29 mm hybrids from Contrail Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ContrailRockets

Reaction score
Just wanted to know if the hybrid community had any interest in 29 mm hybrid motors. Using PVC grains with the same basic thread design as my 38 mm motors? G 80 and G 100 in a 12 inch motor. I also have a 22 inch tank and a 36 inch tank I have been playing with as well. I have Students in Florida who are competing and size does matter. The 22 inch motor should push out a 99% G and the 12 inch a 1% G as I refine testing the grain and tube may vary but wanted to know if flyers had any level of interest.
Tom Sanders
Contrail Rockets

I might be interested, depending on pricing etc.. Any idea what weight looks like?

Tom, my favorite hybrids were Todd's 29mm Skyrippers. I'm no longer flying, but they were great motors. Something similar would likely be welcome in the community, since the SRS loads are unobtanium..

KevinO

Tom,

the few of us remaining gas-passers would really like it if you could provide a 29mm SRS compatible reload. I doubt there would be much of a market for new hardware, however there is a community of us who have good hardware without available certified reloads.

Tom,

I can't believe you posted this. As you might already know from Denis, Hybrid rocket launches were flown this past Saturday in southern Bavaria.
If not here an example from the meet using your motors:
[video=youtube;cl27VL3bu_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl27VL3bu_o[/video]

Yesterday I more or less decided to go into Hybrid myself. So first thing I did was to check your website and see if you have 29mm Hybrids available. Sadly you don't (yet) :)
I would be planing on flying Hybrids in the US and Germany.

That being said I would be interested in a 29mm version if power range, ease of assembly and pricing fits my needs/expectations.

Leo

29er hybrids may have great future here in Euope where AP supplies is collapsing for diverse reasons, one important being certainly the need to recertify all stuff from CTI and aerotech...no one wants to support these costs.
Eventually your new administration could also just stop export.
In Germany we only have Klima that build motors up to D....So flyers may come back to the last possibility: micro hybrids and up...
Denis

Just wanted to know if the hybrid community had any interest in 29 mm hybrid motors. Using PVC grains with the same basic thread design as my 38 mm motors? G 80 and G 100 in a 12 inch motor. I also have a 22 inch tank and a 36 inch tank I have been playing with as well. I have Students in Florida who are competing and size does matter. The 22 inch motor should push out a 99% G and the 12 inch a 1% G as I refine testing the grain and tube may vary but wanted to know if flyers had any level of interest.
Tom Sanders
Contrail Rockets

Glad to here Contrail is still up and running. I feel for hybrids to catch on they need to made easier to assemble and have less ground support. Its very hard to hold up a launch so someone can get there hybrid rocket ready, I liked the Alpha hybrid type motor that can be prefilled and just walked out to the launch pad when ready. Is a 29mm micro type hybrid possible? The Contrail web site has not been up date for some time now. Are all motors and reloads still available?

Thanks Tom for your hybrid products

29mm hybrids would be incredible. You know what would be truly incredible? 29mm hybrids with a delay grain option. I'm <18 so I can't do pyro deploy... Even one that fired out the side would be fine, I can build around that... Not sure how feasible that is, just throwing it out there. It would gain you at least one customer... :wink:

Semi-related- Am I allowed to do compressed air for deployment? What about A10 "ullage motors" that pull the NC off? Hmmm... Trying to figure out a loophole to fly an upcoming 29mm hybrid through...

Last edited:
Looking at 29 mm motors 12,22,36 and per a request a 48 inch tank. Most of these will go to students in Florida. I have never seen a Skyripper motor or grain but am sure that I could duplicate or make an adapter so flyers can keep flying. Doug Pratt is working on the website and I will be moving both Trojan Hybrids and Mono Motors under the primary website Contrail Rockets. I do have a 12 volt igniter that is not Hazmat coming out as well as 29 mm motors and filling in the 54 mm motors that we never got to. Finding a way to work with TMT on testing on the west coast is a challenge or I will need to travel east. The goal is to double the 75 certified motors over the next 2 years.
I have been working on taking what I make and make them better. Many of the University projects have helped. Yale has a 78 inch 54 mm motor that is a Contrail Trojan combined. This concept has given me the ability to surpass the M-1040 Hypeprtek motor. Just need to know who wants what.
I am open to calls since the Buyout my address and phone number have changed and I have yet to get the website updated. You can go to ContrailRockets.net for updated information. This will get converted to ContrailRockets.com once all the information is transferred.

I have 18 sets of Trojan 75 mm motors and the same in 54 mm about 4 98 mm I have some 5 port 98mm Trojan grains and grains for 75 or 54 mm motors. Looking for fair offers would love to sell it all. With the Mono Motor line am focusing on Trojans have to big a restriction. The best I can do is an M-1200. Contrail Rockets is planning on making AP flyers wonder how they lost a drag race to a hybrid motor.
Who would be crazy enough to fly an EX M-15,000 about a .5 second burn at 100% continuous thrust.
I forgot to say that is in a 75 mm motor.
I am working on a 98 mm O 27,000 to put CTI in second place. The have a 132 mm O 25,000 which is an AP motor. I can make hybrids pound the ground and have also been working on staging for the more advanced flyer. All 75 98 and 152 motors are now ported for a second stage adapter.
Having trouble uploading images of Trojans I have them on my iphone.

Tom Sanders
Contrail Rockets
928-208-5580

I have always been interested in hybrids but the ground support is a little intimidating. If you came out with 29mm motors and a small compact and low fuss ground system could be cobbled together then I'd be in for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I have always been interested in hybrids but the ground support is a little intimidating. If you came out with 29mm motors and a small compact and low fuss ground system could be cobbled together then I'd be in for sure.

I flew my 29mm hybrid for years. When I finally burned the last of the fuel grains, I gave it away. A 29mm H70 requires exactly the same time, effort, and ground support equipment - with all its complexity - as a 66mm K240.

I guess what I'm trying to say is give hybrids a try - they're fun! - but don't be fooled into thinking that smaller hybrids are easier.

Tom,

I can't believe you posted this. As you might already know from Denis, Hybrid rocket launches were flown this past Saturday in southern Bavaria.
If not here an example from the meet using your motors:
[video=youtube;cl27VL3bu_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl27VL3bu_o[/video]

Yesterday I more or less decided to go into Hybrid myself. So first thing I did was to check your website and see if you have 29mm Hybrids available. Sadly you don't (yet) :)
I would be planing on flying Hybrids in the US and Germany.

That being said I would be interested in a 29mm version if power range, ease of assembly and pricing fits my needs/expectations.

Leo

Damn! Those motors sound amazing!! Such a guttural yet melodic roar!

I'm less interested in the 29mm as the other sizes. By the time you go ahead and build for the long 29mm then incorporate an av bay it really makes just going to 38 or 54 make more sense. One thing I really liked about the Hypertech is the larger diameter tank with the smaller diameter motor and a plate mount. A good J, K, L and M motor would be interesting to me.

Mike K

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

This is my mindset as well, I have always had an interest in hybrids but logistically the ground support is an issue coming from Canada to the US for most launches. Recently I have been invited to be a advisor for the University of Toronto Aerospace Team (UTAT) and they seem to have a very good understanding of hybrid propulsion systems. I am keen to pick up some knowledge through osmosis on both the technology and the logistics, and so hybrids may be in my future.

The gse isn't as hard as people make it out to be, especially for the Contrails. If anyone is interested, I launch hybrids often at Lucerne dry lakebed with ROC. Contact me ahead of time if you want to launch using my gse or just watch.

Mike Kramer

Back