Rocketry supplies in San Jose CA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snrkl

Reaction score
Given I usually pay through the nose for stuff to be shipped from the US I figured I might try to drop in somewhere local while in San Jose CA next week on a work trip.

Can anyone who's local suggest a hobby store for rocketry supplies etc with a good selection and (hopefully) good discounts / bargains in the San Jose CA area?

I have tried looking online but it's hard to assess whether the places I'm seeing are any good. I don't know which stores / shop chains are worthwhile...

I don't know about rocketry, but for electronics Fry's will blow your mind. Think our Dick Smith Electronics like it used to be, but on steroids. Worth a visit. I went to the one in San Jose.
www.frys.com

yeah, I've done fry's... a lot...

I need to stay out of electronics places, lest I spend my rocketry budget (and much more!) on crap I *really* don't need... :p

I gather from your past posts I found on your profile you are mostly low-midpowere, so these are ones I found for you.

Michael's craft stores....national chain. Every day coupon good for 1 item at 40-50% off.

Some store have great Estes selection of kits-motors, area dependent, I would call first when arrive San Jose.
Coupon can be downloaded to phone or printed ahead. You can use several , just buy, go back use another etc. Same time...same day. we do it all the time, ask for clearance table location, sometimes rockets marked down to 4-10.00 then deduct 40% coupon!!!
https://www.michaels.com/on/demandw...talcode=&city=&state=&tel=912-267-5601&email=

https://www.michaels.com/store-locator

Same for hobby lobby;

https://www.hobbylobby.com/store-fi...SRFToken=f0401674-00ae-467d-9bfa-9b12b8c2f050

Shame you didn't think ahead, you could have ordered ahead, had delivered to your destination to pick up when you arrived [hotel or where you stay] any of below.

Estes super sale..... I bought bundle #7 Free ship over 39.00 Estes only ships, no store to visit.

https://www.estesrockets.com/clearance/

These guys are everyday 40-50% off retail:
https://bellevillehobby.com/rockets
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/explorer.htm

Once again ship to your destination...maybe next time.. above take anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks depending on what's ordered.

I have purchased from all above over several years and all are AAA +++

Last edited:
What kind of supplies are you looking for? Kits & parts? Wouldn't it be problematic to get engines/motors, igniters, and certain chemicals onto flights?
If kits, the selection is slim and the prices are high. Mail order is definitely the way to go.

Fry's (San Jose, Sunnyvale, Campbell, etc), as people have mentioned, does have a tiny selection of kits & motors, and the best part is that they price match (online included).

Hobby Lobby is quite a bit further south in Morgan Hill. Use the 40% coupon as blackjack2564 suggested. Kits, motors, wood, glues, paint, etc. though I haven't visited in a long time.

I haven't been to these in a while so things may have changed. The kits are pricey and the selections are/were small so I don't think any of these are worth the trip except for possibly the first, so...
  • HobbyTown in Sunnyvale has rocketry stuff. Expensive, full hobby store w/a small-mid sized kit selection, motors, building supplies, etc.
  • Talbot's Toys in San Mateo is way north (mid-peninsula). Expensive, full hobby/toy store w/a tiny kit selection. If interested, ask for an Estes catalog (free) if available.
  • Hobby Co of San Francisco is 40+ miles north. Expensive, full hobby/toy store w/tiny kit selection. Likewise on the Estes catalogs.
Some Michael's and ToysRUs used to carry kits and motors, but I haven't seen them sold in years. You can definitely pick up building supplies at Michael's though (balsa wood, plywood, dowels, glues, cements, paints, etc). Again, use a 40% coupon per blackjack2564.

If anyone has more to add, I'd be interested. Good luck and happy hunting! :)

ps - If packing liquids in your check-in, don't forget to bag them in plastic in case the pressure differential causes them to ooze.

What kind of supplies are you looking for? Kits & parts? Wouldn't it be problematic to get engines/motors, igniters, and certain chemicals onto flights?
If kits, the selection is slim and the prices are high. Mail order is definitely the way to go.

Fry's (San Jose, Sunnyvale, Campbell, etc), as people have mentioned, does have a tiny selection of kits & motors, and the best part is that they price match (online included).

Hobby Lobby is quite a bit further south in Morgan Hill. Use the 40% coupon as blackjack2564 suggested. Kits, motors, wood, glues, paint, etc. though I haven't visited in a long time.

I haven't been to these in a while so things may have changed. The kits are pricey and the selections are/were small so I don't think any of these are worth the trip except for possibly the first, so...
  • HobbyTown in Sunnyvale has rocketry stuff. Expensive, full hobby store w/a small-mid sized kit selection, motors, building supplies, etc.
  • Talbot's Toys in San Mateo is way north (mid-peninsula). Expensive, full hobby/toy store w/a tiny kit selection. If interested, ask for an Estes catalog (free) if available.
  • Hobby Co of San Francisco is 40+ miles north. Expensive, full hobby/toy store w/tiny kit selection. Likewise on the Estes catalogs.
Some Michael's and ToysRUs used to carry kits and motors, but I haven't seen them sold in years. You can definitely pick up building supplies at Michael's though (balsa wood, plywood, dowels, glues, cements, paints, etc). Again, use a 40% coupon per blackjack2564.

If anyone has more to add, I'd be interested. Good luck and happy hunting! :)

ps - If packing liquids in your check-in, don't forget to bag them in plastic in case the pressure differential causes them to ooze.

Thanks for this - much appreciated... this looks like the kind of local know how I was looking for.

Definitely wasn't planing on purchasing / packing any pyro elements - it was mostly my desire to try to pick up some much cheaper kits then we get here...

From online stock levels shown at some of those places, it seems I might have to look at ordering ahead and shipping to a colleague ahead of time on my next trip... travel windows at work have been unpredictable for the last 12 months while we were being acquired, hopefully the cadence will improve and in the future I can shop and ship sales to a colleague and bring home extra carry on the next trip...

If you are looking for mid or high power kits, take a look at Bay Area Rocketry. He is the local vendor for launches, and is located in Castro Valley. Give Mike a call, he's great to talk to.

if its next week, 7-10 days from now, you should have plenty of time to get something shipped from most online retailers. if its this week, 3-5 days you would be cutting it close. probably too close

+1 for bay area rocketry. I bet if you call Mike he will set you up. Mike is the vendor who travels to most of the launches near San Jose (and further) for on site sales. Outstanding support!. from Estes to level 3.

Back