyfalcons) noted above, we use a table for our Classics launch to get the old launchers up off the ground. This year I used two tables. I also added this year some of that non-skid shelf liner stuff so that the plastic tripod pads (Porta Pads and Centuri Power Tower) didn’t slide around so easily. If it were breezy the idea of way to fasten the pads down to the table would make some sense.

5F272C68-A39C-4F9B-AC59-B7789F1544FC.jpg

Another option: put an Odd'l Adeptor on a camera tripod. Sturdy, easy, and you almost definitely know someone with a tripod if you don't have one.

Plus 1 on the adeptor.
Actually I think most dangerous part of Low power rocketry is these small ground-based launch pad where you can put your eye out if you lean over it and forget to put the cover on the launch rod. Putting on a table gets it above Eye level . The Adeptor adapter actually is very nice as it gets above Eye level but you can use the tripod swivel to drop the rod down to put your Rocket on it and then swivel it back up and whatever Angle you like.

Back