Canard glider plans?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another source of info on canards but no BG versions. A lot of reading, good for those slow times.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?613556-Canard-Forum-Show-Discuss-Learn&perpage=20

Richard

This is what I gleaned from that R/C forum's thread on canards. I hope it helps others interested in designing these unique gliders.

> First of all, there is a great online tool for determining a canard's CG -- "Canard Center of Gravity Calculator" located here: https://rcplanes.000webhostapp.com/cg_canard.htm

> Regarding canard angle of attack: "The canard wing must stall first to keep the main wing flying. A canard’s positive AOA makes sure that the canard lifts the front of the plane before the rear wing does it's part. With increased speed, the canard raises the nose and this gives a positive AOA to the rear wing which then does its job. In other words, because the smaller canard wing will stall before the larger aft main wing and drop, it keeps the main wing from stalling and losing all lift.

> Canard incidence: generally, a 3.5° incidence works well. Less incidence is needed on fast and/or short nosed models. If the CG is closer to the glider's front, some positive incidence in the canard wing will help. I'm assuming the reverse is true (less or no incidence) if the glider is tail-heavy.
If your glider has already been built and tends to pitch up excessively or loop, then the issue may be too much incidence.

> Canard size: The area of the canard should generally be 30% of the main wing area.
If the area of the canard wing is too small, it will stall as the plane slows during climb out and the nose will drop, causing a gain in speed and the cycle repeats. This will result in a “hopping” movement as the glider stalls and recovers repeatedly. If this is the case, or the CG is too far forward, increasing the canard size by more than 30% will help.

> Canard wings with a small aspect ratio (ratio of the span to the mean chord of an airfoil) will stall faster.

> Regarding canard airfoils: If the chord is less than 5", sanding in an airfoil doesn't make a difference. What makes more of a difference is that case is incidence angle. If the chord is 5" and over, airfoiling the canard may help performance.

> Dihedral: Swept back leading edges on both the main wing and canard wing acts as dihedral (I’ve seen several swept-wing canard gliders that don’t rely on dihedral but have the wings mounted flat).

> Rudders should be located aft of the CG. The closer it is to the CG, the more area is needed.

Anyone know where I can find plans (or kits) for canard gliders? I'd like to get into the more interesting and challenging aspects of building/flying BGs/RGs. I know of only one plan/template sheet, and it's for the Beakers 2. (It's not clearly spelled out whether the canards are attached canted at an angle, and what that exact angle is, so I'd rather have a more proven glider with clearer templates and build instructions).

The canards on the Beakers-2 were attached perpendicular to the boom. The boom was 1/4" at its widest point, and the leading and trailing tips of the canards nearly touched the top and bottom of the boom. I'm not sure right off hand what that angle would be.

The beauty of the Beakers was its simplicity of design and build, the extremely lightweight pin and launch lug attachment (instead of some hook system), and its very stable boost phase. Plus, I've only ever seen one (not mine) Red Baron.

What I like about this Beakers 2 model is that it looks like a simple build. No moving parts. Found this photo of it all dressed up. Not sure where he got the stars and stripes monokote but it looks amazing.

That's not a stars and stripes pattern: Tom actually cut those stars and stripes pieces out separately and attached them to create the design. But I think he cut the stars out of the blue section and stuck it on over a white piece instead of trying to attach each star individually.

The Beakers then is attached upside down (from it's regular configuration) to better accommodate the cold-propellent booster rocket.

Here's a later Beakers-4 design that I flew at NARAM-21. I got talked into using a more-standard pop-pod design. It's a single rudder version.

Attachments

• February1980Beakers4highres.jpg
    February1980Beakers4highres.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 143
Here's a later Beakers-4 design that I flew at NARAM-21. I got talked into using a more-standard pop-pod design. It's a single rudder version.
I've since amassed quite a collection of canard plans and building them steadily as I can. The Beakers has always been a favorite of mine and near the top of the list. Your single rudder version just gave me the incentive to add it as one of my concurrent builds for this September.

Now you know I'm just going to have to build the Maxi Dacytl so I can add it to my existing Pterodactyl and Mini Dactyl and have the complete "family" to fly at launches. :)

In increasing order of magnitude, the "Pterosaur-based glider family" consists of : ( from 1974 to the present )

(1) Micro-Dactyl ( Micro-Maxx )
(2) Mini-Dactyl ( Centuri )
(3) Midi-Dactyl
(4) Dactyl
(5) Maxi-Dactyl
(6) Pterodactyl ( Enerjet )
(7) Pteranodon
(8) Quetzalcoatl ( the real one had a 36ft wingspan )

There are other "Pterosaur" names available for different scales of gliders :

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/18/f2/a1/18f2a100732c6ba4b61307459de22731.jpg

Dave F.

18f2a100732c6ba4b61307459de22731.jpg

Last edited:
In increasing order of magnitude, the "Pterosaur-based glider family" consists of : ( from 1974 to the present )

(1) Micro-Dactyl ( Micro-Maxx )
(2) Mini-Dactyl ( Centuri )
(3) Midi-Dactyl
(4) Dactyl
(5) Maxi-Dactyl
(6) Pterodactyl ( Enerjet )
(7) Pteranodon
(8) Quetzalcoatl ( the real one had a 36ft wingspan )

There are other "Pterosaur" names available for different scales of gliders :

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/18/f2/a1/18f2a100732c6ba4b61307459de22731.jpg

Dave F.

18f2a100732c6ba4b61307459de22731.jpg

Yoiks! If all those plans were available I'd really be in trouble... :confused:

Back