Some neighbors say, "No Tanks!"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seriously made purple houses illegal? Now I've seen everything.

Making something 'illegal" is going against state and federal law. You use terms loosely. It is against the HOA as it does not fall under the accepted color schemes for homes in our community.

It's not just state and federal law. You have used to coercive power of the state to tell other free American citizens what is not acceptable. You have codified the rules of the HOA into something enforceable with punishment, so it is effectively law.

Murder=illegal.
Rape=illegal.
Assault=illegal.
Theft=illegal.
Purple houses=totally illegal.

You people just seem silly.

It means everything to me in regards to what I DON'T want in my life and that is slovenly neighbors. You can have them. Enjoy.

*Couldn't care less*. I guess I'm done as well. Anyone who is so offended by a purple house that they think it should be declared illegal is beyond reason. I'd hate for you to be my RSO, you'd take one look at my rocket colors and crap yourself and declare them unsafe.

Yes, yes, yes, you win the award for most dramatic depiction of HOA life there is. Clap, clap, clap.

You haven't been looking at all the examples. Did you just fall asleep?

I looked at most all of your examples. I didn't see anything that rose above curiosity or simply a "meh." I've known people who lived in places that looked like that (and far worse) and been a guest in their homes and they are wonderful people. I have been criticized because we didn't keep up our yard to the standards expected by some of our neighbors while a) I was a full time student, and b) holding down a full-time job, and c) raising three elementary school children and d) caring for my wife who had just had a double transplant surgery and was laid up for six months to a year (long story). At the same time, we made so little money that financially there wasn't much we could do about some other problems.

My lesson from all of that is that people are far more important than money, or pretty yards.

I know I won't convince you that HOAs are a bad thing. I'm not sure they are. But I'm pretty sure that most HOAs have their priorities in places that I have deliberately chosen not to put them. I decided long ago that money wasn't going to be that important to me. I *is* important, but I won't let it be a priority to the point that I begin to mock people who can't afford to have what I have.

Incidentally, some of the pictures that you linked to show some really amazing adaptive skills and good old American ingenuity. I was impressed with how some people were able to adapt and overcome and make their lives better (and their families) on what obviously must be a significant lack of funds.

In the end, we don't disagree by much. HOA are fine for people who want them but many of us despise them for the same reasons that you think they are wonderful. From my point of view, the best thing about them is that the people who like them are less likely to live anywhere near me.

People who do not like what an HOA offers should not move into a community with an HOA. They're VERY easy to avoid, all you have to do is not purposely enter into an HOA agreement.

People who do not like what an HOA offers sometimes find themselves in a neighborhood where everything looked great when they moved in, and then years later the house across the street gets sold to someone that enjoys decorating their yard with "kitch". This happened to me. I'd never thought about an HOA prior to that but there was nothing that I could (or should) do when the neighborhood just went to pot. As was mentioned above, it's someone else's property and they were free to do with it what they wanted without regard to my feelings. There were no rules or laws against it. It wasn't so much that my property values went down, but that they wouldn't go up much, and mostly that I had to look at that crap on a daily basis every time I left or came home. I never want to be in that situation again.

If you don't like what an HOA offers, and yet you're okay with someone near you doing that kind of thing to their yard, then you're okay and don't NEED an HOA. Stay out of them. Seems strange that you're unwilling to complain about a neighbor with a trashy yard but you are willing to complain about a non-neighbor with a legal contract that they entered into willingly. Why should you care?

I enjoy HOA's as they're designed to keep this sort of thing out as well as preventing people from painting their house horrid colors and keeping the neighborhood in general looking good. It DOES keep property values up.

I'll take that risk vs the loss in value of my bank account of 30 years worth of HOA dues.

I'll take that risk vs the loss in value of my bank account of 30 years worth of HOA dues.

That may be fine if a house isn't worth that much in comparison. We bought ours for $1,285,000 in a community that's still being built. If the value only went up by 2% we would still make roughly $20,000 in a year WITH HOA fees taken out. You will get to the point of diminishing returns eventually. We haven't.

That may be fine if a house isn't worth that much in comparison. We bought ours for $1,285,000 in a community that's still being built. If the value only went up by 2% we would still make roughly $20,000 in a year WITH HOA fees taken out. You will get to the point of diminishing returns eventually. We haven't.

That explains all I need to know right there.

So after all this do we know which one of you guys has the bigger one???

Back