For the love of Rocketry (and Android)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
There is only one thing I really miss in moving from my iPhone to my Moto G5+ a few months back. It is one of my rocketry "go to" apps called Rocket Calculator. For anyone that hasn't used it, it is a comprehensive catch all for both rocketry-specific calculators and related references. Over the years, it basically had replaced all other disparate rocketry spreadsheets and web calculators found on the Internet whether during design/build and/or field prep before launch.

In any case the original developer, a true gentleman and scholar, had to drop ongoing support of the product back in March of this year. Although I don't believe he had any imminent plans for an Android version, it is now a possibility as he's placed his code on an open source site (see the link about halfway down on this site): https://rocketcalculator.wordpress.com. I have been in contact with the developer and I believe he would be open to help and answer questions so the app might be maintained. Saying that, although I designed/developed software for some time early in my career, it has now been decades. I think I could work through it, but it would take me quite a bit of time which just wouldn't be feasible with my current job demands.

So, although I'd consider this begging [emoji16], I'll throw it out there... might there be an Android/Google Play-savvy developer that could do this job far more quickly and skillfully than I? Another gentleman and scholar that could help the Android community benefit from this tool?

From the Ether...

I will take a look I have an app out there for android but it is in its early stages (very buggy and not the greatest at this point) and I haven't had much time to mess with it lately. I might have some time over the weekend to look into what he has and convert it into my app.

I took a quick look, its the source code for the product. Its written for Apple products (XCode) and would require a work to support android. That in-itself may not be to hard, a quick google search turned up several references to compiling XCode on android.

I will take a look I have an app out there for android but it is in its early stages (very buggy and not the greatest at this point) and I haven't had much time to mess with it lately. I might have some time over the weekend to look into what he has and convert it into my app.
Good point. If anyone was thinking of releasing something similar, this is a very complete product. Not sexy, but ultra-functional with all the options I ever used included.

From the Ether...

Last edited:
Wish I had known about this app earlier... Looks like its off the App Store, and from looking at the developer's website, it's not coming back.

Wish I had known about this app earlier... Looks like its off the App Store, and from looking at the developer's website, it's not coming back.
That is exactly what this thread is about. The source code is available open source, just wondering if someone wants to move it forward. Pricing on the app was $2.99 IIRC.

From the Ether...

That is exactly what this thread is about. The source code is available open source, just wondering if someone wants to move it forward. Pricing on the app was $2.99 IIRC.

From the Ether...

I once wrote a windows app for studying for the HAM exams. Used it myself to study and got 100% on the Technician class - I basically had all the answers memorized after using the app... I went through a process to make it available for the price of $14.99 IIRC... I literally only sold one copy... always felt like I should go back and give that one person back their money... :)

I'm on my first iPhone app myself (Featherweight Tracker in the other thread) but I was able to download the source mentioned and get it to compile (after fixing some errors - maybe not all files were uploaded to the source control, and apparently one dependency change with the new xCode compiler). It does work though on my iPhone now so at least I know what it does (you can't actually install from the store anymore if you didn't buy it originally)....

But my current priorities are entirely the iFIP program for the iPhone/Tracker and then port to Android for that. By then I should know enough about Android that the port might be easier but not sure of level of 'desire' out there vs other things to work on... ?

Back