38mm Level 2 Minimum Diameter Build Thread - "The Spanish Inquisition"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It flew for the first time yesterday, once on a H268R and once on an I200W. Both flights were significantly higher than expected. My Super Flying Umbrella only hit 250-300ft and the Spanish Inquisition has a similar frontal surface area so I was expecting about the same, but it actually hit about 700-800 feet on both the I200W and H268R, and I'm not too sure why it went so much higher than I expected. If any one has an idea let me know, both the umbrella and this rocket a frontal surface area of about 120 square inches.

Here ae a couple pics of the I200W flight:
View attachment 330499

I didn't take any during the H268R flight since it was my first large redline and pictures don't do them justice so I just paid attention fully...

A circle is a much friendlier flow shape than a pointy polyhedron with struts and air pockets.

I'll let that stand until someone comes up with one better.

A circle is a much friendlier flow shape than a pointy polyhedron with struts and air pockets.

I'll let that stand until someone comes up with one better.
Since they're both basically plates I wouldn't think there would be too much difference... I'm not an aerodynamics expert though, so I could be totally wrong.

I still think it's the extra weight of the fore tube that makes it fly higher but again I could be wrong.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Back