N1 Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I contacted the seller. Despite the ebay indicator that it will arrive within a few days, the first batch will not ship until 12/5.
The seller indicated he has 50 kits in the pipeline for the first set of orders, more will follow.

Only other indicators is the seller has been a member of ebay since 2000 and he has 100% positive feedback...

Can't vouch for the seller or legitimacy of the item, but I do recognize the email address shown in one of the photographs. Matt Johnsnon <[email protected]> is a member of the NAR and attended NARAM59.

Capture.JPG

I trust it , Matt Johnson is a club member he posted on yahoo club group the ebay link yesterday

I sent Matt a message , see if can get the scoop :)

OK, somebody has finally come out with something cooler and even more difficult than the Saturn 1B... looks like an awesome kit.

Seller answered questions i had, and posted answers on the buy-it-now eBay page. Believe more photos have been added to the eBay page since initial posting as well.

Bob

I corresponded with Matt Johnson back in 2013 with regard to his 10" diameter Atlas/Mercury at NARAM-54. He launched his Atlas/Mercury before I launched mine. There is a video somewhere on the internet of a successful launch. Matt also had an N-1 rocket launch that was reported in Sport Rocketry magazine a few years ago. I think the N-1 launch had some problems. I assume this is the same Matt Johnson.

Last edited:
Hello
This is a 1/122 scale kit of the N1L3. February 1969.

I am Alex Shliadinski's representative in the US. I have worked with him and Nick Stevens since 2006 on the N1 Reference Book: For the Moon and Mars: N1 The Soviet Super Booster.

This is an official scale kit based on the three and four foot models I have been flying for years.

I have added more details to the eBay site including the boilerplate launch photos.

First fifty kits will be sent out December 5th.

Thank you for your interest!

Matt Johnson NAR 80690

I received my kit sometime within the last two weeks, don't remember exactly when. Everything looks good. Lots of paper shrouds, laser cut cardboard parts, detailed instructions, and reference guide. I would not have the patience to come up with this myself, and consider the money well spent on the kit.

Got home today, and there was a package waiting for me from Matt. Matt created a more durable, replacement part for the rocket kit, and mailed it without me having to ask about it (or even knowing about it for that matter). Matt also included a couple more detail parts in the package as well.

Now i just need to find time to build the kit, as it looks like it could take a good amount of time to build,

Bob

Well - I just pulled the trigger and ordered one.....
Just what I really don't need - another rocket :wink:

The Apogee product page for this kit is worth a read. Quite interesting and entertaining. My favorite bit:

The instructions recommend a magnifying glass to help you position all the small pieces. If you don't have bad eyesight prior to building this kit, you'll probably have it afterward.

I think Tim had fun writing this one. :)

Waiting for a proper build thread on one of these.

I just opened the box tonight. This kit looks extremely complicated. I think I saw it labelled as Skill Level 6. It has pages of instructions and information and parts are plentiful.

The Apogee product page for this kit is worth a read. Quite interesting and entertaining. My favorite bit:

The instructions recommend a magnifying glass to help you position all the small pieces. If you don't have bad eyesight prior to building this kit, you'll probably have it afterward.

I think Tim had fun writing this one. :)

Waiting for a proper build thread on one of these.

The kit was manufactured by Matt Johnson. He used to work at eRockets.

One available on sellers eBay site for $117.

I looked at that kit a few times, and $117 is as low of a price as it goes.
Alas, I could never motivate myself to pull the trigger on this kit ....... at any price.
It's just too rough, too fragile, will require too much time to put together. All that for an aesthetically not pleasing rocket, that was a total historical engineering failure.
I guess I am not THAT much of a masochist.
Yet.

I looked at that kit a few times, and $117 is as low of a price as it goes.
Alas, I could never motivate myself to pull the trigger on this kit ....... at any price.
It's just too rough, too fragile, will require too much time to put together. All that for an aesthetically not pleasing rocket, that was a total historical engineering failure.
I guess I am not THAT much of a masochist.
Yet.
This was my thinking after I read through the build thread. It just looked too rough a kit parts wise to spend that much money on and the design doesn't do that much for me.

Anybody tell us what motors this thing is recommended to fly with?

Maybe 30x Estes A-10-3t motors?

Just wondering

Brad, the "I hope it flies better than the original" "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

Anybody tell us what motors this thing is recommended to fly with?

Maybe 30x Estes A-10-3t motors?

Just wondering

I believe it's designed for six (6) 24mm motors, either D12's or E12's. AT composites would work as well, but may be harder to light.
There is an option to ditch the cluster setup and fly on a single 29mm motor mount, but that's not the default configuration.

It's designed for D12's. I wouldn't put E12's in it even if that was an option given how much work the thing is. The six inboard engines on the first stage were made into the motor mounts.
Yes, six D12-3's. I did the build thread (started by Nytunner). I have launched it twice on six D12-3's using e-matches. Every motor fired.

If you got 6 out of 6 motors to burn, you're doing better than the original ever did.

And is it designed for six in a star of David pattern...all six in the same circle? Or some other pattern?

Brad

And is it designed for six in a star of David pattern...all six in the same circle? Or some other pattern?

Looking at the pictures on the Apogee site, it appears that the motor mounts are in a circle.

Back