Men Into Space

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Aerostadt! Not only have You put me on the right track, but You have inspired me to build a 1/73 scale Flying version in addition to the large scale version. in Your opinion, my New Friend, what would You say the size of the large scale model used in the show was? I'm guessing about 36". Your help is making this 66.5 years Young "kid" VERY happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's keep in touch! Your Friend, Larry

I'm glad I could help. My "Men Into Space" is based on the Estes 1/35 scale Atlas. It measures about 30" long. I tend to think that it is close to the size that Col. McCaulley is holding. I think that it was RocketGuy101 here on TRF had a scratch-built Atlas based on a BT-80 body tube.

It looks magnificent! I think that You are correct as to similarity of size to the prop McCauley held. Now if I can just figure out how to make the Helmets used with the soacesuits. Thanks again, my Friend.....Cheers!!!!!! Larry

I do also! Another one that I'd like to see built is a large scale "Rocketship XM"! Since I don't have the monies to buy the large Estes Atlas for the "MIS", I'm going to build the 1/73rd scale version from plans in the "Scale Rockets of the world" book. The large scale one will be a static version as I don't have the place to fly a large scale one. One would think that with Wright-Patterson Air Force Base just a few blocks away, there would be a model rocket flying Field, but there isn't to the best of my knowledge.

Hi Folks. I promised Aerostadt I would keep things up to date on my build of the "Men Into Space" Atlas/R.M.-1 build. I was net surfing and saw a site that I hadn't been on in quite a while: www.cardmodels-r.ru. and L. Cherkashyn has some of the most amazing models on the net. I'm sure most of You are aware of this site. Anyway, I noticed He had put up some new models: To wit; A1/48th scale Gemini/Titan and not only 1 !/48th scale Mercury with escape tower, but a 1/24th scale one as well AND His !/48th scale Atlas to go with Mercury, if wanted!!!!!! As much as I would love a 1/35th scale Atlas/M.R.-1, I'll settle for the 1/48th scale with a scratch built M.R. I also printed out a second Atlas to go with the 1/48th scale Mercury kit.

BTW, the hatch on the side of theM.R.-1 is only 4' tall. If You look at the crew leaving through the hatch, You can see that they are having to bend down about a Foot or so.

If You haven't been on Cherkashyn's site, it is chock full of interesting Russian Rockets, including their version of the Apollo CSM and Lunar lander, a.k.a. the "Lunar Kabin" . There ends my report. LOLOL!!!! Updates will be posted when and how I get them done. Cheers!

Now I'm sure that this will create some debate, but after renewing some of my contacts out in Lotus Eaters land (California), I found out something about the MR-3 model seen in several scenes of Col. McCauley and Co. shown holding. The MR-3 model, one of my elderly contacts who worked for ZIV-TV told me, (NOT the Atlas sections, but the "Manned "section), had an International Orange dorsal and Ventral fins with a sort of pyramidal shaped "Swoosh" on the Dorsal of the capsule. He also said that there were originally plans to paint the full size mock up the same way, but due to budget constraints couldn't be done. So only the model, which was about 2.5" long had the orange markings. if we look at the illios that the late Chesley Bonestell did for the show, We see that the upper parts of the ship DID have International Orange markings on them. Not all of them, but a few. So my markings will match the miniature as seen being held in the pictures. Comments anyone? Cheers!

In general I am not a stickler for details, so it is possible that the manned section had those markings, but I don't recall seeing anything like that in the TV series. I know there were a lot of Atlas markings that I did not include. As I recall I think there is one episode that showed a full scale mock-up of the manned section. I don't know how they could have afforded that. Fantastic Plastic did not show any orange markings on their re-creation. I was not aware that Bonestell did any art work for the show.

Hi Aerostadt!
You are correct that the full size mock-up didn't have the markings. Might I suggest the late John C. Fredriksen's book, "Men Into Space" which gives a very full account of the series and covers Bonestell's connection with the series. They used the full size prop in the pilot for the series and a number of episodes. It was part of the budget for the pilot episode. No, Fantastic Plastic doesn't show orange markings because it was based on the full size mock-up. From what I was told, the 2.5' model didn't have a lot of the smaller Atlas markings, because it wouldn't have been seen on the film in use at the time. You've done a terrific job on Your model! Please don't knock Your work as it matched what You saw on the show. It's kind of like the 50 year old argument as to what color the Starship Enterprise was. We didn't find out the true color until the Smithsonian did a restore and conserve a few years ago. We have to guess as best we can and look for more pictures of the model , my Friend. Cheers!

Hi Aerostadt,
I think that You will enjoy the book. It's too bad that the author died aa few years ago. It would have been nice to "pick" his brain, so to speak. However, it appears that a lot of the photos are available through the University of Wisconsin. When I get a chance, I'm going to check it out. BTW, when I was a kid in grade school, I had one of the Ideal Toys "Colonel McCauley Men Into Space helmets. I kept that until I went into the Navy. Mom and Dad got rid of a bunch of my stuff. Oh well, the helmet had stopped fitting by then. Let me know what You think of the book, please. I find it handy not only for the photos, but the story outlines and such. Cheers!

Back