My Mega Magg 98mm Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len B

Old Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a LOC Mega Magg kit directly from LOC. I emailed a few questions and was able to get a couple very small things changed.
1) 98mm MMT instead of 54mm.
2) No parachute or recovery harness as I am not sure what I will require. Simulations only go so far when planning.
3) 3 centering rings instead of the normal 2.
4) I could have cut the fin tabs down from standard but they did it for me. The depth is appropriate for the change in MMT. Thank you LOC!
5) No launch lugs buttons as I have my own.
They did provide some special packing material to protect the nose cone. Photos to come.

LOC is very easy to deal with for such orders. I highly recommend contacting them.

My plan is to make this quite sturdy. I have a couple of 98mm K motors I'd like to use to fly this baby.
I'd like to be able to fly it on a CTI L610 as well. I'll see how it goes.

MegaMagg.jpg

Last edited:
Would an Aerotech O5040X fit in it ;)

Loc is a great company and they make great kits, got my L1 on them and will always want more of their kits.

Subscribed. This kit is on my must have list.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

As far as the motor goes, the difficulty here is to build it strong enough for the K and possibly L motors I want to use, but not to go too heavy so I need more grunt. Not that more grunt isn't fun.
I do have a motor that would tear apart any version of this I can think of building. (CTI L3150 VMax) I can't see going that route. Worst case is that I would fly it on the K1620 if I make it too heavy.
Anyway, lots of thought and planning going into this. I did start the building by peeling the outer layer off the MMT and the body tube. I need the CF to really bond with this.
Reinforcing the nose cone will be a challenge. I've done it before but never with a huge cone like this one. Previously, I've roughed up the inside and lined it with CF. Then, I blow up a balloon inside to make it stay while it cures. Umm. This one will be interesting.

No photos of the peeling. Too boring. But for fun here is the thrust curve of the L-3150 Vmax that I will NOT be stuffing in this rocket.:surprised:
L3150Vmax.png

That should make for a fun rocket!

I imagine you can get by without reinforcement in the nose cone, it doesn't seem like the rocket will fly fast enough for aerodynamic heating to soften it much.

That should make for a fun rocket!

I imagine you can get by without reinforcement in the nose cone, it doesn't seem like the rocket will fly fast enough for aerodynamic heating to soften it much.

You make a good point. This cone is really stiff. The previous one I added CF to was an Estes Big Daddy cone that's on a 54mm Big Daddy. That cone needed to be reinforced. (No, I haven't flown it yet) :flyingpig:
Thanks for giving me that to consider. I'll be stiffening it anyway with some kind of nose weight attachment and I will likely put the electronics bay in the nose.
I really like the A.P.E. kit and I happen to have one already. https://ape-rc.com/#!/Head-End-Alti...se-Cones-Plywood/p/56354898/category=11909535
I just need to work out how I incorporate that with a good solid nose weight mounting system. This sucker will need some nose weight.

Len
Why not build it and fly it as it was meet to be? A big slow flying rocket on smaller motors. You can always purchase a 8" Mad Cow Cowabunga to go crazy with and also a lot less modifications. To each his own.

Len
Why not build it and fly it as it was meet to be? A big slow flying rocket on smaller motors. You can always purchase a 8" Mad Cow Cowabunga to go crazy with and also a lot less modifications. To each his own.

Well, then it wouldn't be my 98mm Mega Magg. It was custom ordered to be flown this way. That is the way I meant it to be. I already fly a Minnie Magg. Indeed, to each his own.
Part of the challenge with this one is to take it outside of the normal parameters. Sure, I can buy a kit and slap it together. I actually do a lot of that and want to do this. Plus, I have 2 AT coffee can K motors.
My goal is to keep the build light enough to fly this on the K458. I think we will still get "somewhat low and somewhat slow" out of that.
Cheers!

View attachment Mega98K458.pdf

Last edited:
I was stalled on this for the longest time. Not because of the centering ring issue. You guys gave me good suggestions about that. I wanted to use an A.P.E. nose cone deployment kit that I have. I couldn't find it.
Yesterday, I located it along with one for 5.38 inch cones. Our place is being painted next week so no building right now but I intend to get on this very soon. As for the centering ring concern, I am using a different retention system now that won't require any modification.

How did I miss this?!
LOC coozies?

I modded my Madcow Tembo to fly on 54mm soda can motors. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. :wink:

Back